Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche accuses Nissan of falsifying GT-R Nurburgring lap times (& Nissan responds )

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 12:55 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Doug, Motor Trend tested a GS 400 L-tuned once but that was when it wasn't official. Lexus used to send GSs with the silly 16" wheels to comparos sometimes (sigh)......
Yep, I remember that - I also remember the GS400/430 coming in a close second to the 540 and let me tell you, there is no way in hell that happened with the stock suspension.
Old 09-30-08, 01:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Yep, I remember that - I also remember the GS400/430 coming in a close second to the 540 and let me tell you, there is no way in hell that happened with the stock suspension.
Indeed.. Which stock GS400 at the time had this stance?

Back to the topic, the track time by the heavy GTR should raise eyebrows.
Old 09-30-08, 01:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Back to the topic, the track time by the heavily underrated GTR shouldn't raise eyebrows.
Corrected for you.....
Old 09-30-08, 02:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

eh, id still get the 911 over a gt-r haha.
Old 09-30-08, 03:56 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it so hard to believe the gtr is that fast? i understand back in the dark ages why people refused to believe the world was round. but now people are so cynical even with videos and multiple comparisons that nothing is to be believed. nothing short of being an automotive engineer will allow one to understand what is possible for a car. most people dont have a grasp at high school physics, so its no surprise.

but maybe its bias. after all no one questioned a veyron for being faster than a freakin F1 racecar. how is that possible? look at the specs. the 2008 mclaren vodafone F1 car weighs 1322 lbs including driver and camera gear. power is rated over 700. the veyron is a massive 4160lbs with 1001 hp. its power to weight is nearly half that of the F1. but it is...
Old 09-30-08, 04:32 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Two quick and easychanges can be made to mess up any ring time order, tires and raising the turbo/supercharger boost. Now chevy claims the Corvette ZR-1 is faster then the GT2 and GT-R around the nurenburg ring. So we'll see, but I don't think you can buy that same car at your local chevy dealer.
Old 09-30-08, 04:34 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
is it so hard to believe the gtr is that fast? i understand back in the dark ages why people refused to believe the world was round. but now people are so cynical even with videos and multiple comparisons that nothing is to be believed. nothing short of being an automotive engineer will allow one to understand what is possible for a car. most people dont have a grasp at high school physics, so its no surprise.

but maybe its bias. after all no one questioned a veyron for being faster than a freakin F1 racecar. how is that possible? look at the specs. the 2008 mclaren vodafone F1 car weighs 1322 lbs including driver and camera gear. power is rated over 700. the veyron is a massive 4160lbs with 1001 hp. its power to weight is nearly half that of the F1. but it is...
Because many factors affect top speed but weight is not one of them. Well, it does indirectly but so insignificant that you can pretty much leave it out of the equation. The only thing the Veyron has over the F1 car is top speed and that's about it.

Veyron
0-100km/h = 2.5s
0-200km/h = 7.4s
0-300km/h = 16.7

F1 Car
0-100km/h = 1.7s
0-200km/h = 3.8s
0-300km/h = 8.6s

Last edited by newr; 09-30-08 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 04:40 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr

LOL

"The German sports carmaker even purchased its own GT-R and set about testing it against both the 911 Turbo and GT2 and in both cases it claims the GT-R was the slowest"

Duh!!!!!!11 ROFL....

I thought that most, if not all, of the comparos on various race tracks, the GT-R is already quicker than the 911 Turbo & Z06. What do they have to say to that.? That was not a classy move by Porsche.
I agree. If Porsche don't believe Nissan's claims, why should we believe Porsche's? People could also say that Porsche intentionally detune the GT-Rs that they bought so that two particular GT-Rs are actually slower. Or, they could intentionally tune up the 911s they tested so they are much faster than the production one, basically they could claim anything. Therefore, I chose to trust the many many car reviews and comparisons out there done by various groups. Plus, discrediting others wouldn't help you being better, improving your products could.
Old 09-30-08, 04:55 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

so pretty much porsche is calling nissan out.
did they buy a gt-r to reverse engineer some of the tech nissan put in the gt-r, or just to see if nissan was lying?
either way, there really wasn't a need to go public with this finding unless they wanted negative publicity towards nissan.
unexpected and not classsy of porsche.
Old 09-30-08, 05:11 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
then shut up and bring out a GT3RSRSRSRSRS that'll out run everyone.
lol +1 Porsche needs to lighten their cars more

Also, what most of you posters don't realize is this:

The secret to the heavy GT-R's fast times? IT HAS SHORT GEARING!
How is it possible that it could barely beat a lot of supercars in a drag race, even tho it's heavier and/or makes less power? IT HAS SHORT GEARING!

HOW HOW HOW??? SHORT GEARING!

What's the GT-R max out at anywas? like 155 cuz of the short gearing?

PS I'm not saying in anyway that it got the 7 min and 29 seconds on the ring.

PPS I <3 both cars and companies equally (ok fine I only like a handful of nissans and all porsches) so I'm not saying either one is junk. They're both orgasmic

Last edited by nabbun; 09-30-08 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Are you and Sean serious. We are talking about the GT-R vs Porsche and you guys bring us the 2GS? Why?

THere never was any 540 vs GS on the track comparos, having driven both on the street, the 540 does get the edge IMO with the GS right behind it.

I cannot believe the 2GS is picked on like its the only car to have OEM photos with a lower stance.

Old 09-30-08, 07:44 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sample size of 1???

Unless they have some inside dirt on what Nissan was doing at the track you
can't draw definitive conclusions.
Old 09-30-08, 07:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought this was common knowledge? I never believed those times Nissan said they got, and I still dont. Until I see more third party test of the GTR on the ring, I wont believe what Nissan marketers are telling me.

Take the cars to the track, have a third party test and record the times is all I ask.
Old 09-30-08, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Well G I am a fan of Porsche and the GT-R clearly....and there are independent testers that did not get anywhere close to 7:29...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4051269&page=5

GReat there there I am participating in. SOme silly posts but lots of data on the other tests.

Old 09-30-08, 08:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

lol.....yea. ANd I remember reading Autoweek and seeing postings from an Italian mag Quattroroute that had the GTR in the mid 7:40 to low 7:50 range where IMO it should be. Right on par with the 911, F430, LP560 and not faster than Enzo's, Pagani's and Carerra GT's.

Either way its still an awesome car at a great price (even after the 9K price bump for '09) that I would at least like to check out soon.

Quick Reply: Porsche accuses Nissan of falsifying GT-R Nurburgring lap times (& Nissan responds )