Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche accuses Nissan of falsifying GT-R Nurburgring lap times (& Nissan responds )

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 07:55 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
[B]Nissan has revealed that the GT-R used in the official lap time was actually at a disadvantage due to up to 50kg of testing equipment. According to GTRblog, Nissan has also offered free driver training for Porsche if it wants to attempt a second lap.
Lol, this is hilarious! What a ******-slap by Nissan to Porsche!
Old 10-09-08, 08:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I have moved ^^ 2 posts to the right thread & deleted the uneccessary posts.
Old 10-09-08, 04:34 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Meanwhile...

The new V-Spec will feature a new braking system, lowered suspension, new carbon-fiber accessories (due to this the car will drop 250 kg) and more power, up to 530 hp.
And yet the V-spec could only handle a time of 4 seconds faster than the standard spec... Over 500lbs drop and quite a horsepower gain... I suppose we could expect some 6 min times from the GTR V-spec when they run the car "officially".
Old 10-09-08, 09:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

I seriously doubt that the GTR can come close to beating the 911 at a place like the ring, but I suppose people believe what they want to believe.
Its statements like this that put a smile on my face every time a GTR smokes a 911 turbo. Denial denial denial. Dont be sad. Porsche needs to get its **** together. In the end they will never beat the GTR, because of the price.
Old 10-10-08, 12:00 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
So a car that has about a two lbs per horsepower beat the GTR on a short corse ,but yet on a long corse like at the ring it was able to keep up with the Carrea GT and the Enzo?
And the Carrera GT has a power-to-weight ratio of 5.03 pounds per horsepower which is even better than the F430 by a long shot and it was only able to lap 1 second faster than the GTR on the ring. Must be that magic 4wd system it has. Oh and the Enzo with 4.56 pounds per horsepower could only manage a lap at the ring 7:25 only four seconds faster than the GTR, what was that power to weight ratio again on a stock GTR? 8.1157lbs/hp. Yes it must be that magic sophisticated AWD setup... Not to mention the much lower center of gravity on the Enzo...
Yes, the numbers you showed above shows that power to weight ratio isn't everything. GT-R is THAT good. And as far as I know, 911 Turbo can't beat F430 Scuderia, can't beat Enzo, can't beat Carrera GT(of course), so if GT-R is so close to these cars, I could directly predict that GT-R is faster than 911 Turbo.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 10-10-08 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 06:52 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In the end they will never beat the GTR, because of the price.
And in the end the GT-R can't beat the 911 in terms of prestige.

People forget that owning a Porsche is quite different than owning a Nissan that can beat a Porsche. I'm not knocking on the GT-R. For what the GT-R is and it's price it's phenomenal but Porsche is not losing too many sales to Nissan.
Old 10-10-08, 06:58 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

^^^ just like comparing Corvettes to Porsches and higher end supercars.

Yes it's great(er) bang for the buck but you still get what you pay for in lack of quality materials and what not.
Old 10-10-08, 07:07 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its statements like this that put a smile on my face every time a GTR smokes a 911 turbo. Denial denial denial. Dont be sad. Porsche needs to get its **** together. In the end they will never beat the GTR, because of the price.
I am afraid that there will be very , very little sales lost to Porsche from the GTR. I would go so far as to say that the GTR would not even come into the picture. People who are in the market for a Porsche are a completely different breed. I can't remmember where I read it , but someone summed up GTR buyers quite well, "The GTR is for those who can't afford a true super car , but are willing to part the better portion of their saleries.".

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Yes, the numbers you showed above shows that power to weight ratio isn't everything. GT-R is THAT good. And as far as I know, 911 Turbo can't beat F430 Scuderia, can't beat Enzo, can't beat Carrera GT(of course), so if GT-R is so close to these cars, I could directly predict that GT-R is faster than 911 Turbo.
You say "IF" the GTR is as fast as those cars...

But...But...But... the 911 has a faster time than the Ferrari 430 Scuderia at Nürburgring??? Who are we to believe??? Oh, this is too much.. the GTR must be what everyone is saying it is. Wiki never lies and so does Nissan... Again , it must be that magic AWD that is doing the trick...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times
Old 10-10-08, 07:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I don't think Nissan ever said it wanted to steal sales away from Porsche. They benchmarked the 911 as a performance bogey. The GT-R has a history and following in its own right and those seem to be the people Nissan is concerned with first and foremost.

But I think Porsche has taken notice in any case.
Old 10-10-08, 07:28 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nabbun
^^^ just like comparing Corvettes to Porsches and higher end supercars.

Yes it's great(er) bang for the buck but you still get what you pay for in lack of quality materials and what not.
Actually for what you pay for, the cabin of a Porsche is pretty... plain. But it has the panache of being a Porsche. The name itself melts hearts of boys and girls all around. Buying a Porsche is a statement of money and lifestyle.
Old 10-10-08, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Glad to see Nissan stick it to Porsche and not back down here. I don't think they pushed the V-spec back for more sales, me has a feeling it was ready.

Me has a feeling (lol) that Nissan is pissed at Porsche and will invest even more in the V-spec to ensure it destroys a timed lap vs a Porsche.

Oh my!!!

Old 10-16-08, 09:06 PM
YARDMAN22
Rookie

some info and vid i found if its already posted sorry...
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/n...ond-video-and/