Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche accuses Nissan of falsifying GT-R Nurburgring lap times (& Nissan responds )

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 07:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Porsche accuses Nissan of falsifying GT-R Nurburgring lap times (& Nissan responds )

Porsche claims Nissan used competition semi-slick tires for Nurburgring lap times

Porsche accuses Nissan of falsifying GT-R Nurburgring lap times

There’s something very puzzling about Nissan’s all-new GT-R supercar. Its official output figures read 480hp (358kW) and 588Nm (434lb-ft) of torque and its mass registers at 1,723kg, but the car can still outrun the 911 Turbo around the notorious Nurburgring by a healthy margin despite the Porsche weighing less and producing more torque (1633kg and 457lb-ft respectively).

Nissan’s official lap time for the Nurburgring is a blistering 7m 29s, set back in May. The lap times were for a stock-standard base specification GT-R fitted with the same Japanese market tires as the cars in showrooms, according to claims by Nissan.

Porsche, however, claims Nissan falsified these numbers and posted the quicker times because of semi-slick race-style tires. The German sports carmaker even purchased its own GT-R and set about testing it against both the 911 Turbo and GT2 and in both cases it claims the GT-R was the slowest. The laps were run by one of Porsche’s chassis development engineers and not its regular tester, former world rally champion and race winner Walter Rohrl.

Speaking with Australia’s CarsGuide this week, Porsche’s 911 product chief August Achleitner said the GT-R used by Nissan to post its official times could not have been a regular series production car.

He said Porsche took a standard GT-R bought in the United States and running on regular road tires, and was tested on the same day as the pair of 911s. According to Porsche, the GT-R posted a time of 7m 54s, with the 911 Turbo managing 7m 38s and the GT2 getting down to 7m 34s.
http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/mo...t_nurburgring/

source

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-30-08 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 07:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wasnt this debunked because the translation was bad. Yea id trust porsche testing a GTR and saying its slower than their 911

Sore Losers
Old 09-30-08, 07:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

this is what I would suspect too - manufacturers using cars tuned for the ring specifically...
Old 09-30-08, 07:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I can see this winding up on Top Gear.
Old 09-30-08, 07:40 AM
LexFather

This is going to spread through the internet like free ****.....

I can't see it being 20 seconds slower....A time of 7:54 is no better than the R32 fwiw.....

I wonder what Nissan will say?

Old 09-30-08, 07:51 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

then shut up and bring out a GT3RSRSRSRSRS that'll out run everyone.

Last edited by kit cat; 09-30-08 at 07:52 AM. Reason: CL sensors s.t.f.u
Old 09-30-08, 08:16 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is what I would suspect too - manufacturers using cars tuned for the ring specifically...
Oh of course that's been a case for a long time now. Not just for Ring but for magazines, etc.
I was a witness when my buddy who used to own a BMW dealership brought rigged 5series from factory for some local handling test against E-Class and A6 few years ago. He told me it was specifically prepared for this kind of test.

If they do these things on local levels you cant imagine whats going on for publicity that should go around the globe
Old 09-30-08, 08:33 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I can see this winding up on Top Gear.

They are already on a first name basis with the Ring Taxi... Might as well, right? It would make for great TV, that's for sure.
Old 09-30-08, 08:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not quell the myths and duplicate the run with the press present Nissan?
Old 09-30-08, 09:05 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This smacks of desperation on Porsche's part. Instead of trying to discredit Nissan's Nurburgring time by saying they couldn't duplicate it (It's not rocket science to figure out I wonder they couldn't) why not document a faster run in a Porsche?
Old 09-30-08, 10:20 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

What is interesting is that cars magazines have been getting inconsistent times with the GT-R. Some are amazingly quick so are just quick. Seems the early pre-release cars were really fast, the first released cars were a bit slower, and the current cars are fast again.

BTW, I don't doubt that manufacturers give special cars to car magazines. I'm betting the GS400/430 tested by the car mags had the L-tuned suspension....
Old 09-30-08, 10:29 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

If you know how much has 911's sales dropped this year, you wouldn't wonder why Porsche did this accusation. But the thing is, many many magzines from many different countries have done the comparisons between GT-R and 911 Turbo or even 911 GT2 and almost all the time GT-R won. There is no doubt Nissan is hiding something, but most people claim that Nissan is hiding the fact that this GT-R actually produce much higher horsepower than the claimed 480hp.
Old 09-30-08, 11:49 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

^ i concur

but of course Porsche wouldnt want to admit that the GT-R produces more HP than a 911 Turbo anyways
it would just help the sales of GT-R more
Old 09-30-08, 12:28 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Yea id trust porsche testing a GTR and saying its slower than their 911

Sore Losers

LOL

"The German sports carmaker even purchased its own GT-R and set about testing it against both the 911 Turbo and GT2 and in both cases it claims the GT-R was the slowest"

Duh!!!!!!11 ROFL....

I thought that most, if not all, of the comparos on various race tracks, the GT-R is already quicker than the 911 Turbo & Z06. What do they have to say to that.? That was not a classy move by Porsche.
Old 09-30-08, 12:34 PM
LexFather

The drop in 911 sales has pretty much nothing to do with the GT-R.
I don't think Porsche is not saying the GT-R is capable, its saying "how the hell did it get a 7:29".

Doug, Motor Trend tested a GS 400 L-tuned once but that was when it wasn't official. Lexus used to send GSs with the silly 16" wheels to comparos sometimes (sigh)......

Quick Reply: Porsche accuses Nissan of falsifying GT-R Nurburgring lap times (& Nissan responds )