Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SEPTEMBER 2008 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08 | 05:46 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Its pretty simple, people can't borrow money to buy cars.
Old 10-02-08 | 05:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS69
Like I said, 3rd in its class. The M3/45 was making its move earlier this year & now Lincoln seems to be a threat but GS has always sold well behind the usual top 2.

The hybrid & new engines did not seem to boost sales & if they make a GS-F, I doubt that that will help either. I am sure Lexus will bring it w/ the next generation ... I hope.
He is right. The GS, while selling much less than the E and 5, has always been 3rd best selling in class. Also, the 5/E come in more variants, including wagons, and M/AMG models. The 5 has 3 engine choices.

The GS sales target was 36k its first year, way lower than the E or 5 targets.
Old 10-02-08 | 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS69
Like I said, 3rd in its class.

In '07 (his figures).

In September, the GS is behind Genesis and I think MKS too.

The current gen GS will never catch up, it's already behind in so many ways. And given the slow sales, they will be even rarer at dealerships and given the extremely slow ordering process and option inflexibility, those will be additional hindrances. I predict a 1000 or so a month for the next few months.
Old 10-02-08 | 07:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

In '07 (his figures).

The current gen GS will never catch up, it's already behind in so many ways. And given the slow sales, they will be even rarer at dealerships and given the extremely slow ordering process and option inflexibility, those will be additional hindrances. I predict a 1000 or so a month for the next few months.
One month does not a trend make. Let's see if the same holds true when we see year-end sales figures in the class.
Old 10-03-08 | 11:40 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Mods - not sure if this is better placed here or start it's own thread but we discuss more impact of financing deals skewing sales here than anywhere else (are you watching Doug?). Searched, and didn't see it anywhere else which I thought was a little hard to believe:

Toyota announces zero-percent financing

Oct 3, 6:59 AM (ET)

DETROIT (AP) - Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) has announced zero-percent financing on 11 models as it tries to woo would-be buyers sidelined by the consumer credit crunch.

The top Japanese automaker's U.S. division said Thursday in a news release that the incentives range from 36 to 60 months and are being offered on the Matrix, Corolla, Camry, RAV4, Highlander, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma and Tundra.

Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter says the automaker had the inventory of fuel-efficient models and the capacity to finance or lease them.

Toyota reported Wednesday that its U.S. sales dropped 32 percent last month. The automaker blamed overall economic conditions and a lack of consumer confidence.

Let the usual spin begin but it is nice to see that Toyota has the yen in the bank to subsidize sales.
Old 10-03-08 | 12:27 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Mods - not sure if this is better placed here or start it's own thread but we discuss more impact of financing deals skewing sales here than anywhere else (are you watching Doug?). Searched, and didn't see it anywhere else which I thought was a little hard to believe:

Toyota announces zero-percent financing

Oct 3, 6:59 AM (ET)

DETROIT (AP) - Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) has announced zero-percent financing on 11 models as it tries to woo would-be buyers sidelined by the consumer credit crunch.

The top Japanese automaker's U.S. division said Thursday in a news release that the incentives range from 36 to 60 months and are being offered on the Matrix, Corolla, Camry, RAV4, Highlander, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma and Tundra.

Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter says the automaker had the inventory of fuel-efficient models and the capacity to finance or lease them.

Toyota reported Wednesday that its U.S. sales dropped 32 percent last month. The automaker blamed overall economic conditions and a lack of consumer confidence.

Let the usual spin begin but it is nice to see that Toyota has the yen in the bank to subsidize sales.
What's really interesting here is that this is one of the first nationwide promotions I've seen from Toyota in a long long while (maybe ever). Plenty of yodels here are quick to point to Honda spiffs when Toyota does the exact same thing - except on a regional (hint, not on the web) basis.

I personally HATE low finance rates like this. I start to get all sorts of crazy stupid ideas (like the one I had in July of this year) and things like "hey, I could pick up a new Corolla for the mother in-law and wow, a Sequoia to replace the MDX....". Hate these deals.

Last edited by doug_999; 10-03-08 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-03-08 | 05:53 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
What's really interesting here is that this is one of the first nationwide promotions I've seen from Toyota in a long long while (maybe ever). Plenty of yodels here are quick to point to Honda spiffs when Toyota does the exact same thing - except on a regional (hint, not on the web) basis.

I personally HATE low finance rates like this. I start to get all sorts of crazy stupid ideas (like the one I had in July of this year) and things like "hey, I could pick up a new Corolla for the mother in-law and wow, a Sequoia to replace the MDX....". Hate these deals.
I really don't know the details of the Toyota 0% financing but I hear you on them being incentives for actions that are maybe better left unacted on. That left brain-right brain stuff gets tricky sometimes but I don't know what to say about 0% financing. On autos it doesn't get any better. Shoot, use our money for I guess a couple of years and don't pay a penny for the privilege. But I should check the details before I say too much.

Have to take your opinion over mine, I don't know when or if Toyota has done something like this before. Should be interesting to see what impact it might have on sales for October and if anyone else decides to match it. If you have the capability and can manage credit, it ain't such a bad time.
Old 10-03-08 | 07:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota has done nationwide deals before, but I'm shocked they are resorting to zero percent financing. Hopefully this is a short-term temporary thing because this will NOT be good in the long term. I'm sure Toyota realizes the consequences of resorting to this.
Old 10-03-08 | 07:25 PM
LexFather

I've never seen anything like this from Toyota. This is VERY assuring that things are going to get BAAAAAD.

"Going to get" car sales will get worse.
Old 10-04-08 | 02:07 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

what are the consequences of 0% financing?
Old 10-04-08 | 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
You don't pay any interest?

Basically Toyota needed something to compete with GM which has gained market share the past 2 months.
Old 10-04-08 | 11:17 AM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Very slim profit margins
Old 10-06-08 | 04:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

In '07 (his figures).

Problem is that compared to the E and 5, the current GS is third in a class of two.
Old 10-10-08 | 11:11 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

ANd of course the UK is feeling it too...

Britain's new car market is in deep trouble, official sales figures today confirm. September is historically one of the two biggest registration months of the year, as buyers rush to snap up the autumn's new number plate – yet sales were down by a fifth last month.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, which collates sales data from dealers, called it 'stormy September', as new-car registrations plummeted by 21 percent from last year's figure to 330,295. That's the lowest level since the UK switched to a twice-yearly plate change in 1999.

2008: new-car sales misery

And it's not just a slow month: the year to date is also down by 8 percent, causing the forecasters to nudge their predictions for 2008 downwards, as the credit crunch continues to affect consumer confidence.

Paul Everitt, the SMMT's new chief exec, said: 'Registrations have fallen for the fifth consecutive month and represent the most difficult economic conditions the industry has faced in 17 years.' He called on the Government to scrap planned increases in car tax that would see high CO2 polluter hammered by soaring bills.

And ACEA, the European trade body, is demanding an EU-wide incentive scheme to scrap cars more than eight years old – at a stroke removing the worst polluters and supporting new-car sales. Guess what? A significant 36 percent of cars in Europe are older than that, but we can't see any politicians seriously undertaking anything like this on a continent-wide scale...

Is anything selling well?

Well, the Vauxhall Corsa is the first car this millennium to dislodge the Ford Focus from the top spot in the bestsellers' chart for more than one month. It has been Britain's most popular new car for two consecutive months.

But it's mostly miserable news. Edited lowlights include:

• Alfa Romeo sales down 44 percent, September 2008 vs 2007
• Aston Martin -15 percent
• Bentley -48 percent
• BMW -24 percent
• Cadillac -62 percent
• Chevrolet -11 percent
• Chrsyler -69 percent
• Citroen -22 percent
• Corvette -50 percent
• Daihatsu -18 percent
• Dodge -19 percent
• Fiat -10 percent
• Ford -23 percent
• Honda -40 percent
• Hyundai -10 percent
• Jeep -61 percent
• Kia -5 percent
• Land Rover -50 percent
• Lexus -44 percent
• Lotus -19 percent
• Mazda -2 percent
• Mercedes-Benz -9 percent
• Mini -19 percent
• Mitsubishi -33 percent
• Nissan -15 percent
• Peugeot -28 percent
• Porsche -33 percent
• Renault -51 percent
• Saab -47 percent
• Seat -41 percent
• Skoda -15 percent
• Ssangyong -57 percent
• Subaru -40 percent
• Suzuki -19 percent
• Toyota -10 percent
• Vauxhall -17 percent
• Volvo -6 percent
• VW -11 percent

Only four brands posted an increase over September 2007:

• Audi +1 percent
• Hummer +25 percent
• Jaguar +4 percent
• Smart +9 percent

Analysts predict that the UK car market won't recover until the third quarter of 2009. Sounds like there will be a heap more pain to come...
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...-for-17-years/
Old 10-10-08 | 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Hummer +25 percent
Got a chuckle out of that. I guess they sold 5 instead of 4.

Quick Reply: SEPTEMBER 2008 Vehicles Sales