Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW prices were already too high and it looks like they raised them some more this MY

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 01:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i honestly don't know why anyone would by a 50k series, unless it was an m3 or convertable. I mean it's a great car really, but didnt wasn't 3 series created to be a bmw for the average guy. I mean they are nice cars, but not 50 grand nice. Honestly, all of bmw is overpriced, but the 3 series is the worste, while i am not a fan, i think real value goes to either jaguar or lexus. Both with pros and cons
Old 10-03-08, 01:46 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
i honestly don't know why anyone would by a 50k series, unless it was an m3 or convertable. I mean it's a great car really, but didnt wasn't 3 series created to be a bmw for the average guy. I mean they are nice cars, but not 50 grand nice. Honestly, all of bmw is overpriced, but the 3 series is the worste, while i am not a fan, i think real value goes to either jaguar or lexus. Both with pros and cons
For your enjoyment. Below is a 335i and a is 350, both cars have every single option checked. I know that bmw offers options that lexus doesn't, and vice versa, but the point is to compare both cars in their most expensive state. This is fact vs. fiction.

2008 Lexus IS 350 Base w/Nav/Mark Levinson 4dr Rear-wheel Drive Sedan
Save Now!

$52,411MSRP Price:
$45,309Invoice Price:
$52,411Sales Price:$0Manufacturer Rebates: Target Price: $52,411
Pricing as of 10/03/08 in zip code 11413

2008 BMW 335 i w/Automatic Transmission 4dr Rear-wheel Drive Sedan
Save Now!

$55,670MSRP Price:
$51,465Invoice Price:
$52,005Sales Price:$0Manufacturer Rebates: Target Price: $52,005
Pricing as of 10/03/08 in zip code 11413
Old 10-03-08, 03:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^ thing is i never said the 350 was a bargain either. The es350 was the car that came to mind, as well as the ls460, and in certain categories, the gs as well
Old 10-03-08, 03:32 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Hmmm, a BMW for an average guy. No, that might be a Chevy you are thinking about.....

They are not $50K nice to you. But there are people out there who enjoy driving and for those people it just might be the perfect car.
Old 10-03-08, 03:34 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

^^ thing is i never said the 350 was a bargain either. The es350 was the car that came to mind, as well as the ls460, and in certain categories, the gs as well
The fact that the es steers and drives with the same 2 wheels, doesn't make it competition for any bmw. The es should be compared to cars like the camry, accord, TL, maxima, and other japanese econo-boxes.
Old 10-03-08, 03:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

or people who don't drive it like they stole it. You obviously don't realize that not everyone drives like you, and econobox? i think it is far from it, and doug_999, remember when the 3 series FIRST came out, yes it was meant for the average guy. Also, how many people do you know have a FULLY loaded 335 or is350? Not many cause most would opt for a standard 5 series or gs, which can be said about a lot of companies
Old 10-03-08, 03:55 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/26/b...ease-official/

the price increase is just 2.1% It's really not that bad except BMW's were pretty pricey to begin with.
Old 10-03-08, 04:29 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

or people who don't drive it like they stole it. You obviously don't realize that not everyone drives like you, and econobox? i think it is far from it, and doug_999, remember when the 3 series FIRST came out, yes it was meant for the average guy. Also, how many people do you know have a FULLY loaded 335 or is350? Not many cause most would opt for a standard 5 series or gs, which can be said about a lot of companies
I have a camry, which I drive more than my bmw. Read the signature!
Old 10-03-08, 04:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

why? if you like your bmw so much, drive that. If anything the es drives better then the camry therefore you are just degrading your own car. I am not saying bmw is bad, just overpriced and at times, over rated just as lexus, mercedes, audi or lexus. And i am no lexus fanboy who is just sticking up for the brand, i am more of a porsche guy myself
Old 10-03-08, 04:38 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
The fact that the es steers and drives with the same 2 wheels, doesn't make it competition for any bmw. The es should be compared to cars like the camry, accord, TL, maxima, and other japanese econo-boxes.
Econo-boxes? You are calling TL and Maxima econo-boxes? If not being front wheel drive, these two cars are considered competitors of 3-series. Stop your german car arrogance please. BMW vehicles are overpriced in the eyes of the people don't care about handling and steering feel, but very well-priced for those who enjoy these pretend-to-be sporty feeling. Also, ES, Camry, and Accord are very very well designed and built vehicles, not even a bit worse than your beloved BMW 3-series.
Old 10-03-08, 04:44 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I have a camry, which I drive more than my bmw. Read the signature!
You are making it so personal. I do see that you own a Camry, but a 2008 BMW X6 would definitely steer your opinions towards the brand of the newest vehicle you own. If you are currently owning a 2008 Lexus anything I wonder if you would still state the same comments.
Old 10-03-08, 04:45 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

but the point is to compare both cars in their most expensive state. This is fact vs. fiction.
that's like saying the GTR costs as much as the 911 Turbo because you can add $50k worth of Nismo accessories.

A fair comparison on the other hand shows the 335i is nearly $10,000 more expensive.

335i sticker $40,925
+ active steering $1400
+ automatic tranny $1325
+ leather, lumbar, electrochromatic mirrors $2650
+ leather steering wheel & paddles shifters $100
+ keyless start $500
+ heated seats $500
+ navi $2100
+ ipod adapter $400 (standard w/navi)
+ HD radio $350 (standard w/navi)
+ Logic7 audio $875
+ rear sunshade $575
+ illuminated door sills $780
+ metallic paint $550

$54,525. I could lose the active steering, illuminated door sills, and rear sunshade saving $2755, that brings the cost down to $51,770. That's still $7000 more.

Lexus doesn't price the ipod adapter and HD radio on their site since they are dealer installed accessories. But the exact same IS350 goes for $44,630.00 Lexus also includes a backup camera w/their navigation system.

And I have no idea how you got the IS350 over $50k since the only other options besides the sports package, wheels and a bunch of overpriced ricer accessories is the PCS which is $2850.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 10-03-08 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-03-08, 04:57 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Hmmm, a BMW for an average guy. No, that might be a Chevy you are thinking about.....

They are not $50K nice to you. But there are people out there who enjoy driving and for those people it just might be the perfect car.
It might be $80k nice to those people. What the hell does it mean? It is difficult to judge if a product is worth a certain amount of money if you put preference into the equation. A license plate with "You ain't nothing" might mean a lot to this person and he would pay $50k to get it, but it is simply a piece of junk to other people's eyes. Therefore, the only way to tell if this product is overpriced or not is to compare with the same kind of product from the other brands. In this case, 3-series should be compared to IS or G or C-class. People are criticizing BMW vehicles' 09 prices when compared to Lexus vehicles' of the same classes when similarly equipped.
Old 10-03-08, 05:03 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
You are making it so personal. I do see that you own a Camry, but a 2008 BMW X6 would definitely steer your opinions towards the brand of the newest vehicle you own. If you are currently owning a 2008 Lexus anything I wonder if you would still state the same comments.
I've driven every current lexus model except the is-f. i also drive my sisters 07 camry on a regular basis. I am not loyal to any brand, i just buy the best.

-King Bimmer
Old 10-03-08, 05:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

And i am no lexus fanboy who is just sticking up for the brand, i am more of a porsche guy myself
Your signature betrays you Luke.....

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
It might be $80k nice to those people. What the hell does it mean? It is difficult to judge if a product is worth a certain amount of money if you put preference into the equation. A license plate with "You ain't nothing" might mean a lot to this person and he would pay $50k to get it, but it is simply a piece of junk to other people's eyes. Therefore, the only way to tell if this product is overpriced or not is to compare with the same kind of product from the other brands. In this case, 3-series should be compared to IS or G or C-class. People are criticizing BMW vehicles' 09 prices when compared to Lexus vehicles' of the same classes when similarly equipped.
I honestly am not sure what point you are trying to make. BUT, you did say in a post that the Maxima is a competitor to the 3-series which I find sort of funny...

Quick Reply: BMW prices were already too high and it looks like they raised them some more this MY