Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW prices were already too high and it looks like they raised them some more this MY

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 10:50 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMW prices were already too high and it looks like they raised them some more this MY

I just priced out a 2009 335i sedan identically equipped to the one I have right now. The sticker on mine was on the low side of $47k... and now it's pricing out at over 3 grand more!!

The base price only went up a few hundred dollars but apparently it no longer includes the 13 speaker HK logic7 sound system that was standard before... it's now $875 extra. Also park distance control I'm pretty sure used to be standard as part of the premium package and is now an extra 700 bucks and I don't think the premium package price went down.

The only thing this car has that mine doesn't that I can tell is a heated steering wheel (not available when I got mine) and the cosmetic changes for 2009.

Base MSRP $40,100
Monaco Blue Metallic $550
Gray Dakota Leather $0
Aluminium Trim $0
Cold Weather Package $1,150
Premium Package $2,650
Sport Package $2,150
• Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
$100
STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $1,325
Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing $875
Park Distance Control $700
Destination & Handling: $825
Total MSRP as Built $50,425

I've got a brand new (400 miles on the odo) 2008 328i loaner car from the dealer and I was looking over the options list on it. This car stickered at 41k and still had a manual driver's seat, and had the nerve to charge $4-500 for a USB connection for people's ipod when even the Honda Civic is including it at no charge on the EX models.

BMW has absolutely lost their minds with what they're charging. Granted their excellent lease rates make their cars more reasonably priced again, but that's only if you're leasing...

I went ahead and checked all of the other options on the car that aren't on mine including side/rear window shades, nav, comfort access, active cruise control, active steering, HD radio, sat radio, and the ipod adapter. $58,395

RIDICULOUS!

Not to say that there aren't some other car companies that have also gotten carried away with their lack of standard equipment and charges for optional equipment, but BMW takes the cake among the major brands, anyway.

Last edited by Threxx; 10-01-08 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 10:53 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but consider this.. they get away with it, the 3 sells like hot cakes =p.. don't think the increase in price would have much effect on the sales.. bmw customers are pretty loyal
Old 10-01-08, 10:56 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by farquad
but consider this.. they get away with it, the 3 sells like hot cakes =p.. don't think the increase in price would have much effect on the sales.. bmw customers are pretty loyal
It leases like hot cakes... they don't sell that many, and in this economy with those price increases I can't help but believe they may see some reductions in sales this year.
Old 10-01-08, 11:20 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

good point =p
only time will tell, but yeah you're right it's brutal what they're charging
Old 10-01-08, 11:22 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

Aren't they cutting back on the lease deals too?
Old 10-01-08, 11:33 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

everything in this world is increasing in price. If you don't find value in something, then don't buy it. it seems people don't want bmw to make money on the cars it sells, but if they pull out of th US completely, then the uproar begins. they are just sharing their loss of margin with buyers.

King Bimmer!
Old 10-01-08, 11:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

Very hard to make money in the US market with the weak USD, I think they are still LESS expensive than in Germany/Europe/rest of the world ...
Old 10-01-08, 11:55 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Very hard to make money in the US market with the weak USD, I think they are still LESS expensive than in Germany/Europe/rest of the world ...
That is a good point.

All the more reason for me to buy American next go-round, I suppose.
Old 10-01-08, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

In some ways I don't want the U.S. dollar to be stronger, and with all this bailout stuff, it's unlikely (despite recent gains). I want U.S. products to have an edge.
Old 10-01-08, 12:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

And they are too expensive to maintain. My dad has already said that he will be turning in his first BMW and getting his first Lexus.
Old 10-01-08, 01:21 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And they are too expensive to maintain. My dad has already said that he will be turning in his first BMW and getting his first Lexus.
Lexus vehicles cost more to maintain than BMW when comparing standard maintenance costs to standard maintenance costs, even after the free 50k mile maintenance period from BMW.

Now when you get into cost of repairs it's potentially a whole different story depending on how lucky or unlucky you get with the car.

My GS400 really wasn't that reliable either, actually.
Old 10-01-08, 01:26 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
That is a good point.

All the more reason for me to buy American next go-round, I suppose.
Pontiac G8 GXP? I promised myself an M car the next go around along with another X Bimmer.. I will only live once on this planet
Old 10-01-08, 01:29 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Pontiac G8 GXP? I promised myself an M car the next go around along with another X Bimmer.. I will only live once on this planet
Definitely a nice choice though I'm hesitant to buy something so gas unfriendly. I mean I know it actually gets killer mileage for a ~400hp car but still I was hoping to get something capable of 35+ highway.
Old 10-01-08, 01:44 PM
mreh
Driver School Candidate

not just bmw, everything is getting more expensive.. look at the prices on the newer audis and its the same deal
Old 10-01-08, 03:53 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Isnt it because of the weaker euro? I hear they've been losing ground lately.

Quick Reply: BMW prices were already too high and it looks like they raised them some more this MY