Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official IS250-C pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 01:50 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, is that pic of the 250C in blue photoshopped? Because it looks 100x better than the red.
Have you guys seen the G37 conv.? They look pretty similar if you compare them side by side.
Old 10-02-08, 02:22 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's that SUV in the background? Does anyone know?

Old 10-02-08, 02:26 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by BrickHead
What's that SUV in the background? Does anyone know?
LF-Xh concept I believe.
Old 10-02-08, 02:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Haven't we seen this already?

Old 10-02-08, 03:13 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have gone through more of these pictures today and while I stand by my last post about it being a disappointment that it took them this long to come out with what is really "just another convertible"...I think we really should wait to see it in person.

I'm not trying to make excuses as I have already given my honest opinion on these pictures but one thing has certainly been noticeable in pictures and that we have all commented on is the slab sided, flat sides of the car. I am not so sure that this is actually the case because when you really look at some of the pictures, it seems to have a bit of a flare in the shoulders/beltline of the car.

Look at the picture that Brickhead posted...

Look at the rear end closely. It looks a lot curvier and more shapely that it has in the rest of the pictures.

Additionally, I posted two pics on page 2 but I want to repost them again.

I think that there is a lot more going on with this car than this color or pictures can show. Furthermore I don't think that many of the L-Finessed designs really look good in pictures at first- I remember the uproar over the 3GS in pictures. Now it's considered the original 4 door coupe and one of the better looking sedans in it's segment . I also recall mixed emotions over the IS. In both cases after seeing them in person and being able to appreciate the lines and shapes in the metal as opposed to pictures, people really liked them.

Again, not trying to make excuses but when you look at most of the pictures the car looks very flat and slab sided. The few that I have pointed out show a more shapely character line with a lot more depth than we were originally thinking that it had. I think it might end up looking a lot better in person.

Last point...this tail end might be the sexiest I have seen in the last five years.
Attached Thumbnails Official IS250-C pics-isrear.jpg  
Old 10-02-08, 03:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

This picture also shows more character and depth than the others do.
Attached Thumbnails Official IS250-C pics-ics.jpg  
Old 10-02-08, 03:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good observations.

It takes a lot of effort to analyze and differentiate the minute details.

Most people just post one-liner options, which doesn't really help.
Old 10-02-08, 03:27 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

Unlike everybody else I actually LOVE this IS250C, I'd love to get my hands on one! Yes the rear is a little odd, but overall very sexy and I love the color combo. Gimme Gimme! But there def should be a traditional coupe also, which would take away all the extra stuff of the convertible. The Gen 2 IS coupe will be much sexier though since they'll be working with a fresh car.
Old 10-02-08, 03:40 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think it's 17" wheels for Europe...
I think these are 18"s on the car, at least from what I see in this picture.

Old 10-02-08, 03:55 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I love it and it's going to be my next car!!!!!!
Old 10-02-08, 04:03 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks gross..
Old 10-02-08, 04:12 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

well everyone said the 1 series was ugly and they still selling
Old 10-02-08, 05:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have gone through more of these pictures today and while I stand by my last post about it being a disappointment that it took them this long to come out with what is really "just another convertible"...I think we really should wait to see it in person.

I'm not trying to make excuses as I have already given my honest opinion on these pictures but one thing has certainly been noticeable in pictures and that we have all commented on is the slab sided, flat sides of the car. I am not so sure that this is actually the case because when you really look at some of the pictures, it seems to have a bit of a flare in the shoulders/beltline of the car.

Look at the rear end closely. It looks a lot curvier and more shapely that it has in the rest of the pictures.

Additionally, I posted two pics on page 2 but I want to repost them again.

I think that there is a lot more going on with this car than this color or pictures can show. Furthermore I don't think that many of the L-Finessed designs really look good in pictures at first- I remember the uproar over the 3GS in pictures. Now it's considered the original 4 door coupe and one of the better looking sedans in it's segment . I also recall mixed emotions over the IS. In both cases after seeing them in person and being able to appreciate the lines and shapes in the metal as opposed to pictures, people really liked them.

Again, not trying to make excuses but when you look at most of the pictures the car looks very flat and slab sided. The few that I have pointed out show a more shapely character line with a lot more depth than we were originally thinking that it had. I think it might end up looking a lot better in person.

Last point...this tail end might be the sexiest I have seen in the last five years.
Ultimately, like all L-Finesse cars, the IS250C does need to be seen in person to fully judge the car. The tail lights look good at night, but the problem is they are too similar to BMW lights at night. Where exactly is the L-Finesse styling in the lamps? Why did they just make it straight lamps, and not L-shaped lamps similar to the LS? And during the day, those tail lights are just too generic and devoid of character to get excited about. It's also dissapointing that the tail lights are reminiscent of the Sebring.

I still fully stand by my comments that Lexus REALLY messed up with this rim/tire/exterior color combination. That red exterior really hides a lot of the character lines on the car, and it makes it look like one big bloated mess. Proof of that is the photoshops circling around of the car in black or blue, and it looks much better. Also the photoshops with bigger rims/tires make it look a lot better.

I also agree with the comments from others that the front end is too chiseled compared to the rear. The front chiseled styling makes sense since the IS250/IS350 share that styling. The rear styling should have been more chiseled and sharp, and that starts with different tail lights. The tail lights make the rear end seem more round, curvy, and bloated than it needs to be.

The only reasoning I can even think of that Lexus had was to appeal to female buyers, and even if that is the case it's still dissapointing and poorly done. First off, Lexus should have no reason to attract more female buyers to the IS since there are already plenty of female IS customers. Secondly, if that was the case Lexus could have, and definitely should have made the exterior of the IS250C more cohesive, whether Lexus was targeting female or male buyers. Finally, Lexus could have, and definitely should have tailored the convertible slightly towards female buyers, while also bringing an IS coupe and aggressively tailoring that to male buyers.

No matter how you look at it, Lexus seriously dissapointed. A car that looks merely average, offers nothing new, class-leading, or innovative, took too long to bring to market, and has disjointed styling that lacks cohesiveness.

While some people don't like the IS sedan refresh for '09, the fact is that at least it is cohesive. The front end fits together style-wise very well with the rear end. Not so with the IS250C.
Old 10-02-08, 05:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Haven't we seen this already?

Interesting bit. So this is how you give a RWD car FWD proportions.

Crazy how everyone is comparing the IS to the G6 convertible, EOS, Solara, Volvo C70 which are all FWD cars when its suppose to directly compete with the G, 3 and indirectly the CTS coupe, A5/4 Convertible and others.

Its pretty upsetting that I was expecting this car to SUCK since the first time we heard about it and Lexus sure didnt disappoint.
Old 10-02-08, 05:48 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

It's not the color of the car that is hiding the lines, it's all the light shining on the car that makes it hard to see the lines. I still stand by this car and def want one =) Guess different strokes for different folks. Now to be honest, were any of you guys really going to like this car? You guys are VERY hard to please, must suck being Lexus.

Quick Reply: Official IS250-C pics