Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official IS250-C pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 03:14 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knihc2008
We waited three years for this?

lol

They turned the sharp, sleek IS design into THAT, wow those Lexus designers are really talented.

My thoughts exactly. this crap could have been done long long long ago.

Ted
Old 10-03-08, 04:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
That's actually want I wanted to Special Order: SGM or Truffle Mica with alabaster interior...
Old 10-03-08, 05:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's actually want I wanted to Special Order: SGM or Truffle Mica with alabaster interior...
That's a black car I think, but I do think the car should look the best in either black, SGM or Truffle, the dark colors ...
Old 10-03-08, 06:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ted920
My thoughts exactly. this crap could have been done long long long ago.

Ted
The worst part is the car won't sell as much as anticipated and Lexus will think it's a mistake to have made the coupe. They won't blame themselves for making this ugly duckling.

On the other hand, they may be reading these threads and this really isn't the car they are bringing to market. Look at how long the G37 concept was around. Infiniti swore the care on dis[lay was the exact car the showrooms would get. It is pretty close but changes were made to the front facia. Hopefully, the IS coupe will look better.

Lexus, are you reading this!!!
Old 10-03-08, 08:14 PM
LexFather

Well from my sources, it seems what happened with the 1SC happened here, except we got a production car.

Lexus BADLY wanted a convertible SC 300/400 but the cowl shake was solved, so they abandoned the project. They were happy with the design but they had issues with the top b/c the gas tank was where the top would drop.

It seems this car went through TONS of designs. The problem with this car is the IS sedan like many new cars has tall doors and small windows. The rear of the roof curves inward, which makes is very stylish but it helps make the rear very small.

With the 2 door they were screwed b/c the rear doors are longer, it makes a smaller rear smaller and its coupled with high door lines that go from 4 doors to 2.

As you can see the rear straight on is damn near from a different car, they had no issues with the rear.

Another design issue is Lexus using a Clamshell design for the roof, so it can close very quickly, instead of the design with the SC.

I speculate people that worked on all Toyota/Lexus convertibles worked on this too.

Bottom line, its a damn mess.

Old 10-03-08, 08:18 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I am kind of amused by the unbelievable levels of hate for a design that
I don't think is all that bad.

What Lexus should've done is just chop 2 doors off the IS sedan, round out
the door and voila, they would have a winner...
Old 10-03-08, 11:00 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not all that bad, especially in the black image. It was just people were expecting way more due to the hype/wait. If this came just out of nowhere I would say this is a healthy if not tremendously impressive addition to their lineup.
Old 10-03-08, 11:16 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the video sold me on the looks...i think it's descent. definitely enough to sell...
Old 10-04-08, 12:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look closely roof mechanism is a masterpiece, definitely that is where engineers and designers spent the most time on. Two other things I love are the taillight illumination (check out Lexus Europe video for that) and whole rear deck and its curves, shame its too long because they wanted more space in a trunk.

This is nothing more than Lexus wanting to fast cash in on hot selling IS series. I doubt this car was more than a year in development really. Front is the weakest part of the cars since its the carry over from sedan and it gives a feeling that this car was mix matched. Probably one more clue that this cars wasn't in development for a long time. Roof line is not even reminiscent to coupeish roof line, rear gets thicker and taller which makes 18" wheels look too small and rear overhang is just like icing on cake. Reminds me of FWD cars with big overhangs but reversed.
Old 10-04-08, 01:56 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Roof line is not even reminiscent to coupeish roof line, rear gets thicker and taller which makes 18" wheels look too small and rear overhang is just like icing on cake. Reminds me of FWD cars with big overhangs but reversed.

with today's cars having sloped up waist lines, most cars will have small looking rear wheels.
Old 10-04-08, 02:13 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

So far there is only one car that made it right with combo of Coupe/Hardtop Convert in recent history and its a 4 seater

BMW is close second

Old 10-04-08, 02:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

This is probably the best example of 4 seater hardtop convertibles that are becoming so popular overseas besides Volvo

Old 10-04-08, 02:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Lexus is very close to Ford in profile

Last edited by Vladi; 10-04-08 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-04-08, 10:34 AM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmo83
looks okay with the top down. but i agree it looks horrid with the top up. i seriously can't lexus selling a lot of these. I think they should just make a IS coupe, sorta bringing the appeal of the SC300 back , esp since toyota is probably going to kill off the SC in 2010

i might have missed it reading through this, but any word on a price?
Lexus isn't gonna kill off the SC. Lexus can still have a V8 coupe/convertible...think SC 460...
Old 10-04-08, 04:04 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fugly IMO. Looks like the designers got lazy and threw the IS front on an SC and called it a day. It actually makes the 2SC look good.

Quick Reply: Official IS250-C pics