Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Red Light Camera!! what you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 05:20 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I administrate my jurisdiction's red light camera installation, courtesy to our Police Department. Many jurisdictions in CA use Redflex system.

There are two camera/video poles per direction (phase). The front one captures your front license plate and your lovely face. The rear camera/video recorder will get the rear license plate and video stream showing the actual red light running motion.

Based on your description, you more than likely will not be mailed for a red light running ticket, although each jurisdiction PD and court reviews and judges cases differently. PD typically reviews each case before mailing out the ticket. If you do get a ticket, your best argument (in the court) is you did not run through the red light, only entered the intersection when the light turned red.

The cost is also dependable on each jurisdiction. It varies from $300 to $400 plus.

As I always suggest to drivers, pay attention to the traffic signals. It's not whether you like the red light running camera or not, you are not going to change its existence. Instead, drive with caution when approach a signalized intersection, save yourself unnecessary troubles.

Originally Posted by radicalrev
So today I didn't know why I was stupid not to stop exactly before the white line on a traffic light.

I kinna stop about 2-3 feet after the line and the red light camera flashes lots of time.

However front bumper has no license plate but just the rear. So i was wondering if the the red light camera catches my rear license plate.

There was 2 camera, 1 in front and 1 at the red light. I hope the red light camera captures whats in the middle of the street. yaikz...

Last Question is, since i didn't run a red light, will I still get charged for it since the Red light camera flashes? or failure to stop before the white line?

P.s - does any1 knows how much this ticket gonna cost? thanks!
Old 10-02-08, 05:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
texas DOT did a study where increasing the yellow light duration actually decreased accidents at the intersection more than red light cameras
hahhaaa, that'd be some data they want to hide coz' it hurts revenue
Old 10-02-08, 07:23 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it happened in CA, they take a picture of both front and rear plates, and get a picture of the driver's face as well, they even take the time to have a separate zoomed in picture too. You most likely will not get a ticket, as they probably did not even get a shot of your rear license plate, but it depends on what intersection you were at. Some place the camera wayyyyy in the rear so it gets a shot of the entire street, then zoom in accordingly.