Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson on Chrysler Sebring: "Almost certainly the worst car in the entire world"

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 12:38 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
...Chrysler Sebring convertible, which is almost certainly the worst car in the entire world.
Oh good...for a long time, they considered the Lexus SC430 the "worst car in the world".
Old 10-06-08, 01:40 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
A major reason I broke up with a girl about 8 years ago was because she kept on talking about how great her Sebring convertible was. She even went so far as to take a plane down to Florida (she was living in Virginia at the time) in order to pick one out that was immediately available, instead of waiting 2 weeks for the one she wanted to arrive at local dealer for a cheaper price.
The really sad part of your story is that I would consider that to be an appropriate response to the type of ignorance displayed by your ex. My current g/f is in love with her VW Bug, and I cannot fathom why. If a woman is willing to defend a truly lack luster car with such fervent passion, imagine how off they are when it comes to the really important stuff, like naming kids.
Old 10-06-08, 01:53 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yup. For all the cheap shots Clarkson likes to take at America, we always have that dreaded word: Lucas.

Old joke:
Why don't the British make TVs? They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil.
another lucas joke:
did you hear Lucas is now making vacuum cleaners?

It's the only thing they make that doesn't suck.
Old 10-06-08, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I won't comment on the G6's styling because that, of course, is subjective, but the G6's interior, trim, and hardware is as bad, if not worse, than the Sebring's. Not only does it look like the inside of a coal mine, but much of it feels like it is going to fall apart. This is been a problem with many recent American-designed Pontiacs; the only exceptions being the Australian-designed GTO and G8, and the Toyota-designed Vibe.
Really? I found it to be pretty decent, a clear step over the Grand Am? Another g/f of mine has one, a coupe, I thought it was a pretty decent ride, better than her one year older Grand Prix she traded it in for.

Old 10-06-08, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Really? I found it to be pretty decent, a clear step over the Grand Am? Another g/f of mine has one, a coupe, I thought it was a pretty decent ride, better than her one year older Grand Prix she traded it in for.

Well, a decent ride it may be, but I found the G6's interior cheap by modern standards...and its all-black monotone color is like being in a coal mine.

I do agree with you that some of the dash ***** and gauges, with the chrome rings and reasonably smooth motion, like in other new GM cars, are a nice touch.......yes, much better the the old Grand-Am. But you and I (I think) can agree that the interior materials in older Grand-Am were a joke. The G6's interior, as you note, is one step above that, but, IMO, still too plain and monotone-black.

I'm not just picking on the G6 either.....I also thought the new G8's interior was far too all-black, though it is a nice car overall (I could even see a small possibility of me owning one).

The G6 does have one outstanding feature, though.....a folding hard-top (a very desirable feature) for a relatively low price. The VW Eos, for example, also offers one, but has a higher price even though it is a smaller car.
Old 10-06-08, 08:51 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I rented a G6 GT for a trip out to Arazona and I agree, I found the interior to be pretty decent for an American car in it's class. Had decent enough power too.
Old 10-06-08, 09:18 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

well.....right on the money....then they wonder why they are failing and loosing money!! cheaply made cars deserve such remarks!!
Old 10-06-08, 10:08 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But to call the Sebring convertible the "Worst Car in the World" is overdoing it a little. Yes, it is somewhat cheaply made, has an outdated/unrefined powertrain, and a relatively poor-quality interior. But, with the top down, it also has a lot more room in the back seat for two adults than the average two-door convertible (one reason for its continuing popularity), a lower price than most other convertibles its size (another reason), has relatively good resale value because of its popularity. For a reasonably big fun-in-the-sun car at a good price, it has a lot of appeal....and the sales figures show it.
aren't the current Sebring based off the 3G Eclipse? If so, it's in desperate need of a full model change.

and sales figure....yeah, to the car rental places?

$29k are you kidding me?? ...i'd MUCH RATHER have a Volvo C30 R-Design.
Old 10-06-08, 10:26 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
and this is why we are not patriotic enough.

...cuz there's nothing to be patriotic about.

Japanese for life.

fat lazy americans build fat lazy cars.

Well at least we all know what Stuttgart/Munich/Wolfsburg has in terms of world class automotive engineers. Japan builds great reliable cars, but those Germans still have the driving game down pat.

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
The really sad part of your story is that I would consider that to be an appropriate response to the type of ignorance displayed by your ex. My current g/f is in love with her VW Bug, and I cannot fathom why. If a woman is willing to defend a truly lack luster car with such fervent passion, imagine how off they are when it comes to the really important stuff, like naming kids.

Well you have to consider the girly as sin bug has a very high quality interior (and exterior), especially comparing it to other cars that are being discussed here (G6/Sebring). Clarkson is right about the Eos being leaps and bounds better built than the Sebring, but then again it's costly and doesn't have a big rear seat area. Most "Americans" that are after this kind of car won't harp on the Sebring becuase it doesn't have Bi-Xenon adaptive projectors, rain sensing wipers, or a world class turbo charged engine. Those are fussy features for people into paying for a European car. Yes, superior built, but much more costly and expensive to repair. Lots of Sebring buyers will say give me the Domestic car! Damn with Euro driving dynamics and fit/finish! Obviously Clarkson doesn't understand how expensive a fully optioned Eos w/ the 3.2VR6 and Dual-Clutch wet plate DSG transmission really is...

Last edited by FKL; 10-06-08 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 11:42 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

You’d have to be so window-lickingly insane that you’d be banned from handling anything other than crayons.
love

it

!!!
Old 10-07-08, 05:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
aren't the current Sebring based off the 3G Eclipse? If so, it's in desperate need of a full model change.
Several Dodge/Chrysler sedans and coupes are based on Mitsubishi platforms...not necessarily that of the Eclipse. The Sebring is substantially larger than the Eclipse....I believe it uses the Galant platform. That will probably change in the future, as Chrysler and Mitsubishi, now outside of Mercedes ownership, are no longer designing vehicles in tandem as before.

and sales figure....yeah, to the car rental places?
Yes and no. The Sebring convertible is popular both in and out of the Hertz/Avis shops. Its fairly-large-and-roomy-convertible-for-a-low-price status does bring in customers.

$29k are you kidding me?? ...i'd MUCH RATHER have a Volvo C30 R-Design.
First the C30 is substantialy smaller than the Sebring. Second, 29K for a mid-sized convertible is a good price. The VW Eos, for example, can run a lot more than that. Among U.S. market convertibles, only the entry-level Miata (and possibly lower-trim Mustang convertibles) are cheaper......and the Miata, of course, is much smaller, a 2-seater, and, admittedly, a classic drivers' car.
Old 10-07-08, 07:59 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I love Clarkson but he's such a snob and really can't be taken too seriously when he criticizes all American cars in simplistic jokes while being BRITISH.

That's a crock. Clarkson himself is mired in the 'great British' past.

Of course 2000 years ago Brits were just hitting each other over the head with clubs but native Americans were likely more organized and civilized.

One of the last times I was in Britain I rented a Ford Mondeo coupe. Nice car it 'seemed'. But soon I realized is had ZERO sound proofing. Driving at 70 on the 'motorway' meant you needed ear plugs.

The supposedly 'hot' engine, that I think was about 1.3 liters, had the get up and go of a sloth.

It had AC, relatively new on mainstream cars in Britain, so it sounded like a Harrier jump jet when I turned it on (LOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUD).

The paint job looked like it would run off after a few British rain showers.

I would agree a Sebring is not the pinnacle of automotive engineering, but Clarkson's condescencion to write off all things 'American automotive' with one car shows his narrow-minded snobbishness.

LOL Bit, I would take it with a pinch of salt and for the light hearted article it is.

As Ford have never made a Coupe here for over 20 years (saving for the tiny Puma), let alone a Mondeo Coupe, I can only assume what you rented was the American built and imported Cougar or Probe.

Clarkson does hark back to the Great British Past - the past that built Stonehenge 5000 years ago, invented the steam engine, the electric light bulb, the computer, the World Wide Web among other things - after all without those last two you wouldn't be able to read over there, what he wrote, over here..