Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is there a future for the Sequoia?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 07:27 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey Paul, Toyota said they are coming (all vehicles by 2020 I think) but I am making the assumption that they DON'T want to do it b/c hybrid tech= costly and it turns a cash cow into a less attractive car to sell from a business case.

They also just built that plant in TX and I don't think its equipped for Hybrids. I believe all hybrids are made in Japan.
They are going to build the Prius in America, in Mississippi. I think the problem right now that they face is that, well:

1. The next gen. hybrid synergy drive is debuting in the next Prius, so why not wait to introduce new hybrid until this technology is ready.

2. They haven't been able to produce enough batteries, thus they are building another battery plant. I think this is also why there is a Camry hybrid, but no ES hybrid.

3. The expensive Tahoe hybrid isn't all that successful. So why not focus on cheaper, more efficient vehicles that people will spend a $3k premium for vs. $5k, $10k?

4. Honda is making their hybrids cheaper.
Old 10-07-08, 01:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
We have two Toyota FJ's sitting on the lot here in Canada offering $11,000 off the sticker price. We also have three Toyota Sequoia's that have not moved off the lots since they were introduced back in February. These Sequoia's are brand new models in their first model years. I can't imagine how hard they will be able to sell in two to three years from now.

Is there a future for the Sequioa?
Will it get a redesign?
Will Toyota just cancel it?

I know the Toyota is trying to sell off the 2008 models but the 2009 Lexus LX570 is now on lots. They are moving and usually sell for about $30k more than the Sequoia. They can move pretty much the same amount of people, cargo, and trailers as the Sequioa.

I think Toyota's SUV line up will eventually shrink to Rav, Highlander, 4runner, Land Cruiser and will likely cancel the Sequioa. Toyota originally forcasted sales of 60k units but will likely sell about 30k

I wonder what others on the board think.
Sequoia, is that the only Toyota SUV raising in sales every month? Yes it is...
Old 10-07-08, 11:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey Paul, Toyota said they are coming (all vehicles by 2020 I think) but I am making the assumption that they DON'T want to do it b/c hybrid tech= costly and it turns a cash cow into a less attractive car to sell from a business case.

They also just built that plant in TX and I don't think its equipped for Hybrids. I believe all hybrids are made in Japan.
my logic is, toyota (and me also) doesn't think the hybrid technology is fully matured enough yet, in terms of efficiency, battery size, fuel economy. they want to continue develop more to a certain standard before adapting it to every model (or most models).

that's probably why we only see prius, camry, and highlander now.
Old 10-08-08, 12:29 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
a. Sequoia
b. Armada
c. Ridgeline
d. Expedition
e. Navigator
f. Escalade
g. Suburban
h. All of the Above
Why would you put the Ridgeline in there?

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sequoia, is that the only Toyota SUV raising in sales every month? Yes it is...
While true, it is a brand new design and has massive incentives on it...