Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X7 canceled

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 06:57 PM
LexFather

Post BMW X7 canceled

http://www.motorauthority.com/bmw-ca...crossover.html

New X1 is expected to arrive in North America by early 2011

It was reported in August that BMW had canceled plans for a new full-size SUV positioned above the current X5 and X6 to take on rivals like the Range Rover and Mercedes Benz GL. The carmaker’s CEO Norbert Reithofer has now confirmed that development of the luxury SUV, which was to be called the X7, has been discontinued in favor of a range of compact crossover vehicles as well as the introduction of more efficient diesel models in North America.

The new crossover lineup will include production versions of the Mini Crossover and BMW Concept X1 show cars, which made their debut at last week’s Paris Motor Show, while the new diesel models will be added to the X5 and 3-series lineups.

The new Mini crossover is expected to be called the ‘Crossman’ and go on sale in 2010. The X1, meanwhile, will arrive in 2011 and will be marketed as a high-volume model, Reithofer explained to Automotive News.

Before the arrival of the new crossovers, BMW will launch versions of the 2009 3-series sedan and X5 SUV with a twin-turbo 3.0L straight-six diesel engine. In North America the diesel engine will be rated at 265hp (198kW) and peak torque of 425lb-ft (575Nm), and is expected to account for about 15% of sales in the coming years, according to Reithofer.

The decision to the ditch the X7 was made as a direct response to declining profits, falling demand (especially in the U.S.) and tough new emissions and fuel-economy standards being rolled out on both sides of the Atlantic.

During the interview, Reithofer also mentioned future vehicles still under discussions such as the Project i “mega city car” as well as a possible X4 based on the next-generation X3. However, he said neither vehicle had been approved for production.

Old 10-06-08, 07:11 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't realize there was any talk about an X7.
Dear BMW,
What happened to making driver's cars not trendy-crossover-sporty-utility-vehicles with emphasis on sport but not really?

I understand that BMW wants to make lots of money and lots of stupid people with money to flaunt buy a BMW SUV just because but seriously some of these vehicles make no sense to me.
Old 10-06-08, 07:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I remember their being X7 rumors since I was in middle school so that would have been...ohhh...almost 10 years ago.
Old 10-06-08, 09:54 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Didn't realize there was any talk about an X7.
Dear BMW,
What happened to making driver's cars not trendy-crossover-sporty-utility-vehicles with emphasis on sport but not really?

I understand that BMW wants to make lots of money and lots of stupid people with money to flaunt buy a BMW SUV just because but seriously some of these vehicles make no sense to me.
Which BMW SAC, or SAV have you driven, because BMW doesn't make a SUV?

It's funny when people that never designed a car in their life want to play car designer. Let the people that know the car business do their job. Just like no shoe fits everyone, the same goes for cars. Every single BMW model feels like a BMW when you are behind the wheel, and I know this from experience.

-King Bimmer
Old 10-06-08, 11:31 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

so ... the x5 is already getting up there in size ... the x7 would have been massive! ... like a suburban or something
Old 10-07-08, 03:13 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGLEX

It's funny when people that never designed a car in their life want to play car designer. Let the people that know the car business do their job. Just like no shoe fits everyone, the same goes for cars. Every single BMW model feels like a BMW when you are behind the wheel, and I know this from experience.

-King Bimmer
King.. Don't take the internet bait
Old 10-07-08, 04:37 AM
Koma

-King Bimmer
I'm entitled to my opinion.
SAC, SAV are just stupid marketing terms.
Why is it everytime I make a comment about BMW SUVs I get flamed by somebody? So because I'm a consumer and think certain vehicles make no sense for me to buy I get flamed? So you're telling me if I said the Aztek is a worthless vehicle that is ugly you would call me out about not having ever designed a vehicle and not driven it? I don't care how it drives it looks that ugly. I'm not going to EVER buy an ugly vehicle (subjective). I mean some cars which aren't exactly the greatest looking cars can get a pass because they have ridiculous other merits (personally i think the CCX series are kinda awkward).
I'm not starting a flame war. I just think that BMW is focused on the market of SUVs right now and their sedans have been a disappointment as of lately. You're allowed to disagree but try not to call me out on never driven a vehicle that I find ugly and never designed a vehicle, I still know what I like and what I don't. I really do like the looks of the X5 but probably would still never buy an SUV whether it be BMW or Lexus or whatever. The X6 is what I find a pointless vehicle and chock full of BS marketing.
Old 10-07-08, 04:45 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Unless you work for BMW's marketing department (and perhaps even if you do), this is a ridiculous statement. Try not to buy into the marketing hype.

I fully believe the X3, X5 and X6 drive better than their other crossover SUV counterparts, but referring to them as "SACs" and "SAVs" is a little pretentious. And no, I haven't driven any of those vehicles, because I would never purchase an X3 over a 3-series wagon, or an X5 or X6 over a 5-Series wagon (if I needed the cargo space). Just like I don't need to drive a Jeep Compass to know I wouldn't want one. I completely fail to see the point of these cars
Old 10-07-08, 04:49 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Unless you work for BMW's marketing department (and perhaps even if you do), this is a ridiculous statement. Try not to buy into the marketing hype.

I fully believe the X3, X5 and X6 drive better than their other crossover SUV counterparts, but referring to them as "SACs" and "SAVs" is a little pretentious. And no, I haven't driven any of those vehicles, because I would never purchase an X3 over a 3-series wagon, or an X5 or X6 over a 5-Series wagon (if I needed the cargo space). Just like I don't need to drive a Jeep Compass to know I wouldn't want one. I completely fail to see the point of these cars
Can we be best friends?
Old 10-07-08, 06:49 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm entitled to my opinion.
SAC, SAV are just stupid marketing terms.
Why is it everytime I make a comment about BMW SUVs I get flamed by somebody? So because I'm a consumer and think certain vehicles make no sense for me to buy I get flamed? So you're telling me if I said the Aztek is a worthless vehicle that is ugly you would call me out about not having ever designed a vehicle and not driven it? I don't care how it drives it looks that ugly. I'm not going to EVER buy an ugly vehicle (subjective). I mean some cars which aren't exactly the greatest looking cars can get a pass because they have ridiculous other merits (personally i think the CCX series are kinda awkward).
I'm not starting a flame war. I just think that BMW is focused on the market of SUVs right now and their sedans have been a disappointment as of lately. You're allowed to disagree but try not to call me out on never driven a vehicle that I find ugly and never designed a vehicle, I still know what I like and what I don't. I really do like the looks of the X5 but probably would still never buy an SUV whether it be BMW or Lexus or whatever. The X6 is what I find a pointless vehicle and chock full of BS marketing.
I SAV and SAC are BS marketing terms, then why isn't SUV the same? The current e90 driving wise is head and shoulders above the e46. The current e60 is head and shoulder better than the e39, I bought the GS 400 instead. I love when internet people say th X6 is ugly, because I never have gotten so many compliments on any car that I have driven, and you can take a look at my sig. I have only driven it 400 miles since I got it early August, and more people stop me or smile at my car, than all of my other cars combined. There is a fifth gear clip on youtube where the host calls it ugly and pointless, and finally gets the whole concept after he turns on the ignition and steps on the gas. I hate SUV's and would never own one. Anybody that thinks the X6 is an SUV just doesn't get it, and I say this not from marketing, but actually owning one.

-King Bimmer
Old 10-07-08, 07:59 AM
LexFather

Can we talk about the X7 please?

Old 10-07-08, 09:16 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a bummer, I would have definitely bought the X7. Maybe in another 10 years when we have better energy solutions they will reconsider...
Old 10-07-08, 10:17 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Can we talk about the X7 please?
I see enough Mercedes GL on the road, we don't need more of these just because I have money I can drive excess, what happen to the days of owning cool, unique cars

Does anyone know what the Mercedes GL sales are, maybe BMW is seeing the numbers and does not like what they see.
Old 10-07-08, 10:20 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool, one fewer tank on the road!

Probably the smartest thing BMW hasn't done in years.
Old 10-07-08, 10:30 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

is it possible to get pics of this suv in question.. i love the x6, i can't find a pic of an x7 and if i try google they might be some crappy rendering.. thanks

Quick Reply: BMW X7 canceled