Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Ford Focus SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In your opinion, how does the new Focus compare to the Elantra which you recently reviewed?

The Elantra, especially in beige/wood, has a more plush-looking (but not necessarily better-quality) interior. Its exterior trim is substantially better. Its warranty is far better than the Ford's (but not transferable like Ford's). The doors close more precisely and solidly, and the fit/finish seems better overall. The outside mirrors are better-made than the Focus and (if I remember correctly)swivel fully...the Focus has rigid, cheaper ones with flimsier plastic.

The Focus has a slightly more peppy engine, nicer paint colors, plenty of headroom, a responsive transmission despite only 4 gears, a nice paint job (but otherwise so-so fit/finish), and dull-looking but durable interior materials. It also, of course, has a far more widespread dealer network for sales/service.

Both cars have rather slow steering response, a relatively smooth ride (the Elantra's is slightly smoother), so-so brakes, and good noise isolation for an economy car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-09-08, 12:09 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Would you rather have the Euro-Focus than the Mondeo? The Mondeo, from what I've heard, is about as good as Euro-Fords get.

If my prayers can bring both, let them bring both.

If not, the Focus is a better fit for the American market than the Mondeo.
Old 10-09-08, 12:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Elantra, especially in beige/wood, has a more plush-looking (but not necessarily better-quality) interior. Its exterior trim is substantially better. Its warranty is far better than the Ford's (but not transferable like Ford's). The doors close more precisely and solidly, and the fit/finish seems better overall. The outside mirrors are better-made than the Focus and (if I remember correctly)swivel fully...the Focus has rigid, cheaper ones with flimsier plastic.

The Focus has a slightly more peppy engine, nicer paint colors, plenty of headroom, a responsive transmission despite only 4 gears, a nice paint job (but otherwise so-so fit/finish), and dull-looking but durable interior materials. It also, of course, has a far more widespread dealer network for sales/service.

Both cars have rather slow steering response, a relatively smooth ride (the Elantra's is slightly smoother), so-so brakes, and good noise isolation for an economy car.
Thanks for the information...
Old 10-09-08, 02:17 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
If my prayers can bring both, let them bring both.

If not, the Focus is a better fit for the American market than the Mondeo.
People need to keep in mind the vastly different taste in the Euro and American marketplace. Yes the Euro Focus is superior in so many ways but Americans view small cars as econoboxes in general. Americans aren't likely to spend the amount Eurpoeans do on small cars.

The Euro Accord aka TSX isn't exactly a big seller in the states. I don't know exactly the dimensions of the Mondeo vs Fusion and Mondeo vs TSX, but Ford tried the Euro sized sedan in the form of the Contour and that wasn't exactly a success.