Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Mazda3 unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 10:51 AM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found my next car iono bout you guys but i love the design its unique and better looking than most cars in that category
Old 10-09-08, 10:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Hard to believe this and the Corolla are in the same segment.

This just looks so, so, so much better.
Hard to believe such awkard proportions and over-the-top styling cues are being praised.

I guess it makes sense though. Enthusiasts will love this and praise this just because it's "different", while the general public will have a much different outlook on things.

Difference of opinion, but as an enthusiast I hate the styling. Performance and handling I'm sure will be good.

Originally Posted by carguy101
This design is light-years superior to the Corolla and the Sentra. Not even close.
In terms of odd proportions and randomly placed character lines, yes. In terms of elegance and design cohesiveness, no.
Old 10-09-08, 10:57 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Also ironic is that the side profile looks a lot like the Sentra's, and that nobody is complaining about the huge, elongated headlights that other automakers get criticized and slammed for.
Old 10-09-08, 11:23 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Love the rear of the car, not so sure about the front, i think id need to see one in person!
Old 10-09-08, 11:31 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

looks awesome, as does the new 6. I really like the new Mazda designs, I just hope they offer a RWD piston engine car at some point. If the new Speed6 has a good AWD system (not FWD-biased like last time), then I'll be very interested
Old 10-09-08, 12:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

In terms of odd proportions and randomly placed character lines, yes. In terms of elegance and design cohesiveness, no.
You can't be serious.
Old 10-09-08, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Hard to believe such awkard proportions and over-the-top styling cues are being praised.
Seems you're the one who sees it that way. WHAT awkward proportions? It looks extremely well balanced to me. Reminds me a bit of the first IS (300) which I always found 'tight' and 'neat'.

If it were a Toyota or Lexus design like this though, you'd be weak at the knees over it.

Enthusiasts will love this and praise this just because it's "different", while the general public will have a much different outlook on things.
Maybe. But I think you said you hate the current 3 and hasn't that been a runaway great hit there in Canada? Maybe familiarity has bred contempt in you.

'Random'!? As an 'enthusiast' - would you say its styling beats a Yaris, or a Corolla?
Old 10-09-08, 02:23 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess it makes sense though. Enthusiasts will love this and praise this just because it's "different", while the general public will have a much different outlook on things.

Difference of opinion, but as an enthusiast I hate the styling. Performance and handling I'm sure will be good.

I can't believe your calling the Corolla elegant. The Corolla is full of odd proportions. I mean could they have made it any taller and give it anymore wheel gap please? I'm not knocking the Corolla which is excellent for its given market segment, but please don't call it elegant.
Old 10-09-08, 03:31 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this car looks great! Mazda is on a roll lately, the redesigned 6 is also a very good looking car, inside and outside.

IMO this car is leaps and bounds ahead of the Carolla from what I see so far.
Old 10-09-08, 03:41 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

i've been inside a new corolla and was very disappointed with it, it looks like crap on the inside, with it's crappy *****.. i remember the mazda3 (hatch) that i drove once was so much better on the inside.. let's just hope they do a good job with this interior as well.. hmm, anyone know what the hatch will look like? i love the current one
Old 10-09-08, 05:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how slick the MS3 hatch will look
Old 10-09-08, 05:34 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the back and the body lines on the door...although i do think that the bumper, like the previous models, stick out too much. I like the headlights but I'm still not sure about that grille yet, maybe I need to look at it from the front

mazda has been designing a lot of lookers lately
Old 10-09-08, 08:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Seems you're the one who sees it that way. WHAT awkward proportions? It looks extremely well balanced to me. Reminds me a bit of the first IS (300) which I always found 'tight' and 'neat'.

If it were a Toyota or Lexus design like this though, you'd be weak at the knees over it.

Maybe. But I think you said you hate the current 3 and hasn't that been a runaway great hit there in Canada? Maybe familiarity has bred contempt in you.

'Random'!? As an 'enthusiast' - would you say its styling beats a Yaris, or a Corolla?
What awkward proportions? Where do I begin? As I mentioned, the rear bumper is WAY too big, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The swoopy, curvy front fender flares do NOT match the sharp creases and cuts on the rest of the car. It seems like Acura and Mazda are going for a similar styling direction here. Instead of that swoopy front fender flare, there should have just been a straight, or less swoopy cut there. The point where the front fender flare meets the shoulder line of the car is also awkward; as I mentioned earlier it's eerily similar to the Nissan Sentra. It's interesting how Mazda chose such strategic and "dynamic" angles to show the car, such as bottom-up-oriented or top-down-oriented views. Neither angles are ones that most people will ever see the car in real-life situations.

The awkwardness of this design will be more apparent when we get more pics, and see the full unveiling.

If this was a Toyota design I'd be slamming it.

Similarly, looking at the rear doors, the area where the character line meets the rear wheel well is awkward; it looks like the car was dented or hit by something. Then there is the cut at the bottom of the doors, why is it there? It doesn't flow or go along with any other styling cues.

The problem is Mazda tried to utilize too many styling elements on a small car, which does not have much exterior real estate to work with.

What about the "me too" Altezza tails, or the previously-mentioned elongated headlights? The fact that the front end lacks a traditional grille only further emphasizes the headlights.

While I don't like the current 3, it IS a better design than this IMHO. If I had to choose between this new 3 or the current 3, I would take the current one based on exterior styling alone. The current 3 is more elegant and cohesive than this new 3.

I'm not a big fan of the Yaris' styling, but neither am I a fan of this 3. The Corolla looks elegant and cohesive, but obviously it's not very sporty looking or eye-popping.

In sportiness and in terms of standing out, this 3 certainly has the Yaris and Corolla beat. Standing out though is not always a good thing; really ugly cars tend to stand out on the road just as easily as really beautiful cars. In terms of design cohesiveness and elegance, the Yaris and Corolla have this 3 beat, and the current 3 has this 3 beat. Yes they may be called bland and boring, but you cannot argue they lack design cohesiveness or elegance, even if it's a bland elegance.

Originally Posted by jwong77
I can't believe your calling the Corolla elegant. The Corolla is full of odd proportions. I mean could they have made it any taller and give it anymore wheel gap please? I'm not knocking the Corolla which is excellent for its given market segment, but please don't call it elegant.
I would suggest you look up what elegant really means. When I refer to elegant, I mean the Corolla has a simplicity to it's design which gives it elegance, a sort of bland elegance. This is because the design is so simple.

In either case, the Corolla is certainly more elegant than this new 3 (based on my description of elegance).

Being popular does not mean a whole lot in Canada. The Chevy Cobalt is a popular model here, yet I highly doubt that very many people will call it a great car. People in Canada are very price-conscious, as well as image-conscious. A lot of people bought the 3 just because it was different. A lot of people bought the Cobalt just because of it's low price. Regardless, the Civic and Corolla remain the top two cars in the class.

Mazda's reputation is still not very solid compared to Honda or Toyota. Combined with the styling risks Mazda is taking on it's new models, and factoring in the rough economy, people will buy the reputable, or "safe" choice, which means Corolla and Civic. Also factoring in the fact that the current 3 lags behind the Civic and Corolla in fuel economy, it gives people even more reason not to get a 3. Whether the new 3 gets better fuel economy remains to be seen, but the current 3 has already established a (not so good) reputation for average fuel economy compared to the class leaders.
Old 10-09-08, 08:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

^ Quote in response to bitkahuna.
Old 10-09-08, 09:39 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So your calling disproportionately tall with suv-like wheel gap elegant? I think your definition of elegant has more to do with the Toyota badge on the hood.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mazda3 unveiled