Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Mazda3 unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ST430
I had the same thought last year and bought a fully loaded Mazda CX-7. It definitely had the Zoom-zoom appeal and the looks to coincide with it! HOWEVER, in terms of quality, it's a mixed bag. My interior went to crap after 6 months (plastic scratched easily and leather looked worn already and i hardly drove it). The check engine light went on about 2/3 of the time driving me batty! After getting a 09' RAV4 recently, the CX-7 just sits in the garage collecting dust now. Great thought, great design, but execution wise, Mazda has a long ways to go to catch up with Honda/Toyco quality! I don't think I will buy another one anytime soon unless they upgrade from the Ford class they are derived from....
The Rav4 is one of those rare cars that just is clearly the best in its segment. Though I thought the CX-7 is a class higher? I've seen it in comparos with the Acura RDX.

I could be wrong.

Nice pick up!

Old 10-13-08, 08:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Mmkay... my bad, thanks.

Here's one from Edmunds, of a U.S. 2009 Corolla. Such a huge difference.

Notice not just the front bumper and grill are different, but so are the headlights. So in the front end, I would say it's a noticeable difference.

Originally Posted by Bean
wat.

Mazda has pretty decent ratings these days. Are those Ford motors under the hoods? Where are all the 2.3L turbo Fords then? Ford doesn't tune or design the suspension either or their cars would be at the level Mazda is at. Its no Lexus or anything on the reliability front, but Toyota has been having plenty of its own issues. As far as handling goes, across the entire model range, only BMW (as far as non-exotic cars go) can be mentioned in the same sentence as Mazda. If you don't believe me, go drive a MS3 hatch and tell me it doesn't outhandle everything short of an M3.

People don't buy a Toyota because of its reliability; if they did they would have stopped buying quite a few of their best sellers a couple years ago. They buy them for their perceived reliability; pig and elephant DNA just won't splice.
Depending on what models you compare, some Nissans handle just as well, if not better than competing Mazdas.

Feelin' the Mazda love (except TRDFantasy )
I fully respect Mazda for the performance and handling they offer, as well as the "look at me" styling. I just don't like Mazdas personally because they are not for me; they don't match my priorities in terms what I look for in a car.
Old 10-13-08, 08:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
I've felt the Mazda love and it was good to me

TRDFantasy only feels Toyota love.
Heaven forbid another enthusiast has a different opinion .

I'm free to hold my own opinion, and I personally don't like Mazdas.
Old 10-13-08, 08:36 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Mmkay... my bad, thanks.

Here's one from Edmunds, of a U.S. 2009 Corolla. Such a huge difference.

While the Corolla is not my cup of tea (I despise compacts), it is much better looking then it once was. From the S series to slightly modded, it doesn't look half bad:

Last edited by ST430; 10-13-08 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-13-08, 08:49 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Rav4 is one of those rare cars that just is clearly the best in its segment. Though I thought the CX-7 is a class higher? I've seen it in comparos with the Acura RDX.

I could be wrong.

Nice pick up!
They are 2 totally different SUVs in my opinion. The RAV4 exceeds in things you want everyday: gas mileage, adequate power, room, comfort, quietness, etc. The CX-7 is more of a sports car trapped inside a SUV body: sharp handling, great power, cozy quarters, some luxury, etc. The CX-7 real competition is like the Murano, RD-X, and the like, but it's price point is directly inline with the RAV4. I enjoy driving the CX-7, but like the RAV4 for commuting duties much more.

Last edited by ST430; 10-13-08 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 10:36 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Depending on what models you compare, some Nissans handle just as well, if not better than competing Mazdas.

Oh? Do tell!

Don't bother bringing up the Sentra, versa, maxima, altima, 350z, or rogue. They are all beaten.
Old 10-14-08, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Yes and no.....as you note, it depends on model and options, but Mazdas in general (at least the ones not designed by Ford) are not known as "The Poor Man's BMW" for nothing. For street cars, they represent some of the best that Japanese chassis engineers, especially with FWD, can come up with.
Old 10-15-08, 03:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
Oh? Do tell!

Don't bother bringing up the Sentra, versa, maxima, altima, 350z, or rogue. They are all beaten.
For one thing, Mazda doesn't have very many models that compete head-to-head with Nissan.

But the Altima is beaten? Really? From everything I've read, heard, and experienced, the Altima handles better than the Mazda 6, particularly at highway speeds.
Old 10-15-08, 10:49 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

wow....lot of Mazda lovers in CL these days....oh well i guess i have to agree, I do love Mazdas....92-94 929s and the 3rd gen rx-7s besides that everything is I guess ok!!...lets get to the reliabilty part again... whats better if you are selling 9million cars and have 100000 defects or 500000 cars and have 50000defects?...well thats the difference, the proportion is what that matters as opposed to the number!!
Old 10-15-08, 10:52 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no.....as you note, it depends on model and options, but Mazdas in general (at least the ones not designed by Ford) are not known as "The Poor Man's BMW" for nothing. For street cars, they represent some of the best that Japanese chassis engineers, especially with FWD, can come up with.
hey man, Poor man's BMW is prolly right in every way!! Do you think BMWs are reliable? Europeans actually have the worst record in reliability of all.