Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend Test: 2009 G37 Sedan auto (0-60: 5.0s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 01:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why even bother with manual? if there is sport mode, it will shift closer to redline.

motortrend numbers are always the lowest on any car tested. i wonder what equipment they use.

i say motorweek uses only a stopwatch.
Old 10-09-08, 01:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Not sure about the G37, but with the IS350 Toyota can simply put Valvematic and their upcoming Dual VVT-iE technology on the 3.5L V6. They would be able to raise power to 330-350HP while keeping displacement at 3.5L. Torque levels would approach or exceed 300 lb-ft. Fuel economy would improve by more than 10%, in theory making it best-in-class. Only downside is it would be very expensive, as these are still new technologies. Valvematic has not been in production that long, and Dual VVT-iE is still in prototype stage.
Is that what makes the Aurion so powerful? It puts out more power from its 3.5L than the GS350...all through the front wheels.
Old 10-09-08, 01:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
how? I don't believe it, the G37 coupe got much worse numbers and all the editors were calling it a fat pig. Did the new G37 Sedan get a bigger engine than the coupe, what gives? Those times are faster than the 350Z HR which was killing the new G37 times.
G37 sedan weighs about 300-400lbs less IIRC. The G37 coupe is like 3800 to 3900lbs. It IS an overweight slug.

This is what the coupe SHOULD have done. Can thank the "Imagineers" over at Disney... err Nissan North America for that one
Old 10-09-08, 02:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Not sure about the G37, but with the IS350 Toyota can simply put Valvematic and their upcoming Dual VVT-iE technology on the 3.5L V6. They would be able to raise power to 330-350HP while keeping displacement at 3.5L. Torque levels would approach or exceed 300 lb-ft. Fuel economy would improve by more than 10%, in theory making it best-in-class. Only downside is it would be very expensive, as these are still new technologies. Valvematic has not been in production that long, and Dual VVT-iE is still in prototype stage.

I'm not sure what technology Nissan has on top of VVEL, which the G37 already utilizes. In theory, Nissan can add direct injection.
the GR already makes around 320hp. I'd bet they could put a valvematic system into it and drop it in a Toyota-ized IS coupe and make a nasty 370z-killer (Guess what I think they should call it?)
Old 10-09-08, 02:54 PM
LexFather

I think that is some really fantastic numbers out the gate. I will asses after the car gets reviewed by more mags, as there will be high and low times.

Makes the M35/45 totally redundant, its cheaper, performs better, looks better with nearly as much room.

Old 10-09-08, 03:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think that is some really fantastic numbers out the gate. I will asses after the car gets reviewed by more mags, as there will be high and low times.

Makes the M35/45 totally redundant, its cheaper, performs better, looks better with nearly as much room.
The M35/45 has a very nice interior, one of the nicest in its class and I was highly impressed by the materials, quality, design, and layout and it looks like an upscale expensive interior. G37 interior is not all that great and just did not impress me all that much, really just a mediocre design that looks pretty Nissanish and not very upscale. Exterior wise, neither looks all that great or stands out much but I have seen some black and grey M45 sports or ones with the small spoiler and larger wheels that look good especially when lowered a little bit, G35/37 sedans never really impressed and just look mediocre and plain from many angles, the G35 sedan was a bit on the ugly side inside and out but has gotten a little better with the new model. I would honestly take a M35/45 over a G35/37 sedan anyday and a used M35/45 is a car I will highly consider when getting my next car because I liked it so much and you can get some great deals on them. I am sure the M35 will be getting the 330hp v6 and 7 speed soon as well as the M50 coming soon with around 400hp so it has its place. I hope the next M will be a little more aggressive, sleeker and lower then the current one and be more CLS like as it has potential. It is highly rated as a sports/lux sedan and BMW rival and one of the highest rated by consumer reports.
Old 10-09-08, 03:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
The M35/45 has a very nice interior, one of the nicest in its class and I was highly impressed by the materials, quality, design, and layout and it looks like an upscale expensive interior. G37 interior is not all that great and just did not impress me all that much, really just a mediocre design that looks pretty Nissanish and not very upscale. Exterior wise, neither looks all that great or stands out much but I have seen some black and grey M45 sports or ones with the small spoiler and larger wheels that look good especially when lowered a little bit, G35/37 sedans never really impressed and just look mediocre and plain from many angles, the G35 sedan was a bit on the ugly side inside and out but has gotten a little better with the new model. I would honestly take a M35/45 over a G35/37 sedan anyday and a used M35/45 is a car I will highly consider when getting my next car because I liked it so much and you can get some great deals on them. I am sure the M35 will be getting the 330hp v6 and 7 speed soon as well as the M50 coming soon with around 400hp so it has its place. I hope the next M will be a little more aggressive, sleeker and lower then the current one and be more CLS like as it has potential. It is highly rated as a sports/lux sedan and BMW rival and one of the highest rated by consumer reports.
I do agree the M35/45 interior is nicer but IMO not that much nicer than the G35, which flows better than the ATM dash. The M35/45 also gets dismal gas mileage in comparison to this new car (and more any car). I find its aged very poorly, from the SUV front to the giant UFO tailights (the refresh helped) to the tiny brake calipers (the sport kit/19" package looks better). I will say I find the G35/37 better looking but neither really flows well with me.

Bottom line, I know its a good car, it just does nothing for me.

With the economy in its state, I don't see any new M37/50 making a big dent in anything like the last one and they will continue to depend of wal-mart priced leases to attract customers.

To me the G37 is one of those rare cars that for the price (especially a lease deal) it really offers most all you could want in a car. Its simply a tremendous value around 35k (the higher the price, the less the value). Decent looks inside and out, great performance, good size, good quality, you really have to search for the negatives.

I cannot find any substantial reason to get the M35/45 over the G37 outside you want an old V-8.

Old 10-09-08, 03:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Is that what makes the Aurion so powerful? It puts out more power from its 3.5L than the GS350...all through the front wheels.
aurion is supercharged.
Old 10-09-08, 03:28 PM
ISF84
Driver

I don't know that Motor Trend actually did the tests. They usually post the statistical data from their tests, but this article sounded very passive. They may just be stating what Infiniti wants to claim.
Old 10-09-08, 03:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I hope the next M will be a little more aggressive, sleeker and lower then the current one and be more CLS like as it has potential.

Look could be very subjective. To me Mercedes-Benz CLS is one of the ugliest four door vehicles in the world. G37 sedan, on the other hand, is very classy and yet sporty looking. But that's just me.
Old 10-09-08, 05:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Look could be very subjective. To me Mercedes-Benz CLS is one of the ugliest four door vehicles in the world. G37 sedan, on the other hand, is very classy and yet sporty looking. But that's just me.
What do you dislike so much about the CLS? The rear end,trunk is a little odd to me how it slopes down so much to a point but the overall car to me is very good looking. I was a fan of the G37 when I first saw a black one but now when I see them it does nothing for me for some reason and does not stand out at all, kind of has that boring jellybean look like the Ford Taurus had, but it is still a very good car especially considering the price and performance you get.
Old 10-09-08, 08:01 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

What do you dislike so much about the CLS? The rear end,trunk is a little odd to me how it slopes down so much to a point but the overall car to me is very good looking. I was a fan of the G37 when I first saw a black one but now when I see them it does nothing for me for some reason and does not stand out at all, kind of has that boring jellybean look like the Ford Taurus had, but it is still a very good car especially considering the price and performance you get.
Mainly the headlights, and yes also the sloping down rear end, like the Infiniti J30 in the 90s.
Old 10-09-08, 08:07 PM
LexFather

Wow, we agree here big time. I find the CLS to be one of the most original shapes we have seen and it looks fantastic. I totally agree the G35/37 looks like a jellybean.

Old 10-09-08, 08:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
the GR already makes around 320hp. I'd bet they could put a valvematic system into it and drop it in a Toyota-ized IS coupe and make a nasty 370z-killer (Guess what I think they should call it?)
Funny you mention that, as strong rumours continue to circulate that the FT-HS concept will become a production car that will be the new Supra, or a Supra replacement by another name. Rumours say that car would have a 350HP 3.5L, combined with a hybrid system, which sounds a lot like a Valvematic-equipped engine to me.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Are you referring to the TRD Aurion? The regular Aurion makes the same amout of power as a Camry V6. The TRD Aurion makes 323HP, but it is supercharged. No Aurion variant has Valvematic, and no current production Toyota has Dual VVT-iE.
Old 10-09-08, 08:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Infiniti is the Japanese BMW. Great cars with more of the performance aspect developed . I just wish the reliability and service were a little better. I heard they recently hired something like 562 new quality inspectors.

Quick Reply: Motortrend Test: 2009 G37 Sedan auto (0-60: 5.0s)