Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend Test: 2009 G37 Sedan auto (0-60: 5.0s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 12:07 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
why even bother with manual? if there is sport mode, it will shift closer to redline.

motortrend numbers are always the lowest on any car tested. i wonder what equipment they use.

i say motorweek uses only a stopwatch.
Because some people would rather have a more satisfying drive (Clutch + Shifter = )

The new automatics are great though. If I ever were forced to buy an automatic, I wouldn't be complaining as long as I still owned a 6MT.

Originally Posted by Bean
G37 sedan weighs about 300-400lbs less IIRC. The G37 coupe is like 3800 to 3900lbs. It IS an overweight slug.

This is what the coupe SHOULD have done. Can thank the "Imagineers" over at Disney... err Nissan North America for that one
That's incorrect. The 07-08 G35 Sedan weighed about 150lbs less than the G37 Coupe. And the G37 sedan's weight was bumped up about 100 lbs more. So the difference is very small. The differences have never been anywhere near 300-400 lbs unless you're comparing the 03 Sedan (lightest V35/V36 to date) to the 07 G37 Coupe (heaviest of the bunch).

Old 10-10-08, 05:16 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Look could be very subjective. To me Mercedes-Benz CLS is one of the ugliest four door vehicles in the world. G37 sedan, on the other hand, is very classy and yet sporty looking. But that's just me.
You are the first person I ever heard call the Benz CLS ugly. Man, that car is beautiful. It gets attention everywhere. I actually like the first G35 design, the new one to me has too many curves. I am so happy they update the interior. I am very impress with numbers also.
Old 10-10-08, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Infiniti is the Japanese BMW. Great cars with more of the performance aspect developed . I just wish the reliability and service were a little better. I heard they recently hired something like 562 new quality inspectors.
They are not the Japanese BMW, they are not even the Japanese Infiniti. They are trying to forge their own road. How on earth can they be a Japanese BMW? BMW still is by far the sportiest luxury brand.
1. 3 SUV lines, 2 car lines.
2. Only 1 manual offered in one car, the G37 sedan/coupe
3. No performance marque to compete with the real "M"
4. QX56? Hello? Handles like a garbage truck
4. Q45? Hello? Discontinued flagship

I have and will give them credit for doing a great job with some vehicles and they are trying to become a more credible luxury marque. They are no Japanese BMW.

Old 10-10-08, 11:08 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
I wonder how much faster the G37 and IS350 can get before needing another bump in engine size or FI. All you have to do for the 335 is up the boost (and void your warranty) for more power.
a dinan tune should solve that what you need is dinan software dinan exhaust and a oilcooler you have 406hp at crank with factory warrenty
Old 10-10-08, 11:22 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Infiniti is the Japanese BMW. Great cars with more of the performance aspect developed . I just wish the reliability and service were a little better. I heard they recently hired something like 562 new quality inspectors.
are you kidding me the japaneese bmw?? theyre as much of a bmw as a Seat is. IMO infinti's are over priced pos interior looks like poop seats are worse than in the lexus the old g35 had same interior as the 01 maxima

not much development going on at nissan infiniti they have no diesel's theyre hybrid system is from toyota all the engines are the same they just detune them for diffrent applications they use one chassi to make the g35/37 coupe/sedan 370z ex35 fx35/50 its all booring bmw shares the 3 series chassi only with the x3 bmw has hydrogen systems and fantastic diesels bmw uses way better materials they have a nice solid feal to them so please dont compare some pos infiniti to a bmw
Old 10-10-08, 12:14 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I totally agree the G35/37 looks like a jellybean.
+1 jellybean.
it's just so round:

Old 10-10-08, 02:01 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
are you kidding me the japaneese bmw?? theyre as much of a bmw as a Seat is. IMO infinti's are over priced pos interior looks like poop seats are worse than in the lexus the old g35 had same interior as the 01 maxima

not much development going on at nissan infiniti they have no diesel's theyre hybrid system is from toyota all the engines are the same they just detune them for diffrent applications they use one chassi to make the g35/37 coupe/sedan 370z ex35 fx35/50 its all booring bmw shares the 3 series chassi only with the x3 bmw has hydrogen systems and fantastic diesels bmw uses way better materials they have a nice solid feal to them so please dont compare some pos infiniti to a bmw

Are you drunk? Oh BMW has a production hybrid? What is it? BMW has one interior design for the whole lineup right now, isn't boring then? Tell BMW to make a genuine super car before claiming such exaggerating narrow-minded statement.
Old 10-10-08, 02:39 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

You guys are taking "Japanese BMW" out of context. They are the Japanese BMW in terms of balancing sport and luxury. No other Japanese car manufacturer comes closer. Drive a 3er and then go drive a G/IS/TL. Tell me which one out of those feels most like a BMW.

Anyways the G37 Sedan is quite impressive
Old 10-10-08, 03:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are you kidding me the japaneese bmw?? theyre as much of a bmw as a Seat is.

Out of any current Japanese car, I thought the 07 Infiniti G35-S felt and drove the closest to a BMW. At the time I had only owned my previous E36 for comparison. Was ready to trade in my LS400 for the G35, but then got a great deal on a used 02 E46 330i with 20K miles on it. Back to back, the BMW is still the king as far as drivers cars go, but the Infiniti was the next best thing from the Japanese manufactures.

I believe that is what people are talking about. The latest crop of Infiniti's are much better over all then any other past Infiniti. I felt interior fit and finish, and feel were just about on par with my 99 LS400. Power was just a good as well. Drive wise it was the closest thing to my BMW aside from the Acura NSX which simply is in a different league. These cars have come a long way since 2003.
Old 10-10-08, 07:26 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Nissan offers the GTR with performance no BMW can touch. And the G37 with a 105+mph trap speed makes it at least as fast as anything in its class.
Old 10-10-08, 07:53 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogers2
You are the first person I ever heard call the Benz CLS ugly. Man, that car is beautiful. It gets attention everywhere. I actually like the first G35 design, the new one to me has too many curves. I am so happy they update the interior. I am very impress with numbers also.
Probably there is something wrong with my eyes or something, I don't know why . I feel wierd when people saying how sexy CLS looks, i was like "huh?" I guess I like the traditional wedge shaped cars, you know, sloping down and long bonnet, short and high trunk, very slanted front end with aggressive headlights(just like Lexus IS hehe). If you look at my signature, you would see all the cars I like are like this.....CLS is not my cot.
Old 10-10-08, 09:21 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Are you drunk? Oh BMW has a production hybrid? What is it? BMW has one interior design for the whole lineup right now, isn't boring then? Tell BMW to make a genuine super car before claiming such exaggerating narrow-minded statement.
actualy 7 series hybrid was at the paris auto show x6 is going to have a hybrid variand and if the m5 and m6 arent super carish enoug for you a bmw m1 is in the pipeline.

not much simiraties

here are just the skectches but its in development
Old 10-11-08, 12:43 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

actualy 7 series hybrid was at the paris auto show x6 is going to have a hybrid variand and if the m5 and m6 arent super carish enoug for you a bmw m1 is in the pipeline.

not much simiraties

here are just the skectches but its in development
Posting all the pictures for what? proving what you were saying is true?
Oh yeah all the BMW interior designs are essentially the same, how engaging it is huh? To me the G's and M's interior designs are much better than BMW's. Admit it, the current BMW's center console has been significantly simplied by the appearance of i-Drive system but at the same time getting less diversified. If they look good, who is going to blame them? But they look very ..... how to put it..... simple and non-luxurious.
BMW M5 and M6 are super cars? M5 is a high peformance luxury mid-sized sports sedan/saloon, M6 is at most a luxury gran tourer, about the class of Jaguar XKR and Maserati Granturismo S. Even if they are barely considered supercar wannabe, can they beat GT-R ANYWHERE? You don't need to think, the answer is a 100% no.
M1 homage in the pipeline? That means not production yet, then wait until we see a production one and compare it to a GT-R V spec to see which one rules. In the meantime, BMW fanboys should at least give the respect Nissan deserves.
Old 10-11-08, 05:03 AM
LexFather

People, post about the comments and debate or provide something so when you refute a comment, people can say "okay thanks".

Attacking a person(s) will simply get your comment deleted and maybe an infraction.

Old 10-11-08, 01:27 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Why are you talking about a 2003-2004 G35 Interior? I thought we were in the present

Their new interiors are fantastic. Go sit in the new EX & FX and see for yourself.

It's sad how many people in here can't give credit where its due without bringing some negativity

Last edited by S8B; 10-11-08 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Motortrend Test: 2009 G37 Sedan auto (0-60: 5.0s)