Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X4 news

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Post BMW X4 news

BMW has been aggressively expanding its vehicle offerings, and like most other automakers, crossovers make up the majority of additions. Earlier this year, team Bimmer added the X6, and with the X1 concept unveiled in Paris, mild-to-wild CUVs seem to be the focus for the boys in Bavaria. Automotive News is reporting that the SAV love will continue next year when BMW unleashes the X4. Design elements are said to come from the larger X6, which is to say that it'll probably look like a really tall hatchback. The X1 concept and the production X3 are based off of the excellent 3-Series platform, and we're guessing the X4 will also don the sharp-handling underpinnings.

If this is what BMW needs to do in order to remain the world's top-selling luxury automaker, we're not so sure it's worth the trouble. The X1 will probably sell relatively well, but it will do so with underwhelming sheet metal. An X4 based off the X6 sounds like an even worse proposition, but then again, we didn't think the X6 was a bright idea either.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/09/x...lanning-an-x4/

Old 10-09-08, 05:38 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope someone who made that pic was playing a joke, because that thing makes me want to puke.
Old 10-09-08, 06:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too much longer and BMW's lineup will outpace Ford's, GM's, and Toyota's.

In all honesty though, for a company that is struggling to turn a profit in North America, they seem to be churning out these low volume, niche products pretty quickly. That said, I don't know what the profit margin is on a 1 Series or X6, or something like an X4.
Old 10-09-08, 07:43 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

horrible photoshop. why do hey report on products that don't exist and post bogus photos. If you read the text, they are just speculating on the look.
Old 10-10-08, 05:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree . That thing is awful. Worse than the Aztek. Worse than its own brother X6. I suspect it was indeed posted as a joke, as BMW doesn't even have a 4-series that I know of.
Old 10-10-08, 06:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL at that rendereing in post#1..
Here is a better rendering from bimmerpost of the X4.

If it looks like this above, I am sold..
Old 10-10-08, 06:36 AM
Koma

I don't really like either rendering but the one up top looks like a Dodge Caliber that was misshapen.
I thought the rumors going were that an X4 would be a two door version of the X3.

Mike Marshall: there is no 4 series in existence but there was a rumor going around a while ago that BMW was changing their naming scheme to have the 3 series sedan only and the 4 series the coupes only (e90, e92).
Old 10-10-08, 06:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
I don't really like either rendering but the one up top looks like a Dodge Caliber that was misshapen.
I thought the rumors going were that an X4 would be a two door version of the X3.
That would be the X2.. Yet another model lol.. There is a rendering of that as well..
Old 10-10-08, 07:03 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
That would be the X2.. Yet another model lol.. There is a rendering of that as well..
That's a lot of crossovers... I wonder how they plan to price all these models.
Old 10-10-08, 07:08 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
That's a lot of crossovers... I wonder how they plan to price all these models.
Something for everyone & giving the buyer options ala Mercedes Benz. It gets boring having the same cookie cutter models year after year..
Old 10-10-08, 07:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

Something for everyone & giving the buyer options ala Mercedes Benz. It gets boring having the same cookie cutter models year after year..
True but how much is too much? Sure gas looks to be trending downwards, but it'll take sustained low priced gas for SUVs to gain any traction in the US market again. I'd take a X3 over either of the renderings.
Old 10-10-08, 07:28 AM
LexFather

BMW Purists are gagging all over the internet...cancel the CSL, make more SUV thingies....

How about a 7 series coupe?

Old 10-10-08, 07:29 AM
Koma

Yea I suppose but I wish they'd produce more cars that I'm interested in though...
Old 10-10-08, 07:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW Purists are gagging all over the internet...cancel the CSL, make more SUV thingies....

How about a 7 series coupe?
The cars will still be churning from the factories.. How does a Z8 replacement with a V10 sound?
Old 10-10-08, 07:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 746 Likes on 516 Posts

The cars will still be churning from the factories.. How does a Z8 replacement with a V10 sound?
TT v10?

Quick Reply: BMW X4 news