Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Daimler CEO says Maybach is saved

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 05:39 PM
LexFather

Post Daimler CEO says Maybach is saved

With no new models in the pipeline and a paltry 146 units sold in all of 2007, there has been plenty of speculation that Maybach could be running at a loss and eventually dropped from Daimler’s portfolio. Considering rival brands Rolls Royce and Bentley are experiencing record sales and growth, walking away from Maybach was an idea suggested by Daimler’s CEO Dieter Zetsche as recently as March.

However, in his latest interview with Automotive News, Zetsche has revealed that Maybach is not running at a loss and the brand won’t be dropped anytime soon. He revealed that there is support for Maybach from within Daimler. Although it won’t make a positive return on investment, Zetsche said “it doesn’t matter” because Maybach has proven that it can build a car to compete with Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

The other positive is that development costs for Maybach were relatively low because both the 57 and 62 models are largely based on the last-generation Mercedes S-Class. As for a new model, Zetsche has previously stated that a decision has not been made yet, but will come in the next two years.

Maybach’s most recent model, the 62S Landaulet, has recently gone on sale but is only a handful of cars are expected to be produced. With a brand new Arnage in the works and Rolls Royce set to launch a smaller and more affordable model, competition in the ultra-luxury market is about to get tougher than ever.

Old 10-09-08, 05:59 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE] Maybach’s most recent model, the 62S Landaulet, has recently gone on sale but is only a handful of cars are expected to be produced. With a brand new Arnage in the works and Rolls Royce set to launch a smaller and more affordable model, competition in the ultra-luxury market is about to get tougher than ever.[/QUOTE]

I got this from Motor Trend: Rolls-Royce's Goodwood plant in southern England will assemble the cars, and it's getting a doubling of capacity to cope. That implies an output of 1000 RR4s per year, only one-eighth of Bentley's output of Continentals. Rolls CEO Ian Robertson confirms this positioning: "It will be significantly more expensive than the Bentley." Pricing is likely to be about $340,000 here in the U.S.
I would NEVER pay $340,000 for a small Rolls let alone the Phantom I once looked at a Phantom and the paint job was horrible it needed to be repainted.
Old 10-10-08, 03:01 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i don't know why anyone would pay so much for a bigger, if not uglier, benz.

If I had that kinda money, I'd be in a proper RR or Bentley.
Old 10-10-08, 04:56 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ha ha your funny. Maybe you should at least go test drive one before making a statement like that. Better yet just go sit in one. I actually think RR and Bentley cars are overrated.
Old 10-10-08, 06:43 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogers2
ha ha your funny. Maybe you should at least go test drive one before making a statement like that. Better yet just go sit in one. I actually think RR and Bentley cars are overrated.
test drive... u'd probably be still in the back seat having ur chauffeur test drive it for u lol but thats just me
Old 10-10-08, 06:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

both the 57 and 62 models are largely based on the last-generation Mercedes S-Class.
I would rather get a current generation S65 & pay less than half as much LOL ... no wonder so few people want them.
Old 10-10-08, 06:45 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogers2
I'm really tired of people saying "have you driven one?"
You don't have to drive a car to not like it or know you won't like it. First thing that goes on is initial attraction to a car. And I'm not gonna know how a car drives just by looking at it but if it's ugly as sin, I wouldn't consider buying one anyway. Maybe if i had a friend who had one and they let me drive it, I'd say sure but if I'm looking to buy a vehicle and it's ugly than no.
And no I can't afford any of those marques anyway but that doesn't take away my right to say "damn that thing is FUGLY."
Old 10-10-08, 06:50 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

However, in his latest interview with Automotive News, Zetsche has revealed that Maybach is not running at a loss and the brand won’t be dropped anytime soon.
<whew> I'll be able to sleep tonight.
Old 10-10-08, 07:14 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I'd far rather have one of these old things. I've always loved the short wheel base Grand Mercedes 600. Back in the mid 1970's, I parked in the same downtown Kansas City parking lot as a guy that had two 600's -- one green and one white. He let me drool over them.

Back in 1972 I spent about a hour at the Mercedes plant in Sindelfingen watching several 600's, including a landaulet partial convertible, being built -- they were not moving down an assembly line. My favorite part of that experience was seeing the beer cart come around and watching the auto workers take a break. It was really cool, there was a viewing area for us tourists to watch from.

I may not buy Mercedes anymore but I still have some fond memories of them.
Attached Thumbnails Daimler CEO says Maybach is saved-mercedes_600_navy-blue_3-4_lo.jpg  
Old 10-11-08, 06:53 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
I'd far rather have one of these old things. I've always loved the short wheel base Grand Mercedes 600. Back in the mid 1970's, I parked in the same downtown Kansas City parking lot as a guy that had two 600's -- one green and one white. He let me drool over them.

Back in 1972 I spent about a hour at the Mercedes plant in Sindelfingen watching several 600's, including a landaulet partial convertible, being built -- they were not moving down an assembly line. My favorite part of that experience was seeing the beer cart come around and watching the auto workers take a break. It was really cool, there was a viewing area for us tourists to watch from.

I may not buy Mercedes anymore but I still have some fond memories of them.

How about the Mercedes 6.9 from the late 70's early 80's era.
I did once see a stretched Mercedes appeared to be factory (maybe same as pictured or similar) the back bore the number 100D or 1000 it was hard to tell as driving was a top priority where I sighted that sticking over the sidewalk on a narrow two lane busy street.

Last edited by herbvdh; 10-11-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-11-08, 07:23 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy a maybach over bentley/RR any day...there are WAAAYYYY too many bentleys I see on the road

If you still think a Maybach sucks, well feast on this...

Old 10-11-08, 08:15 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Too bad ^^ it's a one-off model only, & it's for sale for like $6 million+

Yes that Exelero coupe is the only Maybach that interest me ...
Old 10-11-08, 09:41 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by herbvdh
How about the Mercedes 6.9 from the late 70's early 80's era.
The "Mercedes 6.9" was essentially identical to the 1973 450SEL I owned back in the 1970s except for its much larger engine, hydropneumatic suspension and a few interior niceties like a power slide rear seat. Both the 450SEL and its 6.9 brother were absolutely incredible cars. I hated it when I exchanged my 450SEL for a horrible mid-size 4-cylinder Mercedes 240D diesel in 1979 which I put up with until 1990 when I bought an LS400.

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I did once see a stretched Mercedes appeared to be factory (maybe same as pictured or similar) the back bore the number 100D or 1000 it was hard to tell as driving was a top priority where I sighted that sticking over the sidewalk on a narrow two lane busy street.
Mercedes has sold a stretched eight passenger mid-size (E-Class) "pullman" sedan outside the U.S. since at least the early 1970s. They are typically used as limos, taxis, and for diplomats. I saw one a few years ago in Athens all decked out in ribbons and flowers carry a newly married couple away from the church. I've seen a few of the mid-size Mercedes pullmans in the U.S.

Mercedes has sold "pullman" S-Class cars in various configurations outside the U.S. at least since the Grand Mercedes 600 was discontinued in the early 80s. You can read about and see photos of the current armored "Guard" S-Class pullman at http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/23/s...usine-in-deve/

I wonder if Toyota/Lexus makes anything like that!
Old 10-12-08, 01:04 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm really tired of people saying "have you driven one?"
You don't have to drive a car to not like it or know you won't like it. First thing that goes on is initial attraction to a car. And I'm not gonna know how a car drives just by looking at it but if it's ugly as sin, I wouldn't consider buying one anyway. Maybe if i had a friend who had one and they let me drive it, I'd say sure but if I'm looking to buy a vehicle and it's ugly than no.
And no I can't afford any of those marques anyway but that doesn't take away my right to say "damn that thing is FUGLY."
you have to consider some of the clientele for these types of vehicles though

some want full luxury yet without too too much flash and bang or attraction

IMO, maybach does that very well
full luxury yet without the menacing figure of a rolls royce or a flashiness of a bently
Old 10-12-08, 06:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

IMO, Daimler's biggest mistake with the Maybach was not selling it as a Mercedes-Benz. It should have been a model within the Mercedes-Benz lineup with a traditional Mercedes grill, a three pointed star hood ornament, and a "Maybach" model designation on the trunk lid.

And the grill and hood ornament on the Maybach 57 and 62 are just plain goofy.

Quick Reply: Daimler CEO says Maybach is saved