Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porshe's baby Cayenne spotted on Ring

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 03:35 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Porshe's baby Cayenne spotted on Ring

Spy Shots: Baby Cayenne caught on 'Ring!

Porsche almost slid a fast one by spy photographers recently when it began testing a new baby Cayenne SUV prototype at the famed Nurburgring race track in Germany. The thing looks for all the world like an actual Cayenne SUV, but photographers first noticed its diminutive proportions, then its sharply raked D-pillar, and then the different cut lines around its door. Soon it became apparent that this was no Cayenne, but rather a prototype for a new, smaller Porsche SUV that's likely based on the upcoming Audi Q5. Like
most people, we've always thought the idea of a Porsche SUV is kind of silly, but make it smaller and lighter and we get commensurately more interested. Click after the jump for more analysis from the spy photographers themselves.

Now that the dust has settled, we have had a bit more time to analyze the new Porsche SUV prototype that hit the scene today. Our initial speculation that this prototype was based on the Audi Q5 looks solid now that we have further compared the profiles of the two vehicles. The proportions, door sizes, and basic packaging clearly appear linked. We can also see several design touches that Porsche designers have employed to gain some visual distance with the Q5.

While the side window profile of the Q5 has a slight downward slope as you head toward the backlight, the new Porsche appears to have a flatter--and therefore slightly taller--roof line. Conversely, the Porsche's D-pillar and backlight are sloped, while the Q5 opts for a more vertical rear window. The rear-door cut-lines have nearly identical placement and angle on both cars, but the Porsche's has a greater arc as it turns toward the C-pillar cut-line, due to the Porsche's more bulbous, 911-inspired haunches.

The A-pillars and windshields look like they may be shared between the two cars, but the Porsche moves away from the Audi by shifting its side mirrors off of the A-pillars, and onto the door panels. The small triangular brace that holds the Audi's side mirror has gone to glass on the new Porsche.

The overall surface development of the Q5 displays some angularity, while the Porsche opts for softer details and a more porpoise-like shape to its nose. The Porsche's ride-height also appears much more aggressive, but as this prototype was being flogged in the middle of a tight corner, some of its low stance is certainly attributed to the suspension loads.

The similarities between the new Baby Cayenne and the Audi Q5 are now becoming clearer. But the changes made to differentiate the Porsche are also becoming more apparent as well.
More here:http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/08/s...ught-on-ring/3

This Porshe suv is based on the soon to be released Audi Q5 which can be seen in this vid below & Audi's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIXp_JmPn-4
Old 10-12-08, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Q5 looks awesome. This shrunken Cayenne - not so much (although it will probably change a lot before production).
Old 10-12-08, 03:51 PM
LexFather

I think its just a development mule for something else.

Old 10-12-08, 05:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

what ever it is, i want one
Old 10-12-08, 06:17 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

3 wheel motion
Old 10-12-08, 06:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think its just a development mule for something else.
I hope you're right, not another SUV from Porsche
Old 10-12-08, 07:17 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anyone else notice in the first pic, the driver's side wheel is lifted off the ground lol.. i wonder what this is gonna be
Old 10-12-08, 07:36 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dunno but hope they make that hood line up.
Old 10-12-08, 10:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by farquad
did anyone else notice in the first pic, the driver's side wheel is lifted off the ground lol.. i wonder what this is gonna be
thats pretty normal for any cars going around that bend on the ring

the old nordscheife (sp) has 2 of those angled bends that all the cars will have at least 1 wheel off the ground going at racing pace taking the racing line (inside then coming out of gradient little bit before apex IRRC)
Old 10-12-08, 10:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Probably a mule for the next gen Cayenne. I read the next gen will be significantly smaller than the current generation.
Old 10-13-08, 06:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by farquad
Yup.. This feat would be considered a suicide attempt on the Ring if done in a run of the mill suv.. This is a baby Porshe suv based on the Audi Q5/ VW Tiguan as the Cayenne is based on the Audi Q7/VW Toureg. The Audi/VW/Porshe marriage of the yesteryear continues..