Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I got pulled over this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 07:31 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

While it's a lop-sided compliment...I think it's an abuse of power.

Basically, he FORCED you to pull over and talk to him...because he could. He didn't get on his PA and ask "Hey, would you mind pulling over? I have a question for you."

When he turns on his siren or kicks his lights on, you are required BY LAW to pull over. I think he should be REQUIRED to have a legitimate reason to do so.

This only reinforces my belief that the majority of cops are people who used to get beat up in high school. They're not smart enough to get a decent job where they'd EARN a position of authority but, they want to be in charge so, they take a job where the authority is appointed. And, not surprisingly, since the authority is appointed, not earned, they abuse it.
Old 10-14-08, 08:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

I take it you don't like cops.

Let's not guess what happened. But let's talk about procedure:

Lights only : "I'm getting your attention." No need to pull over if you don't want to.

Light + siren : "Pull over. Now!" This is mandatory.

The OP didn't state if the siren went off. He just stated that the cop did pull him over. I wouldn't mind if a cop pulled me over to complement me; sure beats getting a ticket...
Old 10-14-08, 09:25 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
^^^

I take it you don't like cops.
I don't like cops who pull this kind of crap...no.

But let's talk about procedure:

Lights only : "I'm getting your attention." No need to pull over if you don't want to.

I've spent half an hour on Google trying to find someone (other than you) to state that pulling over is "optional" if a cop doesn't use his siren.

I found this from the Commonwealth of Virginia DMV website...

"When police, fire and rescue vehicles or ambulances approach you using a siren, flashing light or both, you must immediately yield the right-of-way. Pull over to the right edge of the road and stop until the emergency vehicle has passed. Don’t follow any emergency vehicle any closer than 500 feet."

I'm reading this and, to me, the appropriate words (for the OP's situation) are "When police...approach using a siren...you must yield right-of-way. Pull over to the right edge of the road and stop.."

This seems fairly unambiguous to me...and nowhere do I see anything resembling the word "optional" or "no need to pull over".

And, seriously, you can't even argue that there's some obscure technicality that states he HAS to use his siren or you can ignore him. If you want to REALLY **** off a cop, play "I know more about the law than you do" when he pulls you over.
Old 10-14-08, 10:27 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

You're right, Habious. Pulling over when lights only are used is mandatory, not optional. Most traffic stops in this area, whether on the freeway or city streets, are done with lights only. If you move to the side and they fly by, you just got a near heart attack for no reason, but it's better than the interview with law enforcement.
Old 10-14-08, 10:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
...so that the cop could ask me what kind of rims I had on my car and where I got them from. Is that legal?

He pulled me over in traffic on the way to work, and once he got out of his car he was really friendly and just wanted to talk about cars but I was really freaked out at first. I kept waiting for him to say that I had done something wrong but he just wanted the exact paint code that I used for my wheels and the name of the bodyshop that did them for me.

Cool...but I was late to work
Wow, never had that happen before. One time I was downtown and I remember seeing a motorcycle cop and he turned around and I was like "oh damnit" and he followed me. At a light, he pulls up next to me and says "hey I have a Lexus too" and we spoke.

Wheeeeew

There are tons of great law enforcement out there. I've had my bad experiences but I won't let that force me to think they are all bad.

Old 10-14-08, 11:04 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad you didn't get a ticket man.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Random randomness is something I pride myself on
haha. me too sometimes.

belly button.
Old 10-14-08, 11:47 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^

when i got busted for speeding.. he didn't have his siren
Old 10-14-08, 12:16 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bet the police is young here.. and a car enthusiast too
Old 10-14-08, 03:47 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
he just wanted the exact paint code that I used for my wheels and the name of the bodyshop that did them for me.

Cool...but I was late to work

pics of the wheels???
Old 10-14-08, 05:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Police in Mexico City would often stop me just to ask what kind of vehicle it was (no Lexus yet in Mexico) since I had removed the rear badging, though a few busted my ***** when I first moved down there.
Old 10-14-08, 06:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default No its not ok or legal

That is pretty lame of the lame *** cop. he needs to remain professional at all times. That is not professional, and has nothing to do with patrolling or keeping the streets and highways safe. These lame *** cops get to do what ever they want because they are cops. BS!! They have to abide by certain laws and rules of professional conduct. NO ITS NOT LEGAL and dont let your vanity or pride for your car make you think thats ok for a minute. He can pull you over, but not for that. He can turn on the lights to get your attention ( example if you have a headlight out, gas cap off, etc) not for the jerk to ask about rims. My brother is an atorney for LA city councils office and he says he shouldnt have done that. If you were hit while stopped on the freeway then what ? I would have reported his lame *** to the department and I would have had my lawyer take care of it. I am a doctor I dont have time for lame *** stuff like that. When I show up to work there is usually 6-8 patients waiting. If I was late what do I tell them, " some lame cop pulled me over to ask me about the rims on my car", I would have my lawyer chew them out, and threaten to initiate litigation for waisting my very valuable time and the time of my ill patients. stupid cop, get a clue, or a membership to an online forum.
Old 10-14-08, 06:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
pics of the wheels???
They're just painted IS 300 wheels...done in Graphite Grey Pearl.

Close up of the finish/paint

Old 10-14-08, 06:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
While it's a lop-sided compliment...I think it's an abuse of power.

Basically, he FORCED you to pull over and talk to him...because he could. He didn't get on his PA and ask "Hey, would you mind pulling over? I have a question for you."

When he turns on his siren or kicks his lights on, you are required BY LAW to pull over. I think he should be REQUIRED to have a legitimate reason to do so.

This only reinforces my belief that the majority of cops are people who used to get beat up in high school. They're not smart enough to get a decent job where they'd EARN a position of authority but, they want to be in charge so, they take a job where the authority is appointed. And, not surprisingly, since the authority is appointed, not earned, they abuse it.

I agree 150%. They are generally not well educated people who do abuse authority at times. they go to a camp/training program for a very very brief period of time, and they are given authority over all. Very strange. I have had alot of racist and questionable things happen to me in LA by the cops there and I hate cops in LA. They think because you are not white they can pull you over and search your car for anything and give you the old excuse that there was a crime committed in the area with a vehicle that matches the description of your car. BS piggy. My brother works for LA city council and says the cops are sued constantly for doing some pretty bad stuff. They are not all the little cherubs of justice that we think they are. you guys need to stop feeling fortunate because you didnt get a ticket and realize you have rights. Because he could have ruined your day, but didnt, you feel lucky. well the stupid cop had no legitamate reason to pull you over. you have to remeber that. Litigation is like chryptonite to cops. Just tell him that you will sue him. That usually trips them out. Especially when they realize that you know your rights.
Old 10-14-08, 08:10 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nobleblack
Man stop with the sueing talk. It's not cryptonite, cops hear that all the time. It's america we have more lawyers than engineers. And think about the consequences of suing the cop. The only one who get's paid is the lawyer. While you've just made yourself and your whole family a target for police etc. There's also a thing as counter suing. There's lawsuits that get held up for years. Who has more money the cops or you? Who's up around the clock the cops or you? And why because a cop pulled you over to talk about how he liked your wheels. Man pick your battles wisely.

Further more part of the reason why this country is messed is because of lawyers and the people that use them. It's not cause they want justice it's cause they want money more than justice. It's not even justice it's who has the best lawyer. So now cops and other people can't do their jobs as well.
First...and I say this with all good humor...it's spelled "kryptonite" (smile).

Second, while I certainly agree that we now live in an on overly litigeous society, there's a higher purpose to suing someone other than just getting a big, fat lawsuit payout.

The police officers need to understand that this kind of behaviour is simply not "OK". There needs to be an annoucement at a morning squad briefing along the lines of...

"Everyone, listen up...you all know about Officer Johnson and his legal troubles. You all know what he did, and you all know it was wrong. Well, we got word today that a judgement has been handed down in the case. Officer Johnson was fined $15,000 by the courts for punitive damages and the department has terminated his employment. Fortunately for Officer Johnson, K-mart on Ridge road is hiring security guards for the afternoon shift."

There needs to be posters up on the squad room walls....a picture of MPLexus301's car...and underneath it reads "Don't be stupid...don't be an Officer Johnson".

I've met too many cops who think "The laws are in place for me to enforce, not to obey"...and that's just a bunch of crap.
Old 10-14-08, 08:28 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
i bet the police is young here.. and a car enthusiast too
Ha, he could also be a CL member too. I remember a few months ago seeing posts in the 2nd-Gen GS forums from a person who's a cop.

Quick Reply: So I got pulled over this morning...