Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti EX fail. Selling at 50% of forecast, updates to be made after only 1 year

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 11:37 AM
LexFather

Talking Infiniti EX fail. Selling at 50% of forecast, updates to be made after only 1 year

Another 1SICK told you so

http://www.motorauthority.com/infini...crossover.html

Poor sales of current EX have prompted Infiniti to update the model after just one year
Infiniti is updating its EX luxury crossover less than a year out from its original launch in response to customer criticism that it lacks rear-passenger space. The vehicle’s striking design and already generous standard equipment list were not enough to woo customers who tended to buy more expensive rivals despite the EX in most cases offering better value.

Infiniti will now add more rear-seat legroom as well as launch a new marketing strategy that will promote the vehicle as a worthy alternative to a sedan and other crossovers. Consultations with the dealer network are being undertaken to figure out the best way to pitch the EX to a greater number of people, rather than the EX's original target of couples and singles seeking a crossover.

Since the vehicle was launched last year Infiniti has racked up just 10,289 sales – well short of the estimated 20,000-plus Infiniti was hoping for, reports Automotive News.

Infiniti had targeted the vehicle at single people, especially women. However, it found that most of the customers interested in it were families seeking space for their children in the back. Other midsize crossovers such as the Acura RDX feature more rear leg-room. The Acura RDX has around 9 inches more leg room than the EX, while the Lincoln MKX has over 10 inches more.

Additionally, Infiniti plans to add its ‘Around View Monitor’ feature to more EX trim packages. Previously the advanced camera system was only available on the upper level packages for the EX, but will now come standard.

Infiniti’s North American vice president of product planning stated that while sales were not as high as Infiniti had hoped, the changes planned for the EX should turn this situation around.

Old 10-13-08, 11:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The vehicle seems to be doing well in NYC.. There is an EX35 at almost every corner.. I guess it has to do with markets. You will seldom find an EX35 at every street corner of Nashville Tennesse, Boise Idaho and other non trendy cities of the country.
Old 10-13-08, 11:51 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why all cars that have poor sales are a big hit in UAE?
Old 10-13-08, 12:05 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not hard to see at all. There's very little compelling reason to get an EX over a G sedan which has better performance and, irony of ironies, more utility.
Old 10-13-08, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The EX35, IMO, is a very impressive vehicle.....I gave it very high marks overall in my recent review. However, it does have a moderately stiff ride, a rather cramped rear seat/cargo area, and restricted rear visibilty........apparantly, that is turning some people off.
Old 10-13-08, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The vehicle seems to be doing well in NYC.. There is an EX35 at almost every corner.. I guess it has to do with markets. You will seldom find an EX35 at every street corner of Nashville Tennesse, Boise Idaho and other non trendy cities of the country.

A lot of people in NYC have money. If you compare the EX35's interior to its own brother Nissan Rogue (which I suspect people are doing there), the Rogue is almost military-stark in comparison, so it's no surprise then, that it does better. But see my post above.....a lot of people seem to be put off as well by its ride and cramped rear quarters. A rough ride will definitely show up on NYC's awful streets.
Old 10-13-08, 12:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
That's not hard to see at all. There's very little compelling reason to get an EX over a G sedan which has better performance and, irony of ironies, more utility.
Ah...

Now, there's the rub...
Old 10-13-08, 12:50 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Infiniti shouldve just made what people wanted in the first place
something luxurious but with more cargo room and utility

instead of giving the world this mutant ninja turtle
Old 10-13-08, 12:57 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I haven't seen more than 5 of these things out in So Cal.
Old 10-13-08, 01:22 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
I haven't seen more than 5 of these things out in So Cal.
Really? I see them all over the San Fernando Valley and LA areas
Old 10-13-08, 01:32 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

The rear leg room on this thing is horrendous. I really don't know what the product planners were thinking.
Old 10-13-08, 01:37 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I've only seen 1 EX on the road, this is driving around OC, where luxury cars is the norm.
Old 10-13-08, 01:50 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kinda everywhere here too, like few days after it's announced, I saw one at work's parking lot.. ironically, next to a RDX
Old 10-13-08, 01:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Really? I see them all over the San Fernando Valley and LA areas
CA is just too big of a state
Old 10-13-08, 02:06 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i havent seen more than 5 either in san francisco, bay area.

i dislike the interior (like most infiniti models) and there isnt any reason to get it. loaded up, you can buy an RX which has more room and IMO is better looking

Quick Reply: Infiniti EX fail. Selling at 50% of forecast, updates to be made after only 1 year