Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should I Trade In My 98 Es300 For A 99 Bmw 5 Series? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 02:41 AM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Trade In My 98 Es300 For A 99 Bmw 5 Series? Thanks

Good Day,

I know this is a Lexus Forums and I love my Lexus and I'm sure most of you do but I need an honest opinion on this one. Thanks

I have had my 1998 Lexus ES300 for a little over a year and I love it. But.......
I want to upgrade, lol. I can't currently afford a brand new Lexus so I'm actually looking for something like an 02 Lexus ES because that's when they changed bodies. However, the dealership that i bought this Lexus from doesn't have any. This is the dealership i've bought my last 3 cars from and they've always been great with pricing and quality. So i'm a little complacent and not really wanting to go to another dealership. Since I wont be paying cash and have less than perfect credit I kind of want to stick with this dealership because they have low prices---if you put atleast $3,000 down. Anyways all he has in my price range and quality range is 2 1999 BMW 5 series. The mileage on the 2 are both around 140,000. I guess my concerns are maintenance. I love Lexus because you can possibly by some Toyota parts Lexus doesn't seem to have all those electrical problems as many of the other luxury cars. And maintenance on a Lexus is expensive but nowhere near as expensive as my friends Audi and another friends Range Rover. I'm not rich, so would you guys recommend me getting a 1999 BMW 5 series with 140k over my current 1998 Lexus with 155k? My Lexus still rides smooth, I haven't test drove the bmw but my dealer says it's great. I've heard the transmission on a 5 series bmw will never go out??? i had never heard that before, is it true? Is there alot of potential problems you could face getting into a BMW with 140k? I know friends with honda accords over 200k with original engines, same with Toyota's, Lexus, Acura's. But, i know a couple of people with Benz and Audi who've had crazy expensive problems before and barely after 100k. So with BMW 5 series are they cars that go over 200k without serious problems if maintained.

I know my friends with the audi, range rover, and benz all pay over $100 for their oil changes. With my Lexus ES300 i pay like regular price at most commercial big named auto stores. I usually pay $29.99 With BMW if i don't go to the dealership should i expect to pay over $100 for an oil change. How about little things like brakes and stuff....would i just be able to go to autozone and buy some decent brake pads for $59.99 or do i have to buy some special thing that cost hundreds. With a 99 BMW should i worry about all these electrical problems and things? What would you do, stick with my 98 Lexus ES300 or go with the 99 BMW 5series? I would be paying the same thing a month for my car note. What are the pros and cons? is it a better ride, etc.....
Old 10-15-08, 03:23 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*WARNING* I'm putting on my "Voice of Reason" hat on... */WARNING*

Originally Posted by idream08
I have had my 1998 Lexus ES300 for a little over a year and I love it.
You should keep it.

... have less than perfect credit
Wait and save up to get the Lexus you want.

I guess my concerns are maintenance.
Keep the ES 300 man.

I'm not rich, so would you guys recommend me getting a 1999 BMW 5 series with 140k over my current 1998 Lexus with 155k?
Nope. Honestly man, I think you should keep your car if your finances aren't built up.

My Lexus still rides smooth,
Keep the Lexus.

While the 1999 BMW 5 series car is a good car. Generally speaking, BMW cars cost more to fix when things go wrong. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that could go wrong with your ES is the common oil sludge problem and that supposedly only happens if you don't consistently change your engine oil. Other than that, it should run fine for years to come.

Good luck and welcome to the ClubLexus family.
Old 10-15-08, 03:49 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't test drove the bmw but my dealer says it's great.
LOL! You're kidding, right? Would they say anything else? Keep the Lex.
Old 10-15-08, 05:01 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I know its not apples to apples but my bro bought a 2000 M5 and EVERYTHING is crazy expensive on that car. Oil is $15/qt and special filter required, brakes forget it, no Autozone or Advanced parts there. BMW techs drive BMW's...go figure...lol.

Keep your money in this crazy economy and stick with what ya got.

BTW...does it strike you as odd that they have 2 BMW's and NO Lexus' on the lot? Maybe there is a reason.
Old 10-15-08, 07:09 AM
LexFather

Welcome to Clublexus, I am in GA as well. As they stated, in this situation, I would keep the 98 ES and maybe modify it, which can help the new car itch.

We are big BIG fans of the E39 5 series here, it is a superb car. That being said with 140k miles, I'd avoid quickly. BMWs are great when there is a warrenty or you simply have the time/patience/money for costly repairs, b/c even with an independent mechanic, they will be costly.

Buying a Lexus with 140k miles and a BMW with 140k miles are 2 very different buying experiences.

As for the car itself, outside quality, reliability and some features the ES has like electoluminicent gauges, the 5 series is superior in every other way. It should be it is the next class up and competes with the GS. They handle great, are built solidly and have more mod options than the ES.

The last thing is just wait until that dealer gets something you really want.

Old 10-15-08, 08:22 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... I've heard the transmission on a 5 series bmw will never go out??? i had never heard that before, is it true? Is there alot of potential problems you could face getting into a BMW with 140k?...
I assume you are talking about an automatic transmissions? If so, then that's one fat lie. BMW automatic transmissions on a 3-series last between 80-120k, about 100 - 150k on a 5-series and they fail like clockwork. I know of 4 people needing new transmissions, out of the 6 people I know with high-mileage BMWs. The transmission fix costs range from $4k - $7k. I don't know of any BMW owners with cars over 150k miles, so I can't comment of 200k+ reliability.

Also, expect electronics, waterpump, power steering to fail. The issue is that the failure usually costs a whole lot more than what Lexus would charge.

IMHO, if cost of ownership is the concern, I can't see the value of buying a used luxury car with high-mileage as a daily driver; I'd rather get a Toyota or Honda with less miles, lower cost of ownership.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-08, 08:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd never touch a BMW that's out of warranty...
Old 10-15-08, 09:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The inline 6 5 series Bimmers have less problems than the V8's.. When the time and money is right, look into an 00-01 BMW 328/330i's..They can be had for under 10k and are quite reliable believe it or not. You sound like a young man.. Sound advice... Do not jump into another vehicle unless you can afford to maintain and insure it regardless of make.. Keep what you have for now.. The cars will alway be there..
Old 10-15-08, 09:13 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I would never ever never ever touch any German cars with high mileage (^^^esp. out of warranty ) if you don't want to pay the expensive repairs.

I'll take any lexus over 100k in a heartbeat (granted if it's not neglected/abused).

Just b/c that these cars are diirt cheap won't mean that the service/parts will be also.

In other words like what everyone says, KEEP THE LEXUS and save those expensive maintenance for the rainy days or even a mini-vaction.
Old 10-15-08, 09:23 AM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

I have owned a 98 ES300 and currently driving a 98 528i

If you're thinking of buying a 5 series with 140k miles better check when the cooling system maintenance. That's the most common problem of the E39. It would cost you lots of money and headache getting it fixed.

E39 also has a subpar stereo system. If the car you're planning to buy doesn't have DSP, forget about it.

Also, the resale value of the BMW with high miles is terrible.

All that aside, the E39 is a Man's car. I love the car. Best car i've ever owned.

Dont get me wrong, my wife drives a ES300. But everytime I see it, it always reminds me that its a glorified V6 camry. Sorry.
Old 10-15-08, 10:46 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 03 BMW 530I with 29K, and a 99 GS400 with 60K at the same time, I sold the BMW and kept my GS. I rather have a higher mile Lex than low mile BMW.

Reading what you worried about from the post, you are not ready for a BMW yet,

KEEP THE ES.
Old 10-15-08, 10:53 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

if you really want a beemer, how about a 3 series, i can't really think off anything that would go wrong with it
Old 10-15-08, 12:38 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

As others have mentioned, maintenance can be an issue, but the e39 5-series is pretty reliable minus the cooling system.

If you think you can DIY a radiator swap, the car should be ok, but it does have 140K on it already--and that's where I see a lot of e39s coming into the market--I'm also willing to bet that the owners get rid of it due to an increasing number of problems once the car hits that "age"

I'd keep the ES.
Old 10-15-08, 12:52 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 99 and 2000 bmw 5 series are notoriously the WORST model years to buy, including some 2001's. Head gasket problems, transmission problems, electrical problems, the list goes on.

hold on to the es you won't regret the decision when you're pulling that 07 lexus off the lot in a couple years.
Old 10-15-08, 01:44 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You should hold onto your cash until your income increases to the point where it justifies making such a purchase.

Quick Reply: Should I Trade In My 98 Es300 For A 99 Bmw 5 Series? Thanks