Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R tranny discussion/launch control

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 11:25 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^ you guys are looking at it in black and white.

bit was looking at the shades of grey.

IF what Nissan says is this "1st time you use launch control and tranny blows. You have to pay for it." then that is total BS.

IF Nissan meant if you use launch control every 10 seconds because you wanna blow that supercharged mustang at every red light or just show it off to your friends and the tranny blows then you have to pay for it? sounds a little unfair for the company, no?

just like bit said, just because I could take my car to redline with my paddle shifters and leave it there all day doesn't mean if the radiator blows and engine dies doesn't mean the company has to fix everything.

that'd be kinda MY fault, no?

Yes, Nissan made an imperfect vehicle. Can you name one that is perfect in every single way? (Question is rhetorical meaning you don't have to answer that because everyone already knows the answer.)
Old 10-15-08, 11:31 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
Last I checked, revving the engine to redline isn't a "feature" provided by the manufacture but the Launch Control actually is...

Launch Control is a feature to the car just like the ETC PWR button on my IS350. I would be pissed if I see somewhere in the owners' manual saying that I can't use that feature whenever I want to.

Don't get me wrong, I think that GT-R owner should pay for the tranny because he agreed to Nissan's terms when he signed those documents. However, that still doesn't make Nissan's business practice right and fair to their customer... that's what I am arguing about here.
So redline is not a "feature" of the engine? Why not do a cut-off a redline then to limit it so you can't go there but instead let the customer rev the snot out of it?

As far as LC, from what i gathered at reading about 6-7 pages (too much misinformation and speculation on that thread), the cause of voiding was VDC off, not necessarily LC. It was the OP who indicated about launching (and thus incriminating himself already), so I'm not sure or how LC got into this disucssion....
Old 10-15-08, 11:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
Personaly it pisses me off, I want to here youre guy's opinions on this.
A non-modified car should be able to handle itself within its limits for the life of the warranty.

If Nissan is so concerned about the car's fragility, they should detune the GT-R with less horsepower, a lower redline, and claim less that what they actually offer.

Note to Nissan : if the GT-R has issues, give it a different warranty program, and don't treat your customers like fools...
Old 10-15-08, 11:41 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Please give me the link, I want to see the proof. If it is true and to all GT-R owners, then it is a bad move for Nissan. They should not make something and put it on the car but don't allow people to use it or limit the number of using it. Nissan needs to rectify this problem fast.
Old 10-15-08, 12:00 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Dear Mr. Honda,
To get all the hp down to the pavement and get the quickest time possible, I normally dump the clutch @ 7000RPM. I am not sure why but my clutch is now fried and my LSD is now shot. Are these covered under the warranty?
Thanks.
From Mr. Honda.

Dear Idiot,
Go F#$* yourself.
Old 10-15-08, 12:03 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've been in this discussion on another board and the only thing i want to bring up is this: anybody who buys a car such as the gtr knowing it's extreme levels of power and grip who decides that they can use launch control or turn off vdc and abuse the drivetrain repeatedly should be made responsible for the abuse.

there's a difference between using a feature with good judgement and abusing it with stupidity.
any "car enthusiast" should know that the combined power, grip and weight of such a vehicle will put EXTREME stress on the driveline every time it's launched/raced/whatever. big power with heavy weight and lots of grip equals disaster in the driveline if abused. yes it's built to handle it, but not every day, all day, at every stop light, etc. there has to be some common sense. these are just mechanical devices, they all have weaknesses; a mechanical device WILL fail if abused enough times.

i dont know the details of the actual even but i'm sure that being on an enthusiast board, the owner was playing with the car and just exceeded it's limitations by overdoing it.
Old 10-15-08, 12:06 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

The E46 M3 SMG also has the launch control. It only allows so many attempts then shut down and will not allow you to do it anymore. It's pretty obvious why they do this..

Last edited by newr; 10-15-08 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 12:23 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When Nissan provided a feature on their car (this case the Launch Control on the GT-R) that feature should be meant for the owners to USE regardless how often and why... No?

I wouldn't call that "trashing their cars".

When I paid $80k (probably more with the markeup) for a car I intended to be able to use EVERY feature on that car WHENEVER I WANT TO (granted if I track the car I would get the tracking insurance) and expect the manufacture to stand behind its products within the warranty period.

Is that too much to ask for these days?
let me ask you a question. why would you be using launch control in the first place?

TO DRIVE THE CAR HARD.

if you're driving normally, you don't need launch control. if you're beating on it to the point where it would lose traction off the line, you do.

however, driver negligence is not covered under warranties. So, if you hang your car off the limiter in neutral, blow the engine, and take it to the dealer, they will know that you just beat the hell out of it, and they aren't going to warranty for your stupidity.

if it had been a fault with the launch control, IE not completely engaging/disengaging the gear properly causing grinding or what have you, then yes they will fix it.

its common sense. the way you're talking we should all just go out, buy cars with warranties and beat the hell out of them however we want because hell, the manufacturer should be responsible for repairing what we break by being retards.

i agree 20k is steep for a tranny/replacement, but to all other points of your argument about the warranty,
Old 10-15-08, 12:27 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Oh come on people this is single incident by some guy that launched his car over 20 times before even brakin in the car. Case is explained in detail on NAGTROC.
Old 10-15-08, 12:36 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

1. I would think so because personally I haven't heard anything like this from the Porsche camp yet. If you have some other evidences then please provide.

2. Why put something (launch control...) on the car when it is not "allowed" to use it frequently? WHAT IS THE EFFING POINT!! To Nissan: You can't have the cake and eat it too (want to brag about the car but wouldn't stand behind it).
Watch closely what happens with PDK that actually features launch control.

Every car that features launch control HAVE risk of something going bad. It is explained in the manual! Take a look at Ferrari manual regarding launch control; They also dont cover anything that went bad while car was in launch mode. As a matter of fact their supercar Enzo can be launched only 3 to 5 times to get advertised acceleration times and than clutch goes bad. Its not covered under warranty.
Old 10-15-08, 01:17 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Old 10-15-08, 01:25 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
A non-modified car should be able to handle itself within its limits for the life of the warranty.

If Nissan is so concerned about the car's fragility, they should detune the GT-R with less horsepower, a lower redline, and claim less that what they actually offer.

Note to Nissan : if the GT-R has issues, give it a different warranty program, and don't treat your customers like fools...
Exactly what I was trying to say...

Bottom line is that Nissan can't have the cake and eat it too.

Instead of stating that the GT-R can do 0-60 in 3.X seconds this is what Nissan should state: The Nissan GT-R is able to achieve 60 mph from dead stop in 3.X seconds only several times in your life...
Old 10-15-08, 01:35 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Im curious, just how "widespread" of a problem is this? Ive not followed this car much and this is the first I've read of this "problem." I find it hard to believe this is going to be a widespread epidemic affecting all GT-Rs; Id be willing to bet there are going to be more incidents of people wrapping there GT-R around a tree than people having their tranny blow and have their warranty voided.

ANY car that gets driven, doesnt even have to be driven hard, has a risk of things breaking on it - as stated before no car is perfect and we all know this. If a manufacturer truly wants to be safe and not "fair" about their cars capabilities and warranty perhaps they should supply you with a car cover, magazine review of what you can CAN/can't do and disclose that it's probably best for the car if you just cover it and leave it in the garage as you will not break anything nor will you risk voiding your warranty.

Last edited by 92 SC400; 10-15-08 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 02:34 PM
LexFather

I believe this is only the first time it has happened. The GT-R is one of those cars that no matter what it does, people cannot wait to jump down its throat.

We all know how people can sometimes make up things on the internet with their story. I won't make a verdict with the OP or NIssan. I will wait and see if more tranny failures happen.

Old 10-15-08, 02:49 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe this is only the first time it has happened. The GT-R is one of those cars that no matter what it does, people cannot wait to jump down its throat.

We all know how people can sometimes make up things on the internet with their story. I won't make a verdict with the OP or NIssan. I will wait and see if more tranny failures happen.
Agreed. Let's see how common this issue is. If this is an individual incident, I don't see the point of discussing it. By the way, that owner should have read the manual before doing that so frequently.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 10-15-08 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: GT-R tranny discussion/launch control