Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R tranny discussion/launch control

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 02:56 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
Exactly what I was trying to say...

Bottom line is that Nissan can't have the cake and eat it too.

Instead of stating that the GT-R can do 0-60 in 3.X seconds this is what Nissan should state: The Nissan GT-R is able to achieve 60 mph from dead stop in 3.X seconds only several times in your life...
Have you even read the specifics of that thread in regards to LC and VDC, or were you just reading the article of the blog?
Old 10-15-08, 03:03 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
let me ask you a question. why would you be using launch control in the first place?

TO DRIVE THE CAR HARD.

if you're driving normally, you don't need launch control. if you're beating on it to the point where it would lose traction off the line, you do.

however, driver negligence is not covered under warranties. So, if you hang your car off the limiter in neutral, blow the engine, and take it to the dealer, they will know that you just beat the hell out of it, and they aren't going to warranty for your stupidity.

if it had been a fault with the launch control, IE not completely engaging/disengaging the gear properly causing grinding or what have you, then yes they will fix it.

its common sense. the way you're talking we should all just go out, buy cars with warranties and beat the hell out of them however we want because hell, the manufacturer should be responsible for repairing what we break by being retards.

i agree 20k is steep for a tranny/replacement, but to all other points of your argument about the warranty,
Make sense to me. Warranty is only for normal use. If I drive the car normally, not treating it like a race car every day, and something goes wrong, then that parts should be covered under warranty within a certain years. But in this case, the owner obviously beat on the car excessively, then I guess Nissan has a point of voiding the warranty. I still don't think this is a widespread issue.
Old 10-15-08, 03:06 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe this is only the first time it has happened. The GT-R is one of those cars that no matter what it does, people cannot wait to jump down its throat.
Yup. GTR is the most hated car I've ever seen on the internet.

It's such an amazing car for what it is. I can't believe people are saying, "This totally **** me off" etc. I can understand if they own one. But they actually don't and I am not sure why they are complaining.
Old 10-15-08, 03:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
So you think Porsche would warranty this if you did the same thing on a 911 Turbo?
Porsche on the 991 Turbo offers an "overboost" function which is part of the Sport package. It ups the turbo boost which raises torque above 500 lb-ft temporarily for 10 seconds.

What Nissan is doing would be the same thing if Porsche voided the warranty on any 991T where the owner used the "overboost" function.

A lot of people, myself included, respect the performance the GT-R offers, as well as the value it offers in terms of performance, but what Nissan is doing is rather silly.

Nissan is pretty much telling owners that they can't use certain features of the GT-R, or that they can't use it's full potential otherwise the warranty will be voided.

Porsche does not engage in any such sillyness with the 991T.

Why do you think Porsche takes a long time when coming out with new models? It's because of their legendary durability and reliability, which is rooted in endurance racing. Porsche takes a long time testing models to ensure reliability. That is the main reason the Panamera is taking so long to come out.

Nissan spent quite a bit of time testing the GT-R as well, but it looks like the transmission wasn't built to handle the full power of the engine.
Old 10-15-08, 03:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Furthermore, if Nissan does not want owners using launch control, then they should have never offered it in the first place. If Nissan wants to allow the feature, but is worried about warranty claims, then it should have implemented a shut-down or safety feature on the launch control, like other automakers have done in performance vehicles.

Either way, Nissan messed up in this case.

As for those who are comparing this to "dropping the clutch at 7K RPM on a Honda", I'm sorry but it's not the same thing.

Nissan actually advertises using the launch control in order to get the best 0-60 times for the GT-R.
Old 10-15-08, 03:22 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe Porsche should try to duplicate these results instead of the Ring time and then they can have something to knock Nissan about... haha

Seriously though, if this were really such an issue I am surprised it was not caught by any of the magazines seeing how there have been a few tests already.
Old 10-15-08, 03:27 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Furthermore, if Nissan does not want owners using launch control, then they should have never offered it in the first place. If Nissan wants to allow the feature, but is worried about warranty claims, then it should have implemented a shut-down or safety feature on the launch control, like other automakers have done in performance vehicles.

As for those who are comparing this to "dropping the clutch at 7K RPM on a Honda", I'm sorry but it's not the same thing.

Nissan actually advertises using the launch control in order to get the best 0-60 times for the GT-R.
Can't say it any better myself.

That was the whole point of my arguement...
Old 10-15-08, 05:18 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this is the original thread of the broken GTR

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361
Old 10-15-08, 06:07 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

This is BS.

Not for the reason Nissan didn't cover it, but for the reason that dealers use it to show off or for test drives etc.

If I want to buy a GTR I would tell them to fly a tech in from Japan and show me the one I am getting have not been abused. EVER.
Old 10-15-08, 06:47 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

are you not reading at all? this is not exclusive to the GTRs launch control BMW's SMG on the m3's with launch control also has the same type of thing, it only allows you to use launch control 3 or so times in a row before it locks you out.

and yes, they advertise using the LC for best 0-60 times, but if you're trying for 0-60 times up and down the road many times in a row, you don't deserve to be driving a good performance car anyways. don't drive the thing like a 5 year old on speed and it will last you a long time.

obviously now because of impulsive useless human beings with the same mindset that you and ffpower have, nissan will have to implement a lockout function. I guess they just trusted you people too much to begin with
Old 10-15-08, 07:23 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All previous GT-Rs>R35
Old 10-15-08, 08:02 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

The guy who started all of this on NAGTROC launched his car multiple times repeatedly (20 + if I am mistaking), his tranny goes out, Nissan finds of how the car was used and they refused to cover it. If you read his early posts and up until now, you can tell the guy is not being honest. in the beginning he bragged how the car and its LC system is amazing, but when the problem occurred due to misuse he went on attack mode, and flaming the car and the manufacturer.

I own a GTR. I have nothing but good things to say about the car, I do track it but I don;t drag it or launch it and to be quite honest, drag is not what this car is built for. If 0-60 is all you care about, this car isn't for you.

anyway, its sad that the car and the manufacturer is criticized due to some immature people out there.
Old 10-15-08, 08:03 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
Porsche's and Nissan's clientele are one in the same. Anyone with those amounts of disposable income would be able to fix the transmission. That is not the point. The point is over the features.
Umm... Deffinately don't agree with you there.
Originally Posted by STIG
Yup. GTR is the most hated car I've ever seen on the internet.

It's such an amazing car for what it is. I can't believe people are saying, "This totally **** me off" etc. I can understand if they own one. But they actually don't and I am not sure why they are complaining.
What is so amazing about it? What... it goes fast... That is the only thing it has going for it, to me that does not make it amazing. I have had a fair bit of time driving the new GTR now and it already is showing some aging after only a few months.

And why is it hated so much I wonder? B/c people who don't have a clue and have read the latest article in their favorite car mag proclaims it to be the best car ever b/c of a few stats.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe this is only the first time it has happened. The GT-R is one of those cars that no matter what it does, people cannot wait to jump down its throat.
It has happened a few times over that I am aware of.

Ah well... Like I said from the begining, people will eventually see its shortcommings. It is not the car everyone is making it out to be and a lot of people here have realized it to.
Old 10-15-08, 08:13 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Umm...
What is so amazing about it? What... it goes fast... That is the only thing it has going for it, to me that does not make it amazing. I have had a fair bit of time driving the new GTR now and it already is showing some aging after only a few months.

And why is it hated so much I wonder? B/c people who don't have a clue and have read the latest article in their favorite car mag proclaims it to be the best car ever b/c of a few stats.

you know, I have been reading your posts in other GTR related threads, you have constantly criticized a car, some of your posts are so full of it, its almost as if you are paid to do it,

but anyway back to your point you made, in bold above, I want to believe you but again, judging from you replies, I can't, so to prove your point just tell me how do you open GTR's door? I mean how does the door **** operate. If you can answer it, I will shut up.
Old 10-15-08, 08:25 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I guess you just have an axe to grind against Nissan or the GT-R.

People can and DO abuse features of cars and warranty claims get turned down all the time.

A car has a red line too but that doesn't mean it can legitimately be driven at red line all day long and not have the engine fail and then have the owner expect it to be covered under warranty.

Some people choose to thrash their cars, and dealers have every right to say you broke it, you pay to fix it.
Its a FEATURE on the car. It'd be like Lexus telling you if you turn Traction Control off in the IS-F and the differential breaks, you have a voided warranty. I hope Nissan is getting sued over this.

The bottom line is, if Nissan can't get a transmission built to handle the power (they never have been able to yet), then they don't need to be putting Launch control on the car. It should be a dealer-installed option that voids the warranty of your car once you install it. Its not even about the money, its the principle. MOST people that have that kind of disposable income (that decide not to buy the TT Porsche, F430, or Gallardo - even though they can afford it) understand the value of the money that the dealer is basically stealing from them.

Though there are some rich-boys (many on this forum) that have had everything handed to them and wouldn't care much. Hell, its only 20k right? I could fund GRAD school with that kind of money for a YEAR.

People jump down the GTRs throat because there are so many fanboys that won't shut up about it. Is it the chicken or the egg first? It was likely fanboys of the Playstation version of the R34 who kept hyping it up like it was the greatest car ever made. Which invited a lot of people to react in a negative way, myself included. I see nothing special about an overpriced boat that requires 'tweaking' from the factory floor to make it run the numbers the manufacturer claimed. (Let's be REAL here, the stock R35s are NOT running 124mph traps, more like 115) Is it a great car? Hell yeah, its awesome. Is it the second coming of Christ? Maybe the second coming of Godzilla, but I see no beard or water-walking. But I also dont see the car being NEARLY as groundbreaking as the original R32 was. Not even close. There's nearly a 1000lb weight difference between the two cars. I'd take $15k cash and a bone stock R32 in a heartbeat over an R35.

Last edited by Bean; 10-15-08 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: GT-R tranny discussion/launch control