Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R tranny discussion/launch control

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 08:33 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Umm... Deffinately don't agree with you there.
What is so amazing about it? What... it goes fast... That is the only thing it has going for it, to me that does not make it amazing. I have had a fair bit of time driving the new GTR now and it already is showing some aging after only a few months.

And why is it hated so much I wonder? B/c people who don't have a clue and have read the latest article in their favorite car mag proclaims it to be the best car ever b/c of a few stats.

It has happened a few times over that I am aware of.

Ah well... Like I said from the begining, people will eventually see its shortcommings. It is not the car everyone is making it out to be and a lot of people here have realized it to.
What is all this hatred about? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Keep talking negative things about anything is really unhealthy man. Even if Nissan GT-R has flaws, does it instantaneously make it a bad car? It is still one of the best sports cars out there. Remember, this is the first production year for this car, and it is not the only first model year vehicle to have issues, BMW has it, Honda has it, Lexus has it, everybody has it. And also, we still don't know what actually this particular owner did to his car. I am sure Nissan knows more than we do. So stop putting down conclusion prematurely.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 10-15-08 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 09:07 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Well here it is. So you guys are saying to use launch control you have to have the vdc off? Well if that's the case then Nissan is stupid for offering the launch control or they are geniuses knowing that almost all GTR owners have now voided there warranties.

Last edited by lexmenow; 10-15-08 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 09:15 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

What Nissan is doing would be the same thing if Porsche voided the warranty on any 991T where the owner used the "overboost" function.
Except Nissan doesn't officially offer any launch control feature. And the manual already states turning off traction control voids the warranty.

Why do you think Porsche takes a long time when coming out with new models? It's because of their legendary durability and reliability, which is rooted in endurance racing. Porsche takes a long time testing models to ensure reliability.
umm no, quite a few 996's lost engines due to faulty design

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...tistics%20here!

the 997 is nothing more then an updated 996. Every major component is merely revised. Let Porsche introduce a new chassis, motor, drivetrain and I'd like to see it perform flawlessly.

If you choose to abuse your car then you'll have to accept the consequences this isn't Nissan's responsibility.
Old 10-15-08, 09:31 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
you know, I have been reading your posts in other GTR related threads, you have constantly criticized a car, some of your posts are so full of it, its almost as if you are paid to do it,

but anyway back to your point you made, in bold above, I want to believe you but again, judging from you replies, I can't, so to prove your point just tell me how do you open GTR's door? I mean how does the door **** operate. If you can answer it, I will shut up.
Blah, blah, blah... I get paid well to critize it too... I think it works out to be about $5 a word.

Just hummor you, you push the side with the little bumps with a single finger or your thumb and the the lever opens out and then you grab the lever with your other hand and pull back towards the rear of the car and pop the door opens.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
What is all this hatred about? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Keep talking negative things about anything is really unhealthy man. Even if Nissan GT-R has flaws, does it instantaneously make it a bad car? It is still one of the best sports cars out there. Remember, this is the first production year for this car, and it is not the only first model year vehicle to have issues, BMW has it, Honda has it, Lexus has it, everybody has it. And also, we still don't know what actually this particular owner did to his car. I am sure Nissan knows more than we do. So stop putting down conclusion prematurely.
Interesting, we come to car forum to disscuss cars ,but you are not allowed to say negative things about a car??? Sure there are plenty of threads on the GTR and I have replied to a few of them , but it is to show another perspective that most people have not seen. Also my oppinion is shared by a few people that I know here in Japan too, not everyone of corse b/c there will always the GTR fans.

My oppinion won't change unless Nissan do a lot of changes to the GTR in the near future and what everyone is saying that now I have voiced my oppinion so I should not reply to anymore GTR threads, even if they are made by different people? B/c people don't want to hear any negativity about the GTR?

Last edited by Dave600hL; 10-15-08 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 09:42 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

And why is it hated so much I wonder? B/c people who don't have a clue and have read the latest article in their favorite car mag proclaims it to be the best car ever b/c of a few stats.
I am really holding back here Dave600hl. This is not the first time you attacked me as a clueless internet driver who just reads the magazines and talk trash on the internet.

I get it. You hate GTR. Get over it. I hate Pontiac Aztak, too. I don't go around on the Pontiac owner club and tell them I hate their cars.

I really hope that you are enjoying your car you listed in your signature. Care to show some pictures all of them together?
Old 10-15-08, 09:48 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
I am really holding back here Dave600hl. This is not the first time you attacked me as a clueless internet driver who just reads the magazines and talk trash on the internet.

I get it. You hate GTR. Get over it. I hate Pontiac Aztak, too. I don't go around on the Pontiac owner club and tell them I hate their cars.

I really hope that you are enjoying your car you listed in your signature. Care to show some pictures all of them together?
I was not even dirrecting that at you... And I thought this was a Lexus forum not a GTR forum? I am not going over to the GTR forums and saying any negatives, that would be just asking for trouble.

Sure, I will get some pics for you this weekend , anything you want me to do to show you they are mine?

Last edited by Dave600hL; 10-15-08 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 09:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
are you not reading at all? this is not exclusive to the GTRs launch control BMW's SMG on the m3's with launch control also has the same type of thing, it only allows you to use launch control 3 or so times in a row before it locks you out.

and yes, they advertise using the LC for best 0-60 times, but if you're trying for 0-60 times up and down the road many times in a row, you don't deserve to be driving a good performance car anyways. don't drive the thing like a 5 year old on speed and it will last you a long time.

obviously now because of impulsive useless human beings with the same mindset that you and ffpower have, nissan will have to implement a lockout function. I guess they just trusted you people too much to begin with
And did you not fully read what I said? Other automakers offer a shut-down feature on their launch control. You just proved my point; the launch control on the M3 locks you out after several times, the launch control on the GT-R does NOT.

It's quite obvious Nissan is worried about this, since Nissan has officially stated that using the launch control more than a few times could damage the transmission.

As I said earlier, Nissan should have offered a lock-out, or shut down feature for the launch control, or they should have built a stronger transmission.

It doesn't matter how many times people do or don't use the launch control on the GT-R, what matters is the principle of the matter. Launch control on the GT-R is an ADVERTISED feature of the vehicle, and Nissan is pretty much saying you can use it, but only a few times, or the transmission will get messed up.

If there are too many people abusing GT-Rs, then Nissan should STOP advertising launch control.

Also, for your information, during a test session in Japan for the GT-R, Nissan told several professional testers that work for various mags and publications not to use the launch control more than few times. These were not silly people abusing the car, or just kids as you put it, these were professional testers trying to push the limit of the car, and Nissan pretty much warned them against pushing the car too hard.

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Well here it is. So you guys are saying to use launch control you have to have the vdc off? Well if that's the case then Nissan is stupid for offering the launch control or they are geniuses knowing that almost all GTR owners have now voided there warranties.
If that is the case, then yes Nissan is stupid for offering it, advertising, or just talking about a launch control function/feature.

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Except Nissan doesn't officially offer any launch control feature. And the manual already states turning off traction control voids the warranty.
Except Nissan has advertised and talked about a so-called "launch control" feature for achieving the best 0-60 times with the car, regardless of whether this feature is "official" or not.

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
umm no, quite a few 996's lost engines due to faulty design

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t... istics%20here!

the 997 is nothing more then an updated 996. Every major component is merely revised. Let Porsche introduce a new chassis, motor, drivetrain and I'd like to see it perform flawlessly.

If you choose to abuse your car then you'll have to accept the consequences this isn't Nissan's responsibility.
Except ... you're incorrect about the 997 being just an "updated 996". The 997 shares less than a third of it's parts with the 996.

Looking at the 997 Turbo specifically, while the engine is very similar to the 996 Turbo, the 997 Turbo uses new turbos with variable turbine geometry, plus it uses a different oil system compared to the 996.

I never said Porsche reliability was perfect, which seems to be what you're implying I said, but that it's very good. Problems with certain 996 engines does not suddenly mean ALL Porsches have engine problems.

By your logic then, professional testers who test the GT-R must "accept the consequences" too, when they try and push the GT-R to the limit?

It certainly *IS* Nissan's responsibility for talking about such a feature, or warning against using it. Merely by virtue of warning against it, Nissan admits to the existence of such a feature.
Old 10-15-08, 10:03 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

If there are too many people abusing GT-Rs, then Nissan should STOP advertising launch control.

Nissan never advertised the launch control feature. In fact, Nissan never even officially mentioned about the launch control.
Old 10-15-08, 10:25 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

By your logic then, professional testers who test the GT-R must "accept the consequences" too, when they try and push the GT-R to the limit?
So far those driving the car with VDC enabled have broken nothing. Those who choose to disable the VDC are told by Nissan doing so voids the warranty. And not one professional tester has suffered any sort of mechanical failure.

And as far as the VTG goes it doesn't even work. The GTR has less lag then either the 997TT or GT2 and the Porsche tuners who took a look at it and said their aftermarket turbos pump out more ponies with less lag. I'd take Nissan's system any day over Porsche's poorly developed design.

It certainly *IS* Nissan's responsibility for talking about such a feature, or warning against using it. Merely by virtue of warning against it, Nissan admits to the existence of such a feature.
Nissan never warned against using the launch control feature, all they said is not to turn off the VDC.

This reminds me of the Tundra camshaft issue, Toyota reports 20 Tundras have engine failures and all the Toyota haters gather around posting all over the internet about how the Tundra is unreliable and inferior to the domestics.

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 10-15-08 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-15-08, 10:39 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

The GTR is a great car. But all that maintenance and warranty issues would definately stop me from getting one even if I had the money. Maintanance itself seems a hell of alot higher in the GTR than other cars like the Z06, GT3, etc.

Here are a few funny pics being passed around from forum to forum

Old 10-15-08, 10:45 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you take your porsche to the track, it voids warranty...
Old 10-15-08, 11:42 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
you take your porsche to the track, it voids warranty...
yes porsche void warrenty too! when you take your car to dealer they do check data like operating hour, how many time you overev the car etc before they honor any mechancial warrenty work.. few years ago i took my 996tt for maintaince on way there i drove the car a little too hard cause some wheels spin in 1st and 2nd yes i know i overev the car.. guess what i got a call from the tech later in the day told me i just had a type 2 overev and told me it happen exectly 15 mins before i took the car in. I was told If my car broke porsche will not pay to fix it! After that time i know not to mess around in my TT i was quote 30k for motor from Porsche and yes dealer know what i did to the car and exectly when it happen
Old 10-16-08, 12:42 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Interesting, we come to car forum to disscuss cars ,but you are not allowed to say negative things about a car??? Sure there are plenty of threads on the GTR and I have replied to a few of them , but it is to show another perspective that most people have not seen. Also my oppinion is shared by a few people that I know here in Japan too, not everyone of corse b/c there will always the GTR fans.

My oppinion won't change unless Nissan do a lot of changes to the GTR in the near future and what everyone is saying that now I have voiced my oppinion so I should not reply to anymore GTR threads, even if they are made by different people? B/c people don't want to hear any negativity about the GTR?

I am not saying you can't do it, because I have no right to stop anyone to keep criticizing anything. I am saying it is unhealthy. I realized that many GT-R haters are using magnifying glasses to look at GT-R and Nissan to see if they could find any possible flaws that this car has and any faulty ways Nissan mistreat a certain GT-R owners. Once they found it they are like "hey here it is on the web, this dude blew his R35's tranny, Nissan voided his car's warranty man, tell the whole world man, hurry hurry....." Now this is hatred or at least bias, not simply car discussion.
Sure no car is perfect in all people's eyes. Many cars that people dream of don't attract me at all, such as M-B CLS and BMW M6, so what? But you don't see me keep criticizing them and telling people they suck as if I want to convince people not to buy them. GT-R is not good to you, but don't sound it like it is a fact. Because it is indeed a very good car, a good super car in fact, this is undeniable. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is no good, think about it.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 10-16-08 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 12:45 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skater
The GTR is a great car. But all that maintenance and warranty issues would definately stop me from getting one even if I had the money. Maintanance itself seems a hell of alot higher in the GTR than other cars like the Z06, GT3, etc.

Here are a few funny pics being passed around from forum to forum

These pictures are very creative, that I admit.
Old 10-16-08, 07:14 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG

Here you go pal... I just got home from work and it is 11pm and I thought I should get these pics posted so you don't loose any sleep and they are on a 1Ds MKIII and I left the EXIF intact so you can check when the pics were taken and that the exposure on both pics were 30 sec. Just keep on holding back hey... oh, and BTW I love the 600hL. Any particular way you want the cars shot together, just tell me what you want and I will arrange it for you? How about registration certificates?

Weakass doubter.

Last edited by Dave600hL; 10-16-08 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: GT-R tranny discussion/launch control