Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R tranny discussion/launch control

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 07:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Weakass doubter.
OK, enough with that. Very nice cars. Point made. Take any further debate to PM.
Old 10-16-08, 07:37 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
OK, enough with that. Very nice cars. Point made. Take any further debate to PM.
Sorry. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 10-16-08, 07:59 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go pal... I just got home from work and it is 11pm and I thought I should get these pics posted so you don't loose any sleep and they are on a 1Ds MKIII and I left the EXIF intact so you can check when the pics were taken and that the exposure on both pics were 30 sec. Just keep on holding back hey... oh, and BTW I love the 600hL. Any particular way you want the cars shot together, just tell me what you want and I will arrange it for you? How about registration certificates?

Weakass doubter.

Nice car!! Sorry I just have to point it out your Altezza is not a Gita 3000cc model AS300 (IS300 sportcross in US) It is a 4 door 2000cc 4cyl model and I don't think they have 3.0 liter 4 door altezza available in Japan..? You might want to change your signature so people don't get confuse
Old 10-16-08, 08:19 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by splitfire
Nice car!! Sorry I just have to point it out your Altezza is not a Gita 3000cc model AS300 (IS300 sportcross in US) It is a 4 door 2000cc 4cyl model and I don't think they have 3.0 liter 4 door altezza available in Japan..? You might want to change your signature so people don't get confuse
You would be completely correct, except the engine has been swapped and now has a 3000cc. So you are right and that is why I put down 3000cc in my sig and not AS200.
Old 10-16-08, 08:31 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This topic is popping up on every site I visit. What's the big deal. History with the G35 tells me Nissan was going to put out a car that appears impressive but cost cutting measures would have to worked out over time. Plus, almost any new model would have issues here and there. Okay, so the tranny needs work. What's Nissan supposed to do, let everyone keep tearing them up? They could do a recall. Let's give them time before we vilify them. It's a new car! WHo has been perfect these days? No one.
Old 10-16-08, 07:18 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not even dirrecting that at you... And I thought this was a Lexus forum not a GTR forum? I am not going over to the GTR forums and saying any negatives, that would be just asking for trouble.

Sure, I will get some pics for you this weekend , anything you want me to do to show you they are mine?
no but you flame away at the gt-r at every chance you get here.
Old 10-16-08, 11:03 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shyguy16
no but you flame away at the gt-r at every chance you get here.
What a joke, of all the GTR threads that have been going around I have posted in maybe 4 or 5 threads. I can't believe people can be so deeply hurt after I share my experiences with the car. I thought that is what a car forum was for to share your experience, if not what is the point. Anyway I am not going to say another word about the GTR b/c I it is just not worth the crap I keep getting. There nothing in it for me to say what I experienced, and all I have been doing is giving another point of view from Japan as I am not completely alone in what I have been saying. but anyway... I bet if I have posted negatively the same amount of times on another car no would even lift an eyebrow.

This really reminds me of grade school, show me some proof of the cars in your sig... show me some proof you have driven a GTR... What will it be next, show me some proof I live in Japan.

Maybe CL is not for me? Or maybe I am not for CL? and I do love all the great info that is here, it is a shame really. I hope I didn't offend anyone... I will know better in the future, experiences should not be posted in multiple threads.
Old 10-17-08, 08:02 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a joke, of all the GTR threads that have been going around I have posted in maybe 4 or 5 threads. I can't believe people can be so deeply hurt after I share my experiences with the car. I thought that is what a car forum was for to share your experience, if not what is the point. Anyway I am not going to say another word about the GTR b/c I it is just not worth the crap I keep getting. There nothing in it for me to say what I experienced, and all I have been doing is giving another point of view from Japan as I am not completely alone in what I have been saying. but anyway... I bet if I have posted negatively the same amount of times on another car no would even lift an eyebrow.

This really reminds me of grade school, show me some proof of the cars in your sig... show me some proof you have driven a GTR... What will it be next, show me some proof I live in Japan.

Maybe CL is not for me? Or maybe I am not for CL? and I do love all the great info that is here, it is a shame really. I hope I didn't offend anyone... I will know better in the future, experiences should not be posted in multiple threads.
Chill out dude. Everyone is not going to like you so don't even try to please everyone or be overly concerned.
However, I don't know what's going on but if several people are calling you out, there may be something in your communication style you want to look at. I don't know....all I know is never let them see you sweat. Chill!
Old 10-17-08, 08:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

No more posts about the member(s) posting here, they will be removed from this point. Let's get back to the original topic.
Old 10-17-08, 08:51 AM
LexFather

Here you go pal...

Nice, nice nice!!

Old 10-17-08, 02:46 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Wat you paid is wat you get.
Old 10-17-08, 03:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Weakass doubter.
Thanks for the compliment.

Very nice cars, Dave.

Any reason why you didn't chose M3 over IS-F?
Old 10-17-08, 04:50 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
Thanks for the compliment.

Very nice cars, Dave.

Any reason why you didn't chose M3 over IS-F?
Sorry, I had a bad day.

The quality of build of Lexus over BMW, sure the M3 goes better around corners but I am no race driver.
Old 10-17-08, 05:48 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, I had a bad day.

The quality of build of Lexus over BMW, sure the M3 goes better around corners but I am no race driver.
No worries. We all have bad days here and there.

I hope you get your IS-F soon enough.
Old 10-17-08, 05:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
Nissan never advertised the launch control feature. In fact, Nissan never even officially mentioned about the launch control.
Nissan officially warns against turning off VDC, which allows for launch control.

Saying Nissan has never talked about it is silly.

How else does Edmunds know about, and talk about how to activate the launch control:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126103
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124017

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
So far those driving the car with VDC enabled have broken nothing. Those who choose to disable the VDC are told by Nissan doing so voids the warranty. And not one professional tester has suffered any sort of mechanical failure.

And as far as the VTG goes it doesn't even work. The GTR has less lag then either the 997TT or GT2 and the Porsche tuners who took a look at it and said their aftermarket turbos pump out more ponies with less lag. I'd take Nissan's system any day over Porsche's poorly developed design.

Nissan never warned against using the launch control feature, all they said is not to turn off the VDC.
If turning off VDC voids the warranty, WHY offer an off switch in the first place? Why is there an off option if owners cannot officially use the car with VDC off?

VTG doesn't even work? I hope you were kidding with that statement. HOW do you think the 997T got a power increase compared to the 996T? The MAIN reason for the increase in power and torque is thanks to the VTG turbos. Just because the GT-R has less lag does NOT mean VTG doesn't work. The GT-R turbos are small, and they are set-up, and tuned different than the ones in the 997T.

Here's something you might want to read regarding the throttle response of the GT-R versus the 997T:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...issan_gtr.html

Originally Posted by Auto Express
Even so, at low engine speeds, the GT-R isn’t as responsive as the car Nissan has benchmarked it against, Porsche’s 911 Turbo.
So much for having less lag. Maybe less lag overall, but throttle response seems to be better on the 997T at low speeds.

Originally Posted by Auto Express
More concerningly, although the dampers have three modes – Comfort, Normal and Race – even in the softest setting the ride is uncompromising, and it’s certainly harder and less supple than a Porsche 911 or BMW M3. The GT-R is also prone to tramlining unnervingly on rutted surfaces.
More than one review has mentioned this; that even on the softest suspension setting the ride on the GT-R is still firm and hard and not as forgiving as a 997T.

Yes, the GT-R is an amazing machine, and it's great what Nissan has achieved, but some of you need to be a bit more realistic. The GT-R is not the second coming of Christ. It still lacks in several areas compared to the 997T.

Quick Reply: GT-R tranny discussion/launch control