Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R tranny discussion/launch control

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 06:21 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nissan officially warns against turning off VDC, which allows for launch control.

Saying Nissan has never talked about it is silly.

How else does Edmunds know about, and talk about how to activate the launch control:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126103
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124017

If turning off VDC voids the warranty, WHY offer an off switch in the first place? Why is there an off option if owners cannot officially use the car with VDC off?

VTG doesn't even work? I hope you were kidding with that statement. HOW do you think the 997T got a power increase compared to the 996T? The MAIN reason for the increase in power and torque is thanks to the VTG turbos. Just because the GT-R has less lag does NOT mean VTG doesn't work. The GT-R turbos are small, and they are set-up, and tuned different than the ones in the 997T.

Here's something you might want to read regarding the throttle response of the GT-R versus the 997T:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...issan_gtr.html

So much for having less lag. Maybe less lag overall, but throttle response seems to be better on the 997T at low speeds.

More than one review has mentioned this; that even on the softest suspension setting the ride on the GT-R is still firm and hard and not as forgiving as a 997T.

Yes, the GT-R is an amazing machine, and it's great what Nissan has achieved, but some of you need to be a bit more realistic. The GT-R is not the second coming of Christ. It still lacks in several areas compared to the 997T.
I agree that Nissan is wrong to void every single GT-R owners' warranty just because they turned off VDC and repeatedly using launch control. But everything has a limit, if you use one thing consecutively for far too many times in a very short period of time, well you are abusing it. For example, if you turn on a TV and then turn it off immediately and turn it on again and turn it off and repeat the same thing like hundreds of time in say...hours, and the switch malfunction, can you blame the manufacturer? Well you still could....but it is not all the manufacturer's fault in my opinion. What I am trying to say is we can't just look at the result without knowing the process, I am sure there are something we do not know about but Nissan and the owners know.
Most reviews of GT-R simply implies that GT-R is very fast and faster than a 997t on many tracks. They didn't say GT-R is a better car than a 997t, at least not that I recall. And not too many have ever said that GT-R is better than 997 911 Turbo in every area. People are just saying GT-R is faster than 911 Turbo, period. How does GT-R achieve that is not important to consumers, what is important is it has achieved it. Is GT-R more comfortable than a 997t? Is it as fuel efficient as a 997t? Is it as reliable as a 997t? Is it as good looking as a 997t? Is it as legendary as a 997t? Is it as this and that as a 997t? These are all question marks, some may be so, some may be not. But one thing is certain, that is, GT-R is a faster car than 997t. Please prove it otherwise or show proof of any kind if you are doubtful. You have to compromise something for half the money you save.
Old 10-19-08, 03:39 PM
LexFather

]http://www.gtrboards.com/index.php?showtopic=119

Old 10-19-08, 04:16 PM
LexFather

The irony that the tranny might be German made.

Originally Posted by BostonB6
Borg Warner CTO is definitely GERMAN

BorgWarner Names Dr. Hans-Peter Schmalzl Chief Technology Officer - Auto News from August 29, 2008
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Aug. 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Powertrain technology leader BorgWarner has named Dr. Hans-Peter Schmalzl to the post of Chief Technology Officer, reporting to Tim Manganello, Chairman and CEO. He succeeds Mark Perlick who retired after ten years of service to the company.

Dr. Schmalzl, 48, is responsible for driving the company's innovation process, managing the corporate technology investment and assuring a pipeline of new engine and drivetrain product development on a global basis. In addition, he continues with responsibility for the Advanced Engineering function for BorgWarner Turbo & Emissions Systems.
"In Dr. Schmalzl we have found an extremely competent person who will continue to improve our leading product technologies in terms of cost-effectiveness and environmental friendliness," said Tim Manganello, Chairman and CEO of BorgWarner.
Hans-Peter Schmalzl joined BorgWarner Turbo Systems in May 2000 and has held the position of Vice President of Technology for that business since July 2002. Prior to joining BorgWarner, he was employed by Deutz - Motorenwerke where he held positions of increasing responsibility, building his expertise in engines and turbocharging technology. Earlier in his career, he worked for Kuhnle, Kopp & Kausch AG (now part of BorgWarner Turbo & Emission Systems) in engine and turbocharger testing.
He received his Doctor-Engineer (Ph.D.) and Mechanical Engineering degree from the University of Dresden, Germany. In addition, he holds a degree from the Technical University for Applied Sciences of Mannheim, Germany, with a focus on Internal Combustion Engines. In addition to his post at BorgWarner, Dr. Schmalzl lectures in the subjects of internal combustion engines and turbo-engines as a professor at Mannheim University.

Auburn Hills, Michigan-based BorgWarner Inc. is a product leader in highly engineered components and systems for vehicle powertrain applications worldwide. The FORTUNE 500 company operates manufacturing and technical facilities in 64 locations in 17 countries. Customers include VW/Audi, Ford, Toyota, Renault/Nissan, General Motors, Hyundai/Kia, Daimler, Chrysler, Fiat, BMW, Honda, John Deere, PSA, and MAN. The Internet address for BorgWarner is: http://www.borgwarner.com

Old 10-20-08, 03:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,996 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Nissan have always had weak gearboxes. So does Toyota with the one exception of the Getrag 233 (Toyota V-160 & V-161) in the MkIV Supra.

I saw some of the shots of the blown up GTR gearbox. The failure mode is unacceptable from a design perspective. Teeth should NEVER shear from a gear in a properly designed and built gearbox. There is no mystery to building a gearbox for strength. The gears need to be physically wide enough, made of the right materials and properly finished (hardened and nitrided) so they will not fail under any reasonable load.

Second most important fundamental - no gearbox is any stronger than the bearings and housings locating the shafts. The shafts need adequate support because any geartrain will try to push the shafts apart in normal operation. So the bearings need to be in sufficient number to reduce shaft flex, and the housings supporting the bearings need to be strong enough to hold the bearings without flexing.

From the few pics I have seen, it is obvious to me there is a design problem. I've never seen a gear's teeth shear on any gearbox unless some other part of the gearbox broke off and got between the teeth. Gearboxes die from two things: too much torque (gearboxes don't care about HP, only torque) for the design, or synchro failures from damage to the synchro dogs.

I've been all through the Getrag 233. It is a brilliant design. I've been through quite a few other gearboxes of far less inspired design and manufacture. The GTR gearbox, from the pics I have seen, looks to be just another in a long line of marginal gearboxes from Nissan. Oddly enough after I abused my Getrag and broke my first gear synchro, I bought parts to fix it - all new synchros, all new bearings, all new synchro hubs, new first and second gear, and all new seals. I spent ~$2000 on parts alone. I could have bought an entire new 300ZX gearbox at the same time for $1680. But I was also told the 300ZX gearbox isn't worth rebuilding when the new one is so cheap. The weakness of the GTR's gearbox is no surprise to me.
Old 01-20-11, 01:00 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Launch Control is Back

1 of the long standing questiosn about the 2012 Nissan GT-R is whether or not the new car would feature a launch control system and, if not, how would it make those sub-Corvette numbers it needs to keep the fires burning?

Well, wonder no more. The boys over at NAGTROC have latched on to a copy of the 2012 Nissan GT-R owner's manual which, on page 5-31, details R-Mode Start Function. R-Mode Start Function gives a 4,000 rpm launch (way up from the retuned launch -- video of that in our old long termer after the jump) with but a few quick steps: Put the shifter in A or M, flip the transmission into R and the VDC into R, hold down the brake, floor the gas quickly then, within 3 seconds, release the brake and hold on.

This can be done up to 4 times -- to protect the delicate and expensive transmission and clutches -- but it is available and in the manual this time.

How fast will it be? Well, with 523 horsepower, AWD and a new launch control, high 2's / low 3's to 60 isn't an unreasonable guess. But of course, we'll have to wait to test it for ourselves.
Old 01-20-11, 01:03 PM
LexFather

The 2012 GT-R is freaking amazing and has been tested at 0-60 in 2.9.

http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2010/12/...n-3-0-seconds/

Old 01-20-11, 01:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn... Just damn!