Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GT-R tranny discussion/launch control

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 09:31 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT-R tranny discussion/launch control

Saw an episode of grage419 and theyre are reports that nissan will void your warrenty when you activate stuff like launch control and all the gadgets that make you go faster. Apperantly some guys blew theyre tranny's they take it to nissan, nissan flys in techs from Japan and they say you blew the tranny by using launch control if you want us to fix it drop 20k and were on it.

I think its just a bunch of bs that nissan put in all theese rules and regulation's they bassicly gave you the do not tuch button.

Personaly it pisses me off, I want to here youre guy's opinions on this.
Old 10-15-08, 09:54 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

those cars have glass trannies, even the owner's manual has you record your transmission replacements like oil changes
Old 10-15-08, 10:09 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a joke...

To Nissan: It is great that your beloved GT-R beats the 911 Turbo at the 'Ring for half of the price and it is also great that you stuck it to Porsche when they call you a liar. However, if you really want to take on a company like Porsche then there is much more you need to do than just having a fast car on playstations...
Old 10-15-08, 10:13 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
What a joke...

To Nissan: It is great that your beloved GT-R beats the 911 Turbo at the 'Ring for half of the price and it is also great that you stuck it to Porsche when they call you a liar. However, if you really want to take on a company like Porsche then there is much more you need to do than just having a fast car on playstations...
So you think Porsche would warranty this if you did the same thing on a 911 Turbo?
Old 10-15-08, 10:13 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

I really like a few of the nissan products, but they need to back them up.
I've never had any luck with there service. From sales to the service dept. it's always a battle.
Old 10-15-08, 10:16 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
So you think Porsche would warranty this if you did the same thing on a 911 Turbo?
Porsche = Legendary reliability. None the less you are right, but AFAIK, Porsche does not offer features to their customers that void their warranty.
Old 10-15-08, 10:17 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

1. I would think so because personally I haven't heard anything like this from the Porsche camp yet. If you have some other evidences then please provide.

2. Why put something (launch control...) on the car when it is not "allowed" to use it frequently? WHAT IS THE EFFING POINT!! To Nissan: You can't have the cake and eat it too (want to brag about the car but wouldn't stand behind it).

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 10-15-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-15-08, 10:26 AM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

wouldnt be a problem if they would make a stronger tranny... You don't hear a gt3 with broken tranny because of launching
Old 10-15-08, 10:30 AM
ST430
Pole Position

1. I would think so because personally I haven't heard anything like this from the Porsche camp yet. If you have some other evidences then please provide.

2. Why put something (lounch control...) on the car when it is not "allowed" to use it frequently? WHAT IS THE EFFING POINT!! To Nissan: You can't have the cake and eat it too (want to brag about the car but wouldn't stand behind it).
1. There's probably no complaint probably because the clientele of Porsche's can readily afford to repair any issues? And no, I don't keep up with the Porsche crowd (not my cup of tea) but it was a rhetorical question to assess your background in this.

2. I don't know the specifics of the GT-R (need to do more research instead of shooting my mouth off of one-off reports), but you seem to have intimate knowledge of this ordeal...so what exactly transpired when he launched and where?
Old 10-15-08, 10:41 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

so what exactly transpired when he launched and where?
I actually blogged about this incident and if you want you can read it at...

http://www.carspace.com/blogs/advanc.../What-a-joke--
Old 10-15-08, 10:44 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Porsche's and Nissan's clientele are one in the same. Anyone with those amounts of disposable income would be able to fix the transmission. That is not the point. The point is over the features.
Old 10-15-08, 10:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
I think its just a bunch of bs that nissan put in all theese rules and regulation's they bassicly gave you the do not tuch button.

Personaly it pisses me off, I want to here youre guy's opinions on this.
I guess you just have an axe to grind against Nissan or the GT-R.

People can and DO abuse features of cars and warranty claims get turned down all the time.

A car has a red line too but that doesn't mean it can legitimately be driven at red line all day long and not have the engine fail and then have the owner expect it to be covered under warranty.

Some people choose to thrash their cars, and dealers have every right to say you broke it, you pay to fix it.
Old 10-15-08, 11:06 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Some people choose to thrash their cars, and dealers have every right to say you broke it, you pay to fix it.
When Nissan provided a feature on their car (this case the Launch Control on the GT-R) that feature should be meant for the owners to USE regardless how often and why... No?

I wouldn't call that "trashing their cars".

When I paid $80k (probably more with the markeup) for a car I intended to be able to use EVERY feature on that car WHENEVER I WANT TO (granted if I track the car I would get the tracking insurance) and expect the manufacture to stand behind its products within the warranty period.

Is that too much to ask for these days?
Old 10-15-08, 11:15 AM
ST430
Pole Position

I actually blogged about this incident and if you want you can read it at...

http://www.carspace.com/blogs/advanc.../What-a-joke--

Read your blog about a blog about a single GT-R forum incident from some guy who did what he knew he shouldn't do. However, there is a lot of missing details especially what the telemetry information they extracted from the GT-R black box revealed. While I'm indifferent to either Nissan nor the owner's case, voiding the warranty due to "VDC turning off" seems like a generalized statement into other things they picked up (and that Nissan won't reveal).

It's interesting your only gripe about mfg. voiding these types of warranty focuses specifically on the GT-R, because BMW has a similar policy: known incidents of owners revving their M3's to redline automatically caused refusal of warranty.

As far as Porsche and Nissan clientele are the same:
Old 10-15-08, 11:23 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

BMW has a similar policy: known incidents of owners revving their M3's to redline automatically caused refusal of warranty.
Last I checked, revving the engine to redline isn't a "feature" provided by the manufacture but the Launch Control actually is...

Launch Control is a feature to the car just like the ETC PWR button on my IS350. I would be pissed if I see somewhere in the owners' manual saying that I can't use that feature whenever I want to.

Don't get me wrong, I think that GT-R owner should pay for the tranny because he agreed to Nissan's terms when he signed those documents. However, that still doesn't make Nissan's business practice right and fair to their customer... that's what I am arguing about here.

Quick Reply: GT-R tranny discussion/launch control