Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 10:28 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The outside looks nice. The interior looks retarded to me. Then again I don't often see any compact car with an interior that I like but this one looks extra bad, especially so much info stuff in the center.

Being that this is such a tech-centric vehicle and a brand new design for 2010 I sure hope it will include USB connectivity for MP3 players.
Old 10-16-08, 10:29 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Dunno how some of you guys see it as the same as the current one!

I think it looks WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the current Pious.
Agreed, it's much "less ugly" than the current car!

I actually don't mind the new one.

Maybe it's the drivers of the current car more than the car itself.
Hypermiling at 56 mph in the friggin' carpool lane... Move over, douche!
Old 10-16-08, 10:57 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Some more details about the leaked photos:

With all the talk of the new Insight from Honda along with the Chevrolet Volt, many people have forgotten about the Toyota Prius. The Prius is the choice of both environmentalists and the Hollywood elite -- it also is the butt of many jokes with regards to its looks and its "green" image.

The third generation Prius wasn't to be unveiled until the Detroit Auto Show in January, but Autoblog grabbed three pictures which are reported to be the Toyota's next generation hybrid vehicle. The three pictures show the vehicle's front 3/4 view, a close up of the front fog lights and lower air dam, and a shot of the interior.

The production exterior and interior shots match up with spy shots of the next generation Prius that made the rounds online a few months ago.

With regards to the exterior, it probably wouldn't be mistaken for anything else but a Prius. The design is sleeker and takes styling cues from a number of Toyota's current cars including the Yaris and Camry.

Toyota has big plans for the new Prius. It will be larger and more fuel efficient than its predecessor. According to reports, the Prius will use a 1.8-liter gasoline engine developing at least 100HP (up from 75HP). When used in conjunction with the electric motor, combined power will rise to 160HP. Toyota also has plans to incorporate solar panels into the roofs of range-topping Prius models to aid in recharging the battery pack.

What remains to be seen, however, is if Toyota will be able to match the sub-$19,000 price tag projected for Honda's next generation Insight.
Old 10-16-08, 01:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.8L thats old news? It was confirmed last month that it would have an all new 1.6L.
Old 10-16-08, 01:32 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i think this is a real leak
not rendered
the details of the headlights look the same in both shots
just the close up shot is shot from a lower angle so you cant see the top accent of the headlight
I dunno, unless that's a super awkward angle with a fisheye lens it's distorting that Maxima/370Z esque head light, into a flat smooth headlight.
Old 10-16-08, 01:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Dunno how some of you guys see it as the same as the current one!

I think it looks WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the current Pious.
As I suggested in my previous post, the rear portion of the current prius is the part I have the most problem with, & they look almost the same from the side view, so I want to see a view from the back also.
The new front end (assuming this is not a rendering) is not that great looking either, it's just different, but not necessary better looking than the current front end.
Old 10-16-08, 01:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
1.8L thats old news? It was confirmed last month that it would have an all new 1.6L.
Where's the confirmation? From Toyco? Curious...
Old 10-16-08, 01:47 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's official now, those are the pictures for the new 2010 Toyota Prius.

From Edmunds IL:

Toyota spokesman Curt McAllister on Thursday morning confirmed for Inside Line the authenticity of the images, and said they were "accidentally leaked." He added, "More details at the Detroit show."

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 10-16-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 01:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the solar panels in the roof. I was wondering why for the longest time nobody had these recharging solar panels on hybrid cars. In one of the older topics I suggested that would be something I'd like to see as your car could be charging while you were parked (If you parked outside) and at least trickle charging while driving. Every little bit helps. I'm glad they are starting to include these solar panels now.
Old 10-16-08, 02:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
we have known about 1.8l for almost an year... few blog sites posted things like 1.5l or 1.6l because they dont know better...

Prius will have 1.8l ZR engine + 60hp battery for total of 160hp, and 10-15% better fuel mileage than 110hp Prius of today, while being more spacious and more luxurious and more sporty...
Old 10-16-08, 03:48 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
It's official now, those are the pictures for the new 2010 Toyota Prius.

From Edmunds IL:

Toyota spokesman Curt McAllister on Thursday morning confirmed for Inside Line the authenticity of the images, and said they were "accidentally leaked." He added, "More details at the Detroit show."

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
I can confirm these are real images-- I work for TMS and we got news that somebody (We don't know who) leaked these photos out on to the internet. Oooohhh that person is going to be in so much trouble if they ever get found out!!!
Old 10-16-08, 04:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So they are official then. The images are small, and some of them are compressed and not properly sized.

Official pics should be a lot better, but so far the new Prius looks good.
Old 10-16-08, 09:52 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So they are official then. The images are small, and some of them are compressed and not properly sized.

Official pics should be a lot better, but so far the new Prius looks good.
Well keep in mind, while they are pictures of the offical 2010 Prius, they are not the typical high resolution images offically released from Toyota, hence the quality is not so great. Somebody leaked these images out onto the internet without consent from Toyota.
Old 10-17-08, 07:23 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Still ugly.
Old 10-18-08, 01:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

The back will look similar if you guys remember the black mule spyshots. They'll probably rearrange the lights or something.

Quick Reply: 2010 Toyota Prius