Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 06:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

p.s. how do you guys feel that 2nd TMC model with LED headlights will be Prius? :-).
Old 10-18-08, 07:59 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. how do you guys feel that 2nd TMC model with LED headlights will be Prius? :-).
I'll feel special lol. The only other ones are the LS600h L and the Audi A8. (not counting the newer Audis with the rows of LEDs as DRLs right?)

It'll also be awesome.
Old 10-18-08, 08:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

LEDs headlights just dont tickle me. Not that they're bad, but they aren't that spectacular either (as of right now). Perhaps maybe in a few years I'll grow to like them on a car.
Old 10-19-08, 06:33 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
The shots of the new Honda Insight show LED headlights, though I question if that's a feature that will actually carry over from concept to production as full LED headlights still add a HUGE amount of additional cost for the manufacturer (and thus consumer) and in the end 'only' conserve about 30-35% per lumen vs halogen.

I'm not sure how you have determined factually that the new Prius WILL have LEDs based on this shot?
Old 10-19-08, 04:43 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
The shots of the new Honda Insight show LED headlights, though I question if that's a feature that will actually carry over from concept to production as full LED headlights still add a HUGE amount of additional cost for the manufacturer (and thus consumer) and in the end 'only' conserve about 30-35% per lumen vs halogen.

I'm not sure how you have determined factually that the new Prius WILL have LEDs based on this shot?
It's not based on the shot... he has more than access to these photos
Old 10-30-08, 03:28 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 80 mpg!!

Can it be true?

An "insider" at LLN has it on good authority that the oft-rumored Prius brand is, in their words, "a go." According to their source, the goal of the spin-off is to create cheaper hybrid models that would command a marginal premium over their standard, hybrid-free counterparts.

The rumormill pot gets stirred a bit more with the claim that the 2010 Prius could achieve up to 80 mpg. Combine that with the rumblings about a Prius price cut and it's starting to look like the Volt will have it's work cut out for it. Informed speculation also says that the reworked Prius may be joined by an upscale five-door Prius model in the $28-30,000 range and that Toyota could be planning a four-door "Baby Prius" expected to sell in the mid-teens, utilizing a nickel metal hydride battery pack and coming to market in 2013.
Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/30/p...ferent-models/
Old 10-30-08, 03:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Up to 80mpg I'm sure is "possible" but I'd be shocked if the EPA ratings are anything more than 10% improved over the current Prius, which isn't bad, but isn't anything remotely close to 80mpg either.

I'm interested what the 'upscale' 5 door Prius is referring to... would it actually have a better interior, paint, hardware, sound insulation, etc? Like the Lexus version of the Prius or something? Then again a Lexus Prius I'd expect to come nearly fully loaded by default compared to the Toyota model and start more like low 30s.
Old 10-30-08, 04:48 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

well lexus is already coming out with a prius of its own. HS250 which will have a 4 cyl engine. i expect it to be priced around the IS
Old 10-30-08, 05:07 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Up to 80mpg I'm sure is "possible" but I'd be shocked if the EPA ratings are anything more than 10% improved over the current Prius, which isn't bad, but isn't anything remotely close to 80mpg either.

I'm interested what the 'upscale' 5 door Prius is referring to... would it actually have a better interior, paint, hardware, sound insulation, etc? Like the Lexus version of the Prius or something? Then again a Lexus Prius I'd expect to come nearly fully loaded by default compared to the Toyota model and start more like low 30s.
My 2004 Prius got 48 MPG in the time I owned it 3.5 years. IMHO to get 80 MPG either bigger battery or Lithium's are going to be in the car. Would not surprise me with what I call lithium denial, not ready and other excuses.

I need an All Wheel Drive so I got a RX400h.
Old 10-30-08, 05:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

article is full of holes everywhere, Toyota themselves said 10-15% better mpg while having 50% more power in new Prius...

(so no 80 mpg, but rather around 55 mpg)

Last edited by spwolf; 10-30-08 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-30-08, 05:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I'll feel special lol. The only other ones are the LS600h L and the Audi A8. (not counting the newer Audis with the rows of LEDs as DRLs right?)

It'll also be awesome.
for people that dont visit priuschat, so far about very cool stuff, we know about LED headlights (same setup as in leaked RX450h), we know about lane assist/departure system which comes bundled with pre-crash, radar based cruise control (more advanced/newer system than in LS460), we know about HUD display (also coming to RX), and for more basic features lumbar support and height adjustable seats... It seems that digital speedometar is not just that, but is multi colored and has at least one LCD in it...
Old 10-30-08, 06:49 PM
LexFather

Maybe a lighter small model can get 80MPG but not the Prius.

Old 10-30-08, 07:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yeah I see the new Prius in the mid 50 MPG range. Now, a plug in Prius with Li-ion bats could prolly hit close to 80 MPG.
Old 10-30-08, 07:02 PM
xioix
Racer

10% on the European rated Prius can bring it close to the 80 MPG
Old 10-30-08, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe a lighter small model can get 80MPG but not the Prius.
that's possible. look at the honda insight, my friend has it and if he drives carefully, he got over 80mpg. with aggressive driving (as if the car can really go...), he still get over 50mpg day in day out

Quick Reply: 2010 Toyota Prius