Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 07:47 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQWTP...ww.autoblog.it

You guys see this one with BLUE MAN GROUP? Cool!

I want this new Prius now!

Can't wait until the all important spec. MPG!
Old 12-28-08, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JLSC4

I want this new Prius now!

Can't wait until the all important spec. MPG!
Yeah I saw it earlier today and I think not only is the ad superb, but the Prius looks 10 times better inside and out.

Old 12-29-08, 06:46 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A black interior.... you know Toyota only puts black interiors in their "sport" versions right?

Corolla S/XRS
Matrix XRS or XR with Sport Package (in Canada... I tihnk you guys call it the S or sth?)
Camry SE
RAV4 Sport
Highlander Sport
Yaris RS (Yaris S in the US I think).

So I wonder if the black interior is going to be a separate trim or only available on higher models or whether it really is going to be available across the line.
Old 01-05-09, 07:20 PM
mkesc400
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

as far as i know, that is the new prius. it's better than the first one but i sitll don't like the shape of it
Old 01-05-09, 11:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

< 1 week guys!
Old 01-06-09, 08:59 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4

They scare me...
Old 01-06-09, 09:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

solar panels were revealed in latest preview from toyota...
Old 01-06-09, 09:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
solar panels were revealed in latest preview from toyota...

Old 01-06-09, 09:28 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 01-06-09, 09:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the new Prius in a lot of ways, but those solar panels I'd be a large sum of money are a marketing gimmick... you could leave your car out in the sun on a full sun day and come back out 8 hours later and probably have gained enough energy to make it out of the parking lot at best. Comparing their minimal benefit to the cost that they've added to the vehicle's design and production I have a really hard time seeing them becoming cost effective.

It's especially strange to me that they will have these panels but apparently not have a plug?
Old 01-06-09, 10:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I like the new Prius in a lot of ways, but those solar panels I'd be a large sum of money are a marketing gimmick... you could leave your car out in the sun on a full sun day and come back out 8 hours later and probably have gained enough energy to make it out of the parking lot at best. Comparing their minimal benefit to the cost that they've added to the vehicle's design and production I have a really hard time seeing them becoming cost effective.

It's especially strange to me that they will have these panels but apparently not have a plug?
plugin hybrids and solar panels have apsolutly nothing to do with each other whatsoever.

and as to the solar panels - you gotta start somewhere.

Original Prius was an joke vehicle for me 10 years ago.... Look at it now... 2010 Prius seems awesome in every way i can imagine, for what it is.

Same goes for solar - it does not have to reinvent the wheel... but you have to start somewhere... and I like that Toyota is pushing envelope on it.

I am looking forward to solar energy future - i live in the area where we have sun 10 months in a year, and with cost of panels dropping, within 5-6 years it will be economically beneficial for me to install solar panels on my roof (of my future house), and it will pay off within several years.

Same goes for plugin hybrids - within 5-7 years, it will be economically better for me to drive plugin hybrid compared to oil.

And hey, if I am helping enviroment, it is an plus too.

Solar energy is on the up so much that despite doubling factory output every 2-3 years, there is so much demand right now that factories cant fullfill orders.

If large corporations like Toyota join the game, more R&D will be invested into the area, and it will become cheaper over the time as well.
Old 01-06-09, 10:22 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

plugin hybrids and solar panels have apsolutly nothing to do with each other whatsoever.
Uh... sure they do... they both charge the battery from external sources while the vehicle is parked. Solar panels will also charge while driving but for most people that will only be a fraction of the total charging time.

The difference is a plug will actually charge the vehicle's battery very quickly and effectively whereas the solar panels will make virtually no difference in anything except the car's marketing potential and ability to make the Prius seem that much more green and advanced to the general public.

The Volt will have optional solar panels as well and I think it's just as pointless, for now...
Old 01-06-09, 10:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Uh... sure they do... they both charge the battery from external sources while the vehicle is parked. Solar panels will also charge while driving but for most people that will only be a fraction of the total charging time.

The difference is a plug will actually charge the vehicle's battery very quickly and effectively whereas the solar panels will make virtually no difference in anything except the car's marketing potential and ability to make the Prius seem that much more green and advanced to the general public.

The Volt will have optional solar panels as well and I think it's just as pointless, for now...
not really... you cant use plugins with nimh batteries due to the properties (wouldnt last long).. Solar panels would not charge HV batteries as much , however it seems that Toyota wont be using solar for HV batteries, but for powering auxillaries/12v battery, and venting interior (and whatever else might be done via 12v)... As I said, you have to start somewhere, this is all preparation for future lion batteries.
Old 01-06-09, 10:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

who really knows what will Volt have 2 years from now? Hopefully it gets released on time...
Old 01-06-09, 11:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

not really... you cant use plugins with nimh batteries due to the properties (wouldnt last long).. Solar panels would not charge HV batteries as much , however it seems that Toyota wont be using solar for HV batteries, but for powering auxillaries/12v battery, and venting interior (and whatever else might be done via 12v)... As I said, you have to start somewhere, this is all preparation for future lion batteries.
Why can't you plug in nimh? The memory effect?

who really knows what will Volt have 2 years from now? Hopefully it gets released on time...
Last I heard the first limited release of volts on a lease-only basis to people already on the waiting list now will happen in December 09. But yeah with the way things are going it could be delayed.

Quick Reply: 2010 Toyota Prius