Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Full Test: 2009 Acura RL Full Test (o-60 in 7.2 seconds)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 11:39 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I rarely see RL's around here, but a lot of TL's tho. Looks like that isn't gonna change for 2009.
Old 10-17-08, 11:52 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I like how all the pictures don't show the front.
Old 10-17-08, 12:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you talking about the first-generation SH-AWD RL? That had a lot more than 210 HP. Its V6 was rated around 260-265 HP.

I think you are referring to the old FWD RL, which was discontinued several years ago, when the SH-AWD RL replaced it..

What do you mean first gen SH-AWD RL? It's still pretty much the same car, refreshed face and now a 3.7L engine.
Old 10-17-08, 12:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
Edmunds must either have been taking it real easy or had a bunch of fat guys in the car when they tested it because the RL is quicker then 7.2 seconds. The 05-08 RL with a 3.5l 290SAE hp did 0-60 in 6.4-6.7 seconds in all the tests. The refresh has 3.7l 300SAE hp or 10 more hp, more torque, improved powerband, and more performance oriented SHAWD system. The only other differences are some interior trim updates, exterior styling treaks, and a little more room in the rear. There was nothing done to the refresh to make it slower, it would only be faster. The 96-04 RL was built on a separate fwd platform and was not available with SHAWD, it had 210hp, then 215hp, then 225hp from a V6 and was a good deal slower then the 05 and up.
Sorry but not EVERY review got the times you are claiming. There were 7 second+ reviews. Not sure why you think the refresh should make it faster.
Also the 96-04 RL was based on the older Legend. It shared 40% of its parts with the outgoing Legend. The 05- current RL is also built on a FWD platform, the Honda global midsize platform.

Old 10-17-08, 12:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least Infiniti stop the production of Q45 and making (hopfully) a better one.

Acura just can't get it right.
Old 10-17-08, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
probably coz it's ugly.....

I would take an '05~'08 RL over any other Acura models any day..... It looks HELL a lot better than the '09 TL....

lolz
if we can put an "=" between legend and RL

i would pick any legend back in the 90s
Old 10-17-08, 01:26 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry but not EVERY review got the times you are claiming. There were 7 second+ reviews. Not sure why you think the refresh should make it faster.
Also the 96-04 RL was based on the older Legend. It shared 40% of its parts with the outgoing Legend. The 05- current RL is also built on a FWD platform, the Honda global midsize platform.
I must admit Acura has done a terrible job with the RL. But 1SICKLEX when you make statements like the 05 current RL is also built on a FWD platform, the Honda global midsize platform does a injustice to how great the SH-AWD is in the Acura RL. I truly feel if you took the time to understand the technology you would not downgrade the car so much. Is it a terrible car No! Not by a chance but I agree Acura has done a terrible job with the exterior.
Old 10-17-08, 01:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogers2
I must admit Acura has done a terrible job with the RL. But 1SICKLEX when you make statements like the 05 current RL is also built on a FWD platform, the honda global midesize platform does a disjustice to how great the SH-AWD is in the Acura RL. I truly feel if you took the time to understand the technology you wouldn't downgrade the car so much. Is it a terrible No not by a chance but I agree Acura has done a terrible job with the exterior.
I don't think he was downing the car, just noting that it is a member of the global accord platform that has had SH-AWD worked into it. That platform is inherently FWD, and obviously SH-AWD does a great job of changing the dynamics of the car.
Old 10-17-08, 01:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, not to just turn this into a "rip on Acura" thread but I really think that one of their greatest challenges is advertising. They really just have a very average range of promotional ideas and methods. Their commercials are so forgettable that they could be from any other brand. Lexus is regarded as one of (If not THE) the best in automotive marketing and there is a certain aura and flare to most of their ads that you can always pick out as Lexus.

Now, Infiniti's newest ads (car running into and shattering some word) I don't care much for but for a while they were focusing on design and really driving home a unique message with that. They did a good job, and those commercials were memorable. They also had the "wave" commercial with the G which was really cool and very upscale looking.

All of Acura's commercials are the same. They all show the car doing some athletic maneuvers with a few cool special affects and then..."Acura. Advance." Done deal.

Their print ads are just as forgettable. Same shots and layout that every other brand uses.

Acura has a weak brand image, and even more than that, a weak group of people helping them to define it. The new beak grille? "Advance" is their tagline? Their product line is average overall. These things combined with a weak advertising focus and message is just ruining the brand.

As someone who has a career in marketing and advertising, but who is also an automotive enthusiast, Acura's blunders are plain to see! There have been several other companies who have sold bad or average products with great marketing. When your products are sub par, you need even BETTER marketing and advertising to entice buyers. Acura has decent products, but their public image is just as cluttered and unfocused as their own internal agenda! What do they expect?

Acura could be a great company but I really think that their refusal to break with Honda is only convoluting the brand message and position. They cannot establish a clear identity until they actually stand for something. Truthfully, the most defining thing about Acura right now is SH-AWD...other than that you can find everything they offer in a Honda. As has been said over, and over, and over again, Acura will not and can not succeed further until they are willing to take the necessary steps to do so. No more halfassed attempts with the hope that "Honda reliability with more wood" in the back of people's minds will sell their cars.

The biggest problem that Acura has (and the reason for their declining sales) is that Infiniti and Audi have really brought their A game recently. And guess what?! They too have successful parent companies, but those companies have realized and addressed the necessary steps for becoming a true luxury "power". They are given dedicated products, platforms, engineers, designs, budgets, R&D, etc.

There is just so much that Acura is doing wrong. They really and truly are a "Honda de luxe" and that does not mean that their products are bad. The company lacks their own focus and strategy, and effectively, so do their products. The second half of that is that whoever they are using for marketing and advertising is doing an even weaker job of conveying the brand to the public!
Old 10-17-08, 01:54 PM
wmb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Also, not to just turn this into a "rip on Acura" thread but I really think that one of their greatest challenges is advertising. They really just have a very average range of promotional ideas and methods. Their commercials are so forgettable that they could be from any other brand. Lexus is regarded as one of (If not THE) the best in automotive marketing and there is a certain aura and flare to most of their ads that you can always pick out as Lexus.

Now, Infiniti's newest ads (car running into and shattering some word) I don't care much for but for a while they were focusing on design and really driving home a unique message with that. They did a good job, and those commercials were memorable. They also had the "wave" commercial with the G which was really cool and very upscale looking.

All of Acura's commercials are the same. They all show the car doing some athletic maneuvers with a few cool special affects and then..."Acura. Advance." Done deal.

Their print ads are just as forgettable. Same shots and layout that every other brand uses.

Acura has a weak brand image, and even more than that, a weak group of people helping them to define it. The new beak grille? "Advance" is their tagline? Their product line is average overall. These things combined with a weak advertising focus and message is just ruining the brand.

As someone who has a career in marketing and advertising, but who is also an automotive enthusiast, Acura's blunders are plain to see! There have been several other companies who have sold bad or average products with great marketing. When your products are sub par, you need even BETTER marketing and advertising to entice buyers. Acura has decent products, but their public image is just as cluttered and unfocused as their own internal agenda! What do they expect?

Acura could be a great company but I really think that their refusal to break with Honda is only convoluting the brand message and position. They cannot establish a clear identity until they actually stand for something. Truthfully, the most defining thing about Acura right now is SH-AWD...other than that you can find everything they offer in a Honda. As has been said over, and over, and over again, Acura will not and can not succeed further until they are willing to take the necessary steps to do so. No more halfassed attempts with the hope that "Honda reliability with more wood" in the back of people's minds will sell their cars.

The biggest problem that Acura has (and the reason for their declining sales) is that Infiniti and Audi have really brought their A game recently. And guess what?! They too have successful parent companies, but those companies have realized and addressed the necessary steps for becoming a true luxury "power". They are given dedicated products, platforms, engineers, designs, budgets, R&D, etc.

There is just so much that Acura is doing wrong. They really and truly are a "Honda de luxe" and that does not mean that their products are bad. The company lacks their own focus and strategy, and effectively, so do their products. The second half of that is that whoever they are using for marketing and advertising is doing an even weaker job of conveying the brand to the public!
Very well said
Old 10-17-08, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Like the last RL and the Q45, Lincoln LS, etc they are a SMOKING used car deal. Easily in the 20k range used today as values plummeted. A lot of car for the money, nothing else in the 25k range is close.
I think you and I pretty much agree on that. Where we may disagree is whether a new RL is worth the price. Compared to a lot of other 50K cars, I think it is (for those who can afford it or want to spend that much money).
But, from a personal viewpoint, no, because I myself would not spend 50K on ANY car, new or used. 35K or so (maybe 40) would be about my limit....any more, IMO, is just too much. And Subaru, of course, makes what IMO are some superb cars for well under 35K.
Old 10-17-08, 02:54 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

In my opinion...Acura/Honda by far are making the ugliest cars/trucks in the market right now....

Honda...the new Pilot....what a let down...one thing to be bland...total other thing to be bland and ugly.

Acura...updated RL, new TL...where the hell is Honda taking Acura too...they look hideous...especially the new TL. what were they thinking with that facia and the rear end!! They will forever loose all the ES350 shoppers!!
Old 10-17-08, 04:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Spot on. Recent data shows they have the lowest brand image among automobiles, which is very believable. They have watched Infiniti and others pass them.
Comparsion in prices. THis RL was over 54k loaded. Here are the 09 prices.
2009 RL Starts at $46,280
2009 RL with Technology Package Starts at $49,900
2009 RL with Technology and CMBS / ACC Packages Starts at $53,700

Some V-8 AWD price comparisons out of curiosity

The V-8, AWD Volvo S80 which is brand new starts at $51,800 and includes free maintenance.
The V-8, AWD Infiniti M45x which debuted last year starts at $52, 750.
The V-8, AWD Audi 4.2 A6 starts at $56,300

Last edited by LexFather; 10-17-08 at 04:42 PM.

Old 10-17-08, 05:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't recall reading in any major mags where the RL was timed at over 7 seconds. All mags I read had it at under 7. Some reviewers and sources do not actually test the car or use standard equipment to run test it but simply guess or predict based on hp, weight, seat of pants feel. It is a fact the RL did 0-60 in 6.4 seconds in timed tests so Edmunds getting a time over 7 seconds seems a bit off.

If you think the 09 RL is just a cosmetic refresh over the previous 05-08 model and that is it then you have obviously not read up on it. The 09 RL now has a larger 3.7 liter engine compared to the previous 3.5 and makes 300SAE hp instead of 290SAEhp as well as torque has increased from 256lb to 271lb. The powerband has been improved for performance as well as the SHAWD tuned to be more aggressive and rear biased as well as more aggressive suspension tuning. All of those performance enhancements add up to the 09RL should be quicker then the 05-08RL. Every review I have read and every person I talked to has stated the 09 RL feels a good deal quicker then the 08 and you can feel the extra power. I just read the Cars.com review and the reviewer said you can feel the extra power and can tell it is quicker then the previous model. I am just saying the Edmunds time was a bit slow for what it should be putting out and the 09 should be in the low to mid 6 second range with the bigger engine and power and tuning increase over the previous model that did 0-60 under 7 seconds.

The 05-08 RL is based on the Honda Global midsize platform where the previous original RL and Legend were based on their own platform, don't see how there was any confusion. It is funny how some are completely dismissing the RL and Acura based on this one 0-60 time by Edmunds like they are the end all and be all of automotive journalism, 0-60 times from other sources are lower and will be lower and to judge a entire car based on one 0-60 time is kind of ridiculous, the RL is not a sports car it is a sporty lux sedan. If RT, CD, or Automobile or some other other major auto mag get a 0-60 time in the high 5's or low 6 seconds does the RL suddenly become a great car?
Old 10-17-08, 05:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't recall reading in any major mags where the RL was timed at over 7 seconds. All mags I read had it at under 7. Some reviewers and sources do not actually test the car or use standard equipment to run test it but simply guess or predict based on hp, weight, seat of pants feel. It is a fact the RL did 0-60 in 6.4 seconds in timed tests so Edmunds getting a time over 7 seconds seems a bit off.

If you think the 09 RL is just a cosmetic refresh over the previous 05-08 model and that is it then you have obviously not read up on it. The 09 RL now has a larger 3.7 liter engine compared to the previous 3.5 and makes 300SAE hp instead of 290SAEhp as well as torque has increased from 256lb to 271lb. The powerband has been improved for performance as well as the SHAWD tuned to be more aggressive and rear biased as well as more aggressive suspension tuning. All of those performance enhancements add up to the 09RL should be quicker then the 05-08RL. Every review I have read and every person I talked to has stated the 09 RL feels a good deal quicker then the 08 and you can feel the extra power. I just read the Cars.com review and the reviewer said you can feel the extra power and can tell it is quicker then the previous model. I am just saying the Edmunds time was a bit slow for what it should be putting out and the 09 should be in the low to mid 6 second range with the bigger engine and power and tuning increase over the previous model that did 0-60 under 7 seconds.

The 05-08 RL is based on the Honda Global midsize platform where the previous original RL and Legend were based on their own platform, don't see how there was any confusion. It is funny how some are completely dismissing the RL and Acura based on this one 0-60 time by Edmunds like they are the end all and be all of automotive journalism, 0-60 times from other sources are lower and will be lower and to judge a entire car based on one 0-60 time is kind of ridiculous, the RL is not a sports car it is a sporty lux sedan. If RT, CD, or Automobile or some other other major auto mag get a 0-60 time in the high 5's or low 6 seconds does the RL suddenly become a great car?
Udel I am not saying it is a 7 second car. I am saying its times are from the mid 6 second range to the over 7 second range. I don't believe in quoting the fastest times, I average them out. This is IMO a high 6 second car. It really doesn't matter though if its a low to mid 6 second car, it is slower than everything it competes with pretty much, with worse fuel economy or avg fuel economy. 300hp in name only, a complete waste.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

They got a 6.5 second run in the refreshed model. They also got worse MPG.

The RL shares its V-6, upsized in both bore and stroke from 3.5 liters to 3.7, with the Acura MDX. The first use of Honda’s VTEC variable valve-timing-and-lift system for both intake and exhaust on a single-overhead-cam engine leaves pony power flat at 300 compared with the old 3.5 but lifts torque by 11 pound-feet to 271, with similar power peaks as before but more pull in the lower revs. Acceleration also stays essentially flat, with the 0-to-60-mph run taking 6.5 seconds. In EPA testing, the new RL loses 2 mpg in highway mileage. We saw 13 mpg on one fill-up and 25 on another, for an average of 19.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full Test: 2009 Acura RL Full Test (o-60 in 7.2 seconds)