Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone have experience with a B5 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 06:35 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with a B5 S4?

First off, I don't care what you think about Audis if you haven't owned one.

I'm considering a B5 S4 (manual). I'm not looking to get crazy power out of it. Probably mostly suspension mods and maybe an exhaust.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone owned one. I loved them since they came out (still remember seeing one when they first came out at a local dealership) but just scared of reliability issues. I'm a DIY person so just curious how DIY-able Audis are also.

I'm looking at a 2001-2002 (since they have ESP). I've been reading up various Audi forums but if anyone has any tips or issues to watch out, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-08, 07:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

does it count if i used to work on them at the dealer?
i love the car. i would have one if they weren't such a pain to work on. for some reason the germans can't figure out how to put an egnine in a car without cramming everyting in so tightly you need a german midget to do any of the work!
they tend to leak oil. valve covers, cam seals, rear mains, also rear differential seals leak quite often.
if a turbo goes bad which is likely considering teh mileage they are getting up to, you ahve to pull the entire engine out to replace it.
a reflash of the ecu will really bring some power out of it. they're not very fast stock. to get the most power, yo'ull want new downpipes as well as the exhaust. the downpipes are a ***** to replace.
the engine has a forged crank, rods and pistons so it will hold up to any abuse you can dish out as long as you don't go too lean.

anything else you want to know, ask me...

Last edited by 19psi; 10-20-08 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 07:48 AM
LexFather

^^^ Wow, I can't add much except the stock V-6 TT made 250hp and can be chipped for easy power gains. I also have head they are a beast to work on. I was and still am a fan of this car.

Old 10-17-08, 08:10 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^me too... that was a serious car for audi.
btw im sure uve come across this site www.audiworld.com. if u havnt, its a excellent forum, the best audi forum in my opinion.
Old 10-17-08, 08:44 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by 19psi
of course! im just tired of reading "ZOMG AUDI GERMAN UBER ELECTRONIC FAIL".

i love the car. i would have one if they weren't such a pain to work on. for some reason teh germans can figure out how to put an egnine in a car without cramming everyting in so tightly you need a german midget to do any of the work!
they tend to leak oil. valve covers, cam seals, rear mains, also rear differential seals leak quite often.
if a turbo goes bad which is likely considering teh mileage they are getting up to, you ahve to pull the entire engine out to replace it.
a reflash of the ecu will really bring some power out of it. they're not very fast stock. to get the most power, yo'ull want new downpipes as well as the exhaust. the downpipes are a ***** to replace.
the engine has a forged crank, rods and pistons so it will hold up to any abuse you can dish out as long as you don't go too lean.

anything else you want to know, ask me...
errr...that sucks that they put everything so damn tightly. I love working on cars but not if I have to pull the engine out everytime. I may have to send you PMs if I get serious about this.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ Wow, I can't add much except the stock V-6 TT made 250hp and can be chipped for easy power gains. I also have head they are a beast to work on. I was and still am a fan of this car.
yeah..seems like a PITA to work on. ugh. I think 300hp is more than enough. i make that much out of the GS, which is more than enough for me. I'd rather invest in suspension.

Originally Posted by ndk83
^^me too... that was a serious car for audi.
btw im sure uve come across this site www.audiworld.com. if u havnt, its a excellent forum, the best audi forum in my opinion.
thanks, but I'm reading up on that forum already like you said
Old 10-17-08, 09:02 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My roommate had one...said it was his favorite car that he ever owned. He got rid of it because of the several oil leaks like others have noted, and other little nitty gritty maintenance bits which are all very costly.

Great car though, and good luck
Old 10-17-08, 01:31 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used to be on audiforums when i had my a4(i still am i just dont post theyre)
but here is a good thread to help you out
http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48510
Old 10-17-08, 09:43 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

AUDI B5 S4 MMM haha, i've always wanted one in nogaro blue with euro headlights =/. i hear they're not reliable at all...so expect to save some money for repairs if you get one that's been driven a lot.
Old 10-18-08, 06:26 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My roommate had one...said it was his favorite car that he ever owned. He got rid of it because of the several oil leaks like others have noted, and other little nitty gritty maintenance bits which are all very costly.

Great car though, and good luck
nitty gritty? like electronics? scares me when it's not one but "several" oil leak...

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
used to be on audiforums when i had my a4(i still am i just dont post theyre)
but here is a good thread to help you out
http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48510
good link! thanks!!

Originally Posted by butterbeer
AUDI B5 S4 MMM haha, i've always wanted one in nogaro blue with euro headlights =/. i hear they're not reliable at all...so expect to save some money for repairs if you get one that's been driven a lot.
you heard they're not reliable from...?
Old 10-20-08, 08:34 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

one other thing; the ball joints go to ****e every 40k miles or so. usually front uppers. audi for some reason uses a 5 link front suspension which is nice for handling and keeping the tire in contact with the road under suspension cycling but they have several ball joints which go bad quite often.
of course in typical german style, you have to buy the whole control arm to get the ball joint. i can't remember exactly what each CA costs but they'r enot cheap and the labor is high to replace them. tie rod ends also rust solid with a matter of a couple years so they end up having ot be cut off! and replaced just to do an alignment.
Old 10-20-08, 11:19 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I can tell you that the V6 TT in there is the best engine Audi has built and if you find one in Nogaro blue that you better go for it. Good enough?
Old 10-20-08, 01:28 PM
kit cat

one other thing; the ball joints go to ****e every 40k miles or so. usually front uppers. audi for some reason uses a 5 link front suspension which is nice for handling and keeping the tire in contact with the road under suspension cycling but they have several ball joints which go bad quite often.
of course in typical german style, you have to buy the whole control arm to get the ball joint. i can't remember exactly what each CA costs but they'r enot cheap and the labor is high to replace them. tie rod ends also rust solid with a matter of a couple years so they end up having ot be cut off! and replaced just to do an alignment.
I've heard of those ball joints going out and tie rods rusting but I don't mind doing ball joint jobs... I do mind paying for an entire ball joint assy though. Ugh, it's so hard to pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I can tell you that the V6 TT in there is the best engine Audi has built and if you find one in Nogaro blue that you better go for it. Good enough?
yeah, as long as it's not silver or yellow. White, black, Nogaro blue with BBS CH would be oh so beautiful. It's hard enough to find a 6MT in good condition, and most of them seem to be silver, then Avants are virtually non-existent.
Old 10-20-08, 01:40 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

One reason I enjoy this forum is that even the most bias people can recognize another car for what it is.

As far as the Audi, I have a B5, but it's a Passat Yes the control arms/cv axles are a *****. CVs failed at 60K, control arms 85K. Both costly, but considering the way the car feels, handles and turns in a tight circle, I'd say it's worth it. An extended warranty will save your *** as well. Oh, and yes the engine bay is ridiculously compact (W8 is even worse). But the attention to detail is painfully evident even in this engine bay. Weather stripping for example, or the rubber strickers on the A4 door hinges, etc, etc.
Old 10-20-08, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Old 10-20-08, 09:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i love the car. i would have one if they weren't such a pain to work on. for some reason the germans can't figure out how to put an egnine in a car without cramming everyting in so tightly you need a german midget to do any of the work!
I've never owned one, and this is a perfect illustration of why.

My buddy Ben had one and it was great when it wasn't getting broken parts replaced.

Buy as much warranty as you can.

Stock for stock no faster in a straight line than my GS400, but will out-handle
most stock Lexus cars (except IS-F).

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with a B5 S4?