Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ticket for Loud Music!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 11:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Classical music at volume level 50, lol thats too funny.
Old 10-17-08, 11:26 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jags300
I have a pretty good idea why he pulled me over. He sees a young Hispanic driving a $50,000 dollar car. Its also a poor neighborhood so I definitely was standing out. The first thing he asks is "What are you doing in Lawrence?" (My license says Boston, thats where I live.) That right there tells me he was looking for something else. This is what pissed me of! It was a nice warm day out, I had the stereo on around 50 and I had my window down.

Or maybe he saw a young Hispanic guy who saw a cop car coming toward him and didn't have enough respect for him to lower his music?

Seriously, loud music has been a fine-able offense since forever, how is this a surprise to anyone? You know when you're driving and blasting your music at a level that can be annoying to other people and it's just common sense to turn it down when you see a cop car coming toward you. You gave him the reason to pull you over and have him harrass you? Same thing applies to the tints we put on our cars, blue lights, etc?

Not getting on your case personally, what what did you expect to happen, it's called quality of life and it's popular here in NYC. Bust someone for the minor violation as a reason to run their ID and hope that you come back with a bigger bust. At the very minimum, you create revenue for your city by issuing a ticket.
Old 10-17-08, 12:51 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
50 ???? blasting music in a nice car in a bad neighborhood..

that's definitely way too loud

mine is around 12-15 at all time and it's on the moderate side of things, i can't even imagine it being at 50

sorry, nothing is worse than having to listen to someone else' music while i am driving, especially not from another car
i dont think 50 is too bad. i usually have mine at 45 when listening to my ipod. this is while i am driving though. if i get caught at a light i do turn it down to around 25 which isnt that loud.
Old 10-17-08, 12:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Actually, present company excepted, when some creep pulls next to me and I can hear (and feel) the crap coming from his (usual) piece of junk, and my windows are closed, I lower my window, hit the classical station, and out-volume the cretin every time. To be forced to listen to scoop dog***** or some other sub-human degenerate just because traffic is stopped doesn't cut it.

LOL! How about playing Tchaikovsky's (sp?) "1812"? The cannons booming will have the cretins ducking for cover!
Old 10-17-08, 01:11 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

Not getting on your case personally, what what did you expect to happen, it's called quality of life and it's popular here in NYC. Bust someone for the minor violation as a reason to run their ID and hope that you come back with a bigger bust. At the very minimum, you create revenue for your city by issuing a ticket.
+1

I have a healthy disrespect for anyone who abuses power if that was the case with this situation, but I don't think so. In this case I have to weight in that YOU....yes "that" you to anyone in this situation, has got to think about where you are and act in line. If a cop sees a nice luxury sedan driving in a not so good neighborhood, with out of state plates to boot, he probably says to himself "hhmmm, this doesn fit." The next thing going through his mind is "does this guy look fishy? I just need an excuse to check this out...."

Tada!! you just got pulled over for playing loud music.

I think I might have been offended at the idea when I was a youger man, but now if someone comes walking through my neighborhood in saggy jeans and their hat turned sideways or for that matter someone walking a golden retriever I'd never seen before, I will watch them to figure out why they're there.

You shouldn't be that surprised you got pulled over.
Old 10-17-08, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man you guys are going to have ear drum factiques by 40 @_@

i am usually at 15 and at 25 it's unbearable sometimes already

sorry to hear about the ticket
Old 10-17-08, 01:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Ouch. The last time I played music loud was when i was 16

You will kick yourself in the butt later on when your ear drum decides they want to quit
Old 10-17-08, 05:54 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most places just say the music has to be able to be heard from X feet away. In CA, it's like 25 feet. That's actually pretty far cuz even if it's soft at that distance, if you're in the next lane over, the music can be pretty annoying. Especially if you're not into that music.

I think the justification is a safety thing to make sure you can hear sirens, people yelling at you to stop running over the old lady, etc.

Sucks about the ticket, but take it as a learning experience. I learned since before I had my license to shut the music off and roll down my windows (illegal front tint)the instant I see a cop. In driver's ed, they always tell you to scan, right? Well, I scan all right. For cops.
Old 10-17-08, 08:37 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<< teenager here

in florida i think its called disturbing the peace
not all cops are dicks about it but if you roll up in the nieghborhood at 4 in the morning with blasting music your in deep ish
Old 10-17-08, 10:49 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, doesn't everyone lower their radio when cops are around? Blasting it around is plain disrespect to the community and just begging for a ticket. sorry bro
Old 10-17-08, 11:20 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did the cop have a noise meter, ie, dB meter with him. Try the judge you have a hearing problem and teh radio wasnt that loud
Depends on exactly how the law is written. The law in our state they can ticket you if they can hear your music from 35 ft away. Now, I know it is still a subjective call, but it is much easier for the cop to say I was 1 block away and could hear the music than it would be for him to say I think it was about 100 dB
Old 10-19-08, 02:31 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

didnt know the radio can go all the way to 50. the fathest i go is usually around 40 or so. anything higher and my subs drown everything else out.
Old 10-19-08, 05:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've worked in media production all of my adult life, and my hearing is critical to my work. A few years of working sometimes in close proximity to jet engines and heavy ordinance began to affect my hearing years after my exposure. By the time I was 35 I was beginning to experience difficulty understanding people thanks to exposure to a few hours of rather intense sound pressure in my early twenties. You "hear" just fine, but the loss of some critical frequencies in the 3-5Khz range makes it difficult to distinguish consonants, and speech sometimes difficult to understand - particularly in a moderately noisy environment like a restaurant.

This kind of hearing loss is both incurable and untreatable - you have to learn to live with it. I sleep with a radio on every night to mask the 4-5 kHz scream in my ears that competes with every sound around me day and night. This is something you don't want.

Loud music, experienced near an outdoor stage, in a club, or in your car, will have similar long term effects on your hearing that will become a permanent part of your life. Your ears adapt to sound pressure. If you crank the volume up, in time it will sound normal to you. The danger is that music may well be the LAST clear sound you will ever hear. If you can't escape loud noises or music, consider wearing ear plugs when you attend concerts or club dates.
Old 10-19-08, 09:55 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jags300
I wasn't that far from him when he noticed me. I drove by him in opposing traffic, he made a U-turn and pulled me over. So I would say distance was about 10-15 feet.
Either your music was REALLY OBSCENELY loud, or he was looking to get you for something either way. Unless he wrote down the db level (which as far as I know they do have to do) it's just hear-say [lol, almost a joke rite there <<-]

Originally Posted by The G Man
Classical music at volume level 50, lol thats too funny.
I've definitely had classical music at a ridiculous level I'm helping the world enjoy some culture

Originally Posted by AM1
didnt know the radio can go all the way to 50.
1IS = no numerical rating associated with where the dial is
Old 11-02-08, 08:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I usually have my music set to 38-40 all of the time. I am surprised to see how low most of you guys ahve it at. I used to DJ so I have to feel my music, plus I am sure I have some hearing damage from my college days stereo system in my old prelude. 900 watts ina 2 seater prelude. All JL audio, polk audio, and pushed by fosgate amp

Quick Reply: Ticket for Loud Music!