Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you feel special driving an 'old' Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 09:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Having dinner conversation with some friends and cars became a topic. Primarily comparing various brands such as the Germans, Lexus ,etc and the overwhelming consensus of those in attendance was an old Lexus such as a GS400 (I mentioned I had one years ago), LS400, etc do not hold the same appeal as the German rivals have of the same years.
"A Mercedes is a Mercedes, but an old Lexus is just old " was pretty much getting tossed at me from various angles.

I threw out the typical responses expected of someone defending the marque but must add that there is a bit of truth in there. An older S class still has some presence whereas a GS or LS have none these days unless fixed up. We won't even get into what was said about the IS and ES.

I would not say they were hating on Lexus, just saying that the style of their cars come and go and not as timeless as the typical German car. . I'd still take a GS4 over any German rival of that era if I was looking for a sub 8k car, but curious what others run into out there.
Get new friends

If we look at a Lexus from the early 1990s before Benz/BMW/Audi got a clue, the difference in interiors and exteriors is pretty staggering. German cars had attached bumpers and black bumper moldings. They were as aerodynamic as a washer and dryer. The interiors were very old fashioned with no thought of the future.

Take a 1993 GS 300 and any 1993 E class or E34 5 series. The difference inside and out is ridiculous.

Germany clearly caught on FAST, with the next gens of cars etc getting better and better and more futuristic and more stylish.

It is CLEAR Lexus was the driving force behind German companies getting off their asses with design and features.

Now as for "appeal" I think there is some truth to what they are saying b/c when you think of an old BMW/Benz/AUdi, you think "heritage and status quo" even if its a crapbox. They have done very well (BMW/Benz in particular) protecting this "image" of superiority and they always advertise how their cars today are evolutions of cars past.

You rarely if ever see that with Lexus. When a new car debuts, that is a new car. Rarely does any press release mention an old car. Do we have one Lexus model lineage pic? The Germans constantly have pics where they show how a model has progressed over time. I think with a Lexus for most people, its about having the LATEST model, while with the Germans, many appreciate the older models.

My last thought is while the older German car may "appeal" more, it will need a lot more money to keep it running and in good shape compared to an older Lexus.

Old 10-19-08, 09:41 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Now as for "appeal" I think there is some truth to what they are saying b/c when you think of an old BMW/Benz/AUdi, you think "heritage and status quo" even if its a crapbox. They have done very well (BMW/Benz in particular) protecting this "image" of superiority and they always advertise how their cars today are evolutions of cars past.
Exactly. Keep in mind that my friends like most of your friends similar to a vast majority of society are not car experts and care less about car A being .1 quicker to 60 than car B or slalom testing. They don't care because it means nothing to them and frankly they probably think it is juvenile to be caught up on a stat difference so insignificant unless it had something to do with reliability or safety. One of them had a 318 a while back new and thought it was the greatest performance machine on the planet. We all know a Walmart shopping cart is faster but that meant little to her.

They get most of their information from commercials and word of mouth. Mercedes is always advertising their heritage as Mike stated. Lexus has very little of this. Ditto for Infiniti. Acura-have no clue what their advertising is directed at-always about people partying. Perhaps 20 years from now things will be different.

Perception is everything with folks. BTW, most of them do not own a higher end car. They could swing it I'm sure, a car is just a car to them and I respect that.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-19-08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-19-08, 04:26 PM
LexFather

Exactly. Keep in mind that my friends like most of your friends similar to a vast majority of society are not car experts and care less about car A being .1 quicker to 60 than car B or slalom testing. They don't care because it means nothing to them and frankly they probably think it is juvenile to be caught up on a stat difference so insignificant unless it had something to do with reliability or safety. One of them had a 318 a while back new and thought it was the greatest performance machine on the planet. We all know a Walmart shopping cart is faster but that meant little to her.

They get most of their information from commercials and word of mouth. Mercedes is always advertising their heritage as Mike stated. Lexus has very little of this. Ditto for Infiniti. Acura-have no clue what their advertising is directed at-always about people partying. Perhaps 20 years from now things will be different.

Perception is everything with folks. BTW, most of them do not own a higher end car. They could swing it I'm sure, a car is just a car to them and I respect that.
Agreed.......Funny I was reading BusinessWeek or one of my mags today and the first page is a 2 page 3 series foldout and they explain "34 years in the making"

I am a history buff, so it does appeal to me very much.

Old 10-19-08, 05:24 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we've got an 85 w123 benz and a 90 es250. es250s are getting pretty rare in such condition- but the w123 turbodiesels are out there in enough number to still be recognizable because those damn engines last forever.

meanwhile, we often hear "is that really a lexus?" when the es250 hits the town.

gotta say though, driving the benz is like driving in a pile of bricks on wheels. seriously, there is not a single special thing about it. the lexus is another story.
Old 10-19-08, 07:02 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

People went "gaga" over every Mercedes I drove from 1969 to 1990: the slow little '56 190SL 2-seater, a '73 450SEL extended wheelbase sedan, and a '79 240D mid-size sedan.

I remember when Car and Driver had an article in 1979 that called the 450SEL the best car in the world. Suddenly, I couldn't drive the 450SEL anywhere without every 16 year old kid around lurking and gawking at it -- a few almost crashed into me while driving near me. It was really fun to see a bunch of kids get excited over my then 6 year old Mercedes.

Even the pathetically slow 240D I drove through the 80s got lots of attention. It was really a crappy car - horrible build quality -- but people still thought it was cool.

I was relieved when I got rid of the Mercedes and bought a Lexus LS400 in early 1990. Sure, the LS400 got some attention the first year or two, but after that few people seemed to notice it. I really liked having a "stealth" nice car.

The only car I've owned that really had what I would call "presence" was the Mercedes 450SEL. The thing seemed huge -- even the steering wheel. The driver's seat was big enough to fit the largest *** on the planet. I loved the way cool air was routed through all the little perforations in the doors. It felt very impressive to drive -- like piloting a ship.

My 1990 LS400 felt a little like a miniature 450SEL. My 2000 LS400 feels much more like the 450SEL than the 90 LS did -- maybe because the 2000 LS400 has lots more rear seat room than the 90 LS400.

Where was I going with all this ...

I guess I would have to answer ... No, I do not feel "special" driving my old 2000 LS400. But the 00 LS is very nice, painless and pleasant car and I will be driving it for quite a few more years.
Old 10-19-08, 10:28 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 4 old lexus's (at least 5 years old from purchase) a 94 GS300 (which got a ton of attention from girls when I was in highschool) a 02 IS300 (which got a ton of attention from ricers so I traded it for...) a 99 LS400 (stealth to the extreme, my parents asked "why did you buy an old mans car?) now I have a spectra blue GS400 and a black W126 420SEL.

When my GS was stock it was invisible, even though it had the yellow fogs and HID's no one really cared. Even with the great color it still started looking dated, the tail lights, the running lights, the ride height, the outdated wheels... Now once I started doing stuff to it started turning heads, and people would always ask me what year it was and i'd say "98" and often times people would say "08? Wow that looks good!" which might just be people from minnesota but whatever.

Now my 126 on the other hand, still looked like a champ at 22 years old, it ran great and people would definitely would stare, not so much adults but younger kids and newer S class drivers. When I drove it from cali to minnesota just on the way alone I got a nod from a 220 driver, and a thumbs up from a really old guy in a silver S550. It didn't feel like a old car in the "dated" sense, it felt like an old comfortable pair of jeans, one you've broken in perfectly. I mean come on, 22 years old and the digital outside temp gauge still worked at 220,000 miles, you gotta hand it to them.

I drive a Lexus because they were the kick in the *** Mercedes needed to build awesome cars again like my SEL, and I put a chevy motor in that because thats America's contribution; good, cheap, reliable motors. In my opinion mercedes builds the best cars in the world, but Lexus builds a car better. I didn't buy my GS cause I couldn't afford a E class; I bought it because I like those fancy toy-ootahs!

Last edited by BigVIPness; 10-19-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 05:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Primarily comparing various brands such as the Germans, Lexus ,etc and the overwhelming consensus of those in attendance was an old Lexus such as a GS400 (I mentioned I had one years ago), LS400, etc do not hold the same appeal as the German rivals have of the same years.
"A Mercedes is a Mercedes, but an old Lexus is just old " was pretty much getting tossed at me from various angles.
My neighbor has 5 old Mercedes ranging in ages of about 4 years to about 25 years.

The one that's 4 years old (E500) is nice. The rest seem REALLY old and frankly, crappy. They may be 'solidly built' but the steering, handling, engines, all feel like crap. Ain't nothing "special" about driving one of them!
Old 10-20-08, 11:06 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i feel special because i know i'm driving one of the best built cars ever made. that's really what it's about. not the perception or the year of the car but how it compares to an equivalent car of hte same vintage.
of course with mine looking the way it looks , people really have no idea what year it is or even what kind of car it is but they do stare!
Old 10-20-08, 12:16 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Im not sure they are "special" per se either but I do enjoy driving them and for very different reasons.

I have a 92 Sc400 and a 92 500e and hands down the MB always gets the stares over the SC. Granted the 500 has been modded a bit with wheels and suspension but its finish is tired (read...needs a detailing not fading paint) and STILL gets looks, pics taken and always questions asked in the parking lots. I love the 500e and for those that said that they lack handling, steering, performance or are dated my 92 500e still hangs with the best of them and with today's cookie cutter performance sedans its nice to have something thats different on the road.
Old 10-20-08, 11:37 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel very special when I drive my 'old' Lexus...
Old 10-21-08, 01:04 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked the 1SCxxx. i know it's nothing special to other people but drivng my SC puts a smile on my face. I know it's not going to be a classic but I just like the fact that i own Lexus' first gen coupe
Old 10-21-08, 04:45 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheKevin
I've always liked the 1SCxxx. i know it's nothing special to other people but drivng my SC puts a smile on my face. I know it's not going to be a classic but I just like the fact that i own Lexus' first gen coupe
Still looks better than the SC430 and up and comming IS250 vert
Old 10-28-08, 10:02 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think older germs like this old SL has a chance against some of the SC' or other models around here

Old 10-28-08, 10:48 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheKevin
Yes, yes, and yes! The 1SC is a timeless car in so many ways!

Long gone are the days of the sexy long hood, and doors so heavy everyone who tries closing them fails the first time!

I miss her old look...almost 9 years old!