Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota already updating Venza for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 01:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota already updating Venza for 2010

Toyota Doesn't Want You To Think of Venza as a CUV, Will Lower Ground Clearance

DETROIT - Toyota wanted its new Camry-based Venza to run for Motor Trend's 2009 Car of the Year. Senior editor Ron Kiino compared its ground clearance numbers with other crossovers, and in the end, we Motor Trend editors decided it should compete for this year's Sport/Utility of the Year. Because Toyota wouldn't agree to that, the Venza did not compete at all.

Toyota won't take this disagreement sitting down. It figures the SUV craze is pretty much over, whether gas is $4.25/gal or $2.89/gal. Sales are sliding, when compared with cars, for the huge and growing fleet of crossovers, including Toyota's own three-row Highlanders and RAV4s.

So Toyota will lower the Venza for 2010, only its second model year. (It goes on sale before the end of 2008 as an '09 model.) Based on the Camry sedan, but with some Highlander parts, the Venza's 8.1-in. ground clearance tops the Infiniti EX's (5.7 to 6.5 in.), the Chevy Traverse's (7.2 in.) and the VW Tiguan's (6.9).
2009 Toyota Venza rear three quarter view

It won't be enough to make the Venza a car. The '10 model will be lowered about 0.8 in., so at 7.3, its ground clearance remains in SUV territory. Toyota figures it will give the crossover a more carlike appearance, making it a kind of modern wagon or large D-segment hatchback, two identifiers that haven't moved much metal in the U.S. recently.

Toyota may do this only with the front-drive version of the Venza, as the AWD's hardware may be hard to package at a lower ride height. Even if it's just the FWD version, that's likely to make up a majority of Venza sales. Chevrolet expects to sell about 65% of its new Traverses with FWD, for example. But then, Chevy isn't trying to pass off the Traverse as a car.

To the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the '10 Venza will still be a truck -- it doesn't need to meet all eight of NHTSA's criteria to be grouped in with other trucks for Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards. Remember, Chrysler got the PT Cruiser and Dodge Magnum classified as trucks, thanks largely to their flat load floors, to help balance out Hemi Rams and Durangos for CAFE. Optional rear privacy glass is the telltale sign.

Do you think this ploy will help Toyota move the Venza as a car? I don't. It still quacks just like a crossover sport/utility vehicle.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6307749/...nce/index.html
Old 10-19-08, 02:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it lower. I'd probably lower it even more to get rid of that fender well gap. Ground clearance is over rated in all but the most hard core off road SUVs. If you don't drive your SUV off road you don't need anything higher than typical car ground clearance.
Old 10-19-08, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Toyota wanted its new Camry-based Venza to run for Motor Trend's 2009 Car of the Year.

Motor Trend editors decided it should compete for this year's Sport/Utility of the Year.

Toyota may do this only with the front-drive version of the Venza, as the AWD's hardware may be hard to package at a lower ride height.

Thanks, Motor Trend, for possibly screwing up........or helping to eliminate.......what WOULD have been one of the Subaru Outback's true AWD car-based wagon competitors at a more or less comparable price.

The Volvo XC70 and Audi All-Road are both far more expensive than the Outback, and the Ford Taurus X Wagon is mechanically similiar and priced, but substantially larger.

I dumped my subscrition to this magazine years ago. Just one more reason why.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-19-08, 02:23 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can see a Lexus version of this to compete with the Mercedes R Class
Old 10-19-08, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
A Lexus version? Maybe......but it is physically smaller in size than the R Class. And the R-Class itself may not be around much longer in the American market......it has been a sales flop even WITHOUT competition (the Chrysler Pacifica has been gone for a year).
Old 10-19-08, 02:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lexus won't compete in the cute ute class and surely won't compete in the complete dud van class.

I haven't seen one of these yet? Are they even on dealer lots?

Toyota, what a feeling....of blah

Old 10-19-08, 03:15 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did someone say lower?

Old 10-19-08, 03:24 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

There was a Venza at the OC Auto Show. I liked it and I pretty much hate SUVs. Lower is better. As for a Lexus version, it's hard to see the need for that. The Venza at the auto show was quite nice inside and didn't need much.
Old 10-19-08, 03:27 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it have been that hard to make a Camry wagon, the 5series/Eclass/A6 all come in wagon version but way more pricier, when are they gonna tap that market.

From what I have read about this car, it sounds like a Highlander with a somewhat Camry looking front end
Old 10-19-08, 03:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AzNLeX350
Did someone say lower?

See, I'd buy that now
Old 10-19-08, 03:32 PM
LexFather

Why does seemingly every new car have to have a front end like Chewbacca's face?

Old 10-19-08, 04:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;3932018]Why does seemingly every new car have to have a front end like Chewbacca's face?

I agree about the front ends and especially the grills of many new cars. Honda/Acura grills look terrible, but if you put a decent grill on it the cars look alright. I don't like the Camry integrated grill bumper and this cars grill either. Grills supposed to be a part of the front end style, not the entire front end nor should it be the very first thing you see. Why are manufacturers making grills so damn bling and big?
Old 10-19-08, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I haven't seen one of these yet? Are they even on dealer lots?
If Toyota keeps the plans for an AWD version (see my first response above) I'm going to check one out for a possible but unlikely purchase myself, especially if Subaru screws up the new 2010 Outback like they did the new Forester.

And, yes, if I look at one and drive it, I'll do a full review. In the meantime, if you get a chance to see and drive one, at least give us a brief report.
Old 10-19-08, 04:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got to say that I am very excited about this car. Seems right sized, right priced, well packaged, and well executed. I think this will be a huge hit for Toyota.
Old 10-19-08, 04:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks better lowered. Part of it could be the springs needed to support the vehicle and the 20" rims (does that make sense or am I talking out of my....???)

Quick Reply: Toyota already updating Venza for 2010