Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura confirms plans for a future V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 09:56 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The interesting thing about this, to me, is the "18 Months" part. Exactly what does Acura have to put a V8 into within a year and a half?

The MDX is getting refreshed in just a few months, the RL just did get refreshed, the TL is all new. RDX and TSX are out obviously.

Seems kind of odd to think that they would retool either the RL or MDX to accommodate a V8 at the middle/end of their life cycles.
The current RL debuted as a 2005 model. So the V8 would probably go into the redesigned 2011 RL, which would come out in 2010.
Old 10-20-08, 10:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The interesting thing about this, to me, is the "18 Months" part. Exactly what does Acura have to put a V8 into within a year and a half?.
In a year and a half, it would be spring 2010, that would qualify as an early 2011 model for that new, large luxury sedan maybe ???
A new, large luxury sedan, due out in 2011 or 2012, may be fitted with a V-8. But Acura's 18-month pledge to its retailers at the April meeting suggests the engine may be available sooner.
Old 10-20-08, 10:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The 18 month part might be their way of hedging their bets. If the economy doesn't improve and gas prices remain high, they may decide the V8 isn't needed.
Old 10-20-08, 10:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Acura needs to focus on creating a generation of the RL that actually sells well, before considering LS/S territory. They need to grow the rest of their product line before they start shooting that high.
Old 10-20-08, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol paul is funny and if they make a v8 fwd, that could be really epic, hahaha

about the 18 months? seriously, i don't dare to put a time line on honda/acura anymore
Old 10-20-08, 12:25 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, this thought has been kind of running through my mind looking at Acura threads and reading page-after-page in the NSX thread, but does anyone really care about Acura anymore? I know I dont... If it took them this long to realize they need a V8 to compete, but still havent realized RWD would be nice too, seems kind of funny to me... Who knows, in 18 months maybe Acura will be forgotten all together! haha Acura = Big Bad Wolf vs Brick House - lots of huffing and puffing (maybe too much huffing and puffing) all for nothing!
Old 10-20-08, 01:00 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Hey, this thought has been kind of running through my mind looking at Acura threads and reading page-after-page in the NSX thread, but does anyone really care about Acura anymore? I know I dont... If it took them this long to realize they need a V8 to compete, but still havent realized RWD would be nice too, seems kind of funny to me... Who knows, in 18 months maybe Acura will be forgotten all together! haha Acura = Big Bad Wolf vs Brick House - lots of huffing and puffing (maybe too much huffing and puffing) all for nothing!
A lot of you certainly appear to want Acura to fail miserably, but I for one want them to get their act together and get back into the market segment they once pioneered for the japanese industry.
Old 10-20-08, 01:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Someone bump my Legend GS thread, back when Acura was a brand they stood for something and didn't all resemble wrecked starship troopers.
To say nothing of their oddball steering wheels.

Acura's biggest mistakes: Eliminating the CL and RSX and Type R brands (and me in the process).
Old 10-20-08, 01:34 PM
LexFather

The only people that care about Acura are die hard sheep and me If you haven't read they have the worst brand image in America among car makers. When u mention Acura in 2008, the first car that comes to mind is a 1988 or 1993 Legend. The Legend still overshadows the brand. You might be lucky to hear TL or MDX.

Originally Posted by Burnaby
To say nothing of their oddball steering wheels.

Acura's biggest mistakes: Eliminating the CL and RSX and Type R brands (and me in the process).
They have awful brand management. The CL was a nice car but coupes need to be stylish. The CL had the style of a Ford 500. They then state they will discontinue the popular RSX b/c they want a better image and get rid of 4 cylinders. Then they bring a 4 cylinder TSX and a 4 cylinder RDX. lol.

They will never be able to brush off the image of all those integras and RSXs sold. Sorry. They shouldn't have had them in the first place. Since they did have them, they should have kept them. Very loyal owners and they are very young, who might just move up in the brand.

They got rid of all their coupes, the CL, RSX and NSX.

Originally Posted by leedogg
A lot of you certainly appear to want Acura to fail miserably, but I for one want them to get their act together and get back into the market segment they once pioneered for the japanese industry.
What? Acura HAS failed miserably. They are a complete after-thought as an entry level lux brand. They have simply proven me right over the years that they are clueless.

Now they decide to add ugly to clueless. Lincoln, Volvo, Caddy, INfiniti, Hyundai with the Genesis> Acura, let alone Audi, Lexus, BMW, Benz.

The 4th gen TL forum is dead, there are maybe 2 owners on there. Its basically full with 3rd gen owners who think worse about Acura's direction than we do.

Acura figures out after 20 years "yeah, we need a V-8". Someone is getting paid to make that statement and make that decision?

Old 10-20-08, 04:56 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

The only people that care about Acura are die hard sheep and me If you haven't read they have the worst brand image in America among car makers. When u mention Acura in 2008, the first car that comes to mind is a 1988 or 1993 Legend. The Legend still overshadows the brand. You might be lucky to hear TL or MDX.

They have awful brand management. The CL was a nice car but coupes need to be stylish. The CL had the style of a Ford 500. They then state they will discontinue the popular RSX b/c they want a better image and get rid of 4 cylinders. Then they bring a 4 cylinder TSX and a 4 cylinder RDX. lol.

They will never be able to brush off the image of all those integras and RSXs sold. Sorry. They shouldn't have had them in the first place. Since they did have them, they should have kept them. Very loyal owners and they are very young, who might just move up in the brand.

They got rid of all their coupes, the CL, RSX and NSX.

What? Acura HAS failed miserably. They are a complete after-thought as an entry level lux brand. They have simply proven me right over the years that they are clueless.

Now they decide to add ugly to clueless. Lincoln, Volvo, Caddy, INfiniti, Hyundai with the Genesis> Acura, let alone Audi, Lexus, BMW, Benz.

The 4th gen TL forum is dead, there are maybe 2 owners on there. Its basically full with 3rd gen owners who think worse about Acura's direction than we do.

Acura figures out after 20 years "yeah, we need a V-8". Someone is getting paid to make that statement and make that decision?

oh please. I'm sure there are a couple other car manufacturers in greater danger of going under than Acura. Thanks for proving my point though.
Old 10-20-08, 06:10 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No one has said anything about Acura going under. They have failed to do anything substantial after the Integra/RSX. I think after that era went away so did most of their audience and they failed to realize where their market went and what they wanted. IMO for what they are Acura is simply over-priced throughout the line-up for what they offer; I would pretty much be willing to bet that you can find a better vehicle somewhere at a better price than what you'd get for any given Acura.

In all fairness, 1Sick, that 4 cylinder they put into the RDX was, after all, a turbo 4 cylinder... haha I agree though, when I was younger I actually WANTED an Acura - and that Acura was a Legend coupe, well and an NSX but that was way out my range at that time. Integras/RSXs were mildly interesting until everyone and their mothers (literally) had one; though an ITR is a different story.
Old 10-20-08, 06:55 PM
LexFather

No one has said anything about Acura going under. They have failed to do anything substantial after the Integra/RSX. I think after that era went away so did most of their audience and they failed to realize where their market went and what they wanted. IMO for what they are Acura is simply over-priced throughout the line-up for what they offer; I would pretty much be willing to bet that you can find a better vehicle somewhere at a better price than what you'd get for any given Acura.

In all fairness, 1Sick, that 4 cylinder they put into the RDX was, after all, a turbo 4 cylinder... haha I agree though, when I was younger I actually WANTED an Acura - and that Acura was a Legend coupe, well and an NSX but that was way out my range at that time. Integras/RSXs were mildly interesting until everyone and their mothers (literally) had one; though an ITR is a different story.
Exactly, no one said anything about them going under. THough if they did, no one would really miss it. Yes the RDX is a turbo, it gets V-8 economy with the speed of a V-6. Yeah. They weren't even smart enough to fit the intercooler in FRONT of the engine so they could somehow fit it in the TSX.

Originally Posted by leedogg
oh please. I'm sure there are a couple other car manufacturers in greater danger of going under than Acura. Thanks for proving my point though.
The only thing proven is Acura's track record. I never said they are going under and they are not going under from a bankruptcy standpoint.
They are a complete luxury afterthought and a brand for loyal Honda owners to move up to. Thanks for proving MY point.

This is not the Acura we knew in the 1990s. Man up and admit "acura is freaking lost right now".

The HYUNDAI GENESIS, a HYUNDAI > Acura. So what you can get some cute NAV and SH-AWD no owners use or go to the track with.

In 20 years, we have seen Acura become the first luxury branded badge from Japan and now get passed by every luxury car company outside of Saab.

Hyundai is laughing right now.

If you are going to come and just defend a brand that can't even defend itself, please be their court jester.

Old 10-20-08, 07:07 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly, no one said anything about them going under. THough if they did, no one would really miss it. Yes the RDX is a turbo, it gets V-8 economy with the speed of a V-6. Yeah. They weren't even smart enough to fit the intercooler in FRONT of the engine so they could somehow fit it in the TSX.

I agree. The RDX is plenty fast, but terrible, terrible fuel economy. Honda could learn a thing or two from the Audi 2.0TFSI powerplant. Powerful and fuel efficient.

With that said, I think the new TL, while ugly, is a very aggresive car. Yes, we can talk about Hyundai all we want, but Hyundai has yet to prove themselves as a company that can manufacture a true luxury drivers car. Acura does that pretty well. I mean, they already out-Audi-ed Audi Quattro with their SH-AWD torque-vectoring system. May not be the best for snow, but it's a very good performance system at the very least. I don't see a system like that in a Hyundai. I just think you're taking unneccesary jabs at Acura. Their TL has always been a great seller, so too as the MDX. Maybe not this current year/quarter/day, but I'm talking over the last 5-7 years. They are in no danger of "going under" or anything.

As far as Acura v. Audi/BMW/Mercedes, they do ok for the segments they are in. The TL has always outsold the A4, the MDX has certainly outsold the X5. Plus, they bring a quality that the Germans have yet to master - low ownership costs. Mainstream American buyers have no real problems with Acura on a whole. True they don't compete with an S or E class Mercedes-Benz, but then again, at least they aren't trying to. The RL is a grear car, solidly built, many exotic materials for a car (aluminum), and the interior quality is very good. Still, the powerplant and styling ruins the sales numbers.

Last edited by FKL; 10-20-08 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 07:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
I agree. The RDX is plenty fast, but terrible, terrible fuel economy. Honda could learn a thing or two from the Audi 2.0TFSI powerplant. Powerfull and fuel efficient.

With that said, I think the new TL, while ugly, is a very aggresive car. Yes, we can talk about Hyundai all we want, but Hyundai has yet to prove themselves as a company that can manufacture a true luxury drivers car. Acura does that pretty well. I mean, they already out-Audi-ed Audi Quattro with their SH-AWD torque-vectoring system. May not be the best for snow, but it's a very good performance system at the very least. I don't see a system like that in a Hyundai.
The majority of luxury cars sold are RWD throughout the world. AWD is a great feature to have but in America, it seems to be some "panic" mode sales device. Nothing snow tires can't fix in most cases.

AWD also adds weight and complexity, thus hurting MPG. I commend Acura for making SH-AWD optional on the TL though, I just don't know how many people willl spend 40k on a TL, especially one that looks like a giant Megatron turd.

Many Acura faithful asked for a RWD or AWD TL, they got a AWD TL and they made it huge and made it so ugly, hardly anyone wants to move up to it.

They killed what could have been a no brainer.

Old 10-20-08, 07:52 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol paul is funny and if they make a v8 fwd, that could be really epic, hahaha
:cough: New Impala SS :cough:

Quick Reply: Acura confirms plans for a future V8