Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura confirms plans for a future V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-08, 09:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Acura confirms plans for a future V8

Honda's Fukui favors fed loans, confirms V-8

TOKYO — Honda Motor Co. CEO Takeo Fukui says he's fine with direct loans from the U.S. government to the Detroit 3. Meanwhile, he will fortify the Acura brand with a new V-8.

"I think it's only natural that the U.S. government tries to provide some support to U.S. manufacturers," Fukui said last week in an interview, referring to $25 billion in government-backed loans for U.S. automakers.

Foreign automakers building cars in the United States also are eligible for the loans. But Fukui said Honda has no intention of seeking any: "At this point in time, no."

Fukui supports the loans partly because he fears a backlash against Japanese automakers if an American rival goes under. But the loans also will help Honda suppliers, he said. "It's not just that the help is only being provided to American manufacturers. If I consider all the parts and components manufacturers, that would not be only U.S. companies," Fukui said.

Separately, he confirmed plans for Honda to launch its first V-8 engine in an Acura. Fukui said Acura, with U.S. sales down 15.3 percent through September, needs something extra under the hood, especially in its flagship RL sedan. "I don't think that the Acura RL 3.7-liter is sufficient. We can't compete with other premium brands."

The upcoming engine will "be completely different from conventional, past-generation ones and have excellent fuel efficiency," he said.
LOS ANGELES — Acura dealers say they have been told that Acura will offer a V-8 engine option within 18 months.

"It's confirmed," says Dave Conant, principal owner of the multibrand Conant Auto Retail Group in Cerritos, Calif., which includes one Acura dealership.

Dealers say an eight-cylinder is a must for Acura to compete against luxury brands such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

"To elevate the brand, they've got to have" a flagship sedan with an eight-cylinder engine, says Mark McKellop, general manager of Acura of Mission Viejo in suburban Los Angeles. The store is part of the Conant group.

Honda has long talked about making Acura a top-tier luxury brand. At a dealers' meeting in April, Acura "put the stake in the ground" and made it official, says Jeff Conrad, vice president of the Acura division at American Honda Motor Co.

But Conrad would not confirm that a V-8 is coming. Instead, he said Acura looks "pretty smart" for not having big engines in times of high fuel prices.

A new, large luxury sedan, due out in 2011 or 2012, may be fitted with a V-8. But Acura's 18-month pledge to its retailers at the April meeting suggests the engine may be available sooner.

"Dealers have been led to believe the next RL would have a V-8," says John Hawkins, president of Great Metro Autogroup in suburban Los Angeles. Great Metro includes one Acura dealership.

A redesigned RL is due in 2010, dealers say. A reskinned RL went on sale this summer with a 300-hp, 3.7-liter, V-6, the most powerful engine ever for an Acura sedan.
Old 10-19-08, 09:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

"I don't think that the Acura RL 3.7-liter is sufficient. We can't compete with other premium brands."
straight from the horse's mouth
Old 10-19-08, 09:36 PM
LexFather

Who cares. I mean they are over 20 years late. They can't even sell a V-6 RL, so who is going to buy a V-8 RL? Mugen Civic faithful?

On top of that its not like the competition has stayed still. Even Volvo has a V-8 and Hyundai does. Lexus and Infiniti have multiple V-8s, so does BMW and Benz and Audi.

Honda "saying" we will have a V-8 is news?

THen, they keep TALKING and not producing.

Have we ever seen such useless press from such a lifeless brand? Amazing!

Someone bump my Legend GS thread, back when Acura was a brand they stood for something and didn't all resemble wrecked starship troopers.

Old 10-19-08, 10:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well they can be late by 20 yrs (and indeed), but i also think if honda wants to catch up, they can do it. it's a lot of work, but they need to start. now we have heard it spoken (again), so we will see when it's getting into reality
Old 10-19-08, 11:53 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

How long until Acura realizes they need to eliminate the new grills on their cars? The Acura TL has always been an physically attractive car, but now it looks like a fat bird with a bionic nose.

Atleast they got the V8 part down for the RL and an AWD option for the TL, but at the rate they are going, it will be a long time before they are a serious competitor with BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.
Old 10-20-08, 12:25 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's possible, though not terribly probable. The guys at Honda seem to 'confirm' lots of things & yet somehow, these things never make it to a place people can purchase them.
Old 10-20-08, 12:35 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

fwd V8? :P
Old 10-20-08, 12:48 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

ah.. i believe it when I see it.
Old 10-20-08, 05:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Dealers say an eight-cylinder is a must for Acura to compete against luxury brands such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW.
Edited for truth:

Dealers say an eight-cylinder is a must for Acura to compete against luxury brands such as Hyundai and Infiniti.
Old 10-20-08, 05:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Edited for truth:

Acura should change their symbol to this.

Old 10-20-08, 05:52 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

At this point I really don't care. Acura should have produce a V8 10 years ago. I always like Acura but their exterior design today is a complete turn off.
Old 10-20-08, 08:14 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Didn't we get the same news a year ago?
Old 10-20-08, 08:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If/when they do offer a V8, if it's relatively fuel efficient, they can use it in the Honda Pilot & Ridgeline and Acura MDX.
Old 10-20-08, 09:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So much for all the Honda supporters saying "they don't need a V8". Honda themselves now admit FINALLY, after many years that a V6 in this market is not enough.

As for the V8 itself, I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10-20-08, 09:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interesting thing about this, to me, is the "18 Months" part. Exactly what does Acura have to put a V8 into within a year and a half?

The MDX is getting refreshed in just a few months, the RL just did get refreshed, the TL is all new. RDX and TSX are out obviously.

Seems kind of odd to think that they would retool either the RL or MDX to accommodate a V8 at the middle/end of their life cycles.

Quick Reply: Acura confirms plans for a future V8