Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does Lexus Pursuits Visa still offer 5000 points for 1st purchase? Is card worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 03:08 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does Lexus Pursuits Visa still offer 5000 points for 1st purchase? Is card worth it?

I got the Lexus magazine a few days ago. (tossed it after reading it)

I seem to recall there was an offer for the "Lexus Pursuits Visa Card"
which offered 5000 bonus points for first purchase after you get the card.

Is this offer still valid? If so, how do I get it? I went to the usual
Lexus Financial page, but the Visa card application on that page
doesn't say anything about the 5000 bonus points...

By the way, is this card worth getting?

any info/opinions appreciated!
Old 10-21-08, 03:21 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
I got the Lexus magazine a few days ago. (tossed it after reading it)

I seem to recall there was an offer for the "Lexus Pursuits Visa Card"
which offered 5000 bonus points for first purchase after you get the card.

Is this offer still valid? If so, how do I get it? I went to the usual
Lexus Financial page, but the Visa card application on that page
doesn't say anything about the 5000 bonus points...

By the way, is this card worth getting?

any info/opinions appreciated!
IMHO it is worth it any points you get can be redeemed for free service. Not really thinking I paid for my first service which was small anyway. Points paid my 25,000 and 30,000 mile service. The 35,000 mile service I paid for because I had new tires put on with alignment. So now the next several services are free again redeem points.
Old 10-21-08, 03:44 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by herbvdh
IMHO it is worth it any points you get can be redeemed for free service. Not really thinking I paid for my first service which was small anyway. Points paid my 25,000 and 30,000 mile service. The 35,000 mile service I paid for because I had new tires put on with alignment. So now the next several services are free again redeem points.
Thanks... can you tell me a little more about how that would work?

my Lexus dealer chargeds only $475 for the 30,000-mile service. Assuming I get the Lexus Visa card, I'll receive 2375 points, which is only worth $23.... how does that pay for my next service?
Old 10-21-08, 03:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you sure it's 5000 points with ANY purchase? or purchase of a lexus? at least that's what happened last year when they had the deal

and yes i think it's worth getting the card. to me applying cc won't affect my credit at all, and last year alone buying 2 lexus i got over 750 dollars of credit on my lexus visa for services. really can't beat that
Old 10-21-08, 03:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

my Lexus dealer chargeds only $475 for the 30,000-mile service. Assuming I get the Lexus Visa card, I'll receive 2375 points, which is only worth $23.... how does that pay for my next service?
well when you pay for the service at the cashier, just tell them you want to use the points and they will deduct it from teh card first. and then the balance you can pay with the lexus visa again if you want.
Old 10-21-08, 06:11 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get points any time you use the card outside of Lexus also if I am not mistaken you get 1 or 1.5 points on a dollar (I may be wrong if so someone correct me) my bill is not in front of me now.If you use it as your primary VISA the points will add up.
Old 10-21-08, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by herbvdh
You get points any time you use the card outside of Lexus also if I am not mistaken you get 1 or 1.5 points on a dollar (I may be wrong if so someone correct me) my bill is not in front of me now.If you use it as your primary VISA the points will add up.
yes, you get points outside of dealerships as well. i think it's 1 point per dollar

we don't use it outside of lexus though, it doesn't make sense coz' the reward is not close to be as good as others. we have our dedicate cards for gas, grocery, etc... where we get 3% or more
Old 10-21-08, 06:41 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, you get points outside of dealerships as well. i think it's 1 point per dollar

we don't use it outside of lexus though, it doesn't make sense coz' the reward is not close to be as good as others. we have our dedicate cards for gas, grocery, etc... where we get 3% or more

okay... that makes sense... my AmEx gives me 3% for gas purchases....

I'll get a Lexus Visa card and use it when I bring my lexus in for service..
(essentially I'll be getting 5% back, right? )

I also bought a Toyota recently.... I wonder if the Lexus Visa card earns 5% at Toyota dealerships? (or do I need to apply for the Toyota Rewards Visa card?) Aren't the Lexus and Toyota cards both issued by the same company, Toyota Financial Services?
Old 10-21-08, 08:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also bought a Toyota recently.... I wonder if the Lexus Visa card earns 5% at Toyota dealerships? (or do I need to apply for the Toyota Rewards Visa card?) Aren't the Lexus and Toyota cards both issued by the same company, Toyota Financial Services?
Toyota has their own card, you don't get points for using the Lexus card there, or vice versa. Lexus card is issued by Lexus Financial Savings Bank, which I presume is linked somehow with Toyota Financial Services. One big happy family.

You get 5,000 points the first time you use the card, which essentially pays for an oil change/filter.

It seems to be a worthwhile card. I hardly spend any money at the Lexus dealer, so the 5X point multiplier doesn't mean much to me. I think most point cards are rackets anyway as most people aren't disciplined enough to stop charging stuff just to get extra points. Many studies been done on this effect, which is why cards push these programs. They aren't giving anything free away.

I applied online a couple of months ago and got approval with a $20,000 credit line.
Old 10-21-08, 09:07 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only 5k points?

How come my card has 500 dollars worth of points on there... and I have already used it for 3 oil changes....

SHhh don't tell on me please
Old 10-21-08, 09:47 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Toyota has their own card, you don't get points for using the Lexus card there, or vice versa. Lexus card is issued by Lexus Financial Savings Bank, which I presume is linked somehow with Toyota Financial Services. One big happy family.
Not "One big happy family".... it's one and the same... Same company
different names.(but in reality, a Lexus is a fancy version of Toyota)

I financed my Lexus at the Lexus dealer. I've been paying the monthly bills on Lexusfinancial.com website. When I bought my other car, a Toyota, last
year, I financed it at the Toyota dealer. Guess what, when I went to
Toyotafinancial.com to sign up for online payments, it already has my new
Toyota there.... so my Lexus and Toyota vehicles are together, showing on
one website... Strangely, when I paid off my Lexus earlier this year,
I continued to log in at Lexusfinancial.com website(to continue paying for
the Toyota vehicle)... it lets me log in with the same user ID and passport,
but the page automatically becomes Toyotafinancial.com.....
Old 10-21-08, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mikez
Only 5k points?

How come my card has 500 dollars worth of points on there... and I have already used it for 3 oil changes....

SHhh don't tell on me please
that's because they had much sweeter deal last year. i believe last year if you bought a lexus before nov something, you got 500 bucks credit in your account. not to mention i used my lexus visa to swipe part of my car, another couple 100 bucks. you get two cars... wala!
Old 10-22-08, 01:45 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

okay, now I'm puzzled...

I applied for the Lexus Pursuits Visa card on their website around lunchtime on Monday. I was approved online and it showed that I got a credit line of $xxxxx.

Today is Wednesday(about 48 hours later), I just checked my mail and my new Lexus visa card has been delivered..... regular first class mail.... but postmark showed that it came from 6 states away(or about 1500 miles from my home)

How do they do that?
Old 10-22-08, 03:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

2 days for delivery, it's not too bad?