Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura’s new X-6 rival crossover officially named ZDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09 | 03:13 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The thing is..how many people actually buy a car based on functionality alone? Form is becoming a big thing nowadays, especially with 'luxury' nameplates. They can serve purposes as long as your needs fit within the vehicle descriptions.

Why buy a sedan when a wagon will net you more function? Because you can still get by with a sedan..that's why. Same case for the X6/ZDX..you have more room, higher ground clearance, possibly an AWD-capability system, and believe it or not, some people actually like the design.
Maybe that's why the X6 is flying off the lots then.
Old 04-09-09 | 03:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Old 04-09-09 | 03:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by speedflex
Maybe that's why the X6 is flying off the lots then.
We cant base sales figure off of the X6's shape itself. It's the overall looks that may be scaring people off, but what if the X6 was actually designed beautifully? People will disregard the shape and concentrate more on the styling. After all, we take into consideration of the styling far more than the basic shape. If the X6/ZDX were designed nicer, you can bet they'll sell more. The CLS looks unconventional, but look how popular it is. You can thank styling, not the shape for that.

brb
Old 04-09-09 | 04:06 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Well, the CLS is a sedan after all...

So let's talk about X6.

I want performance: definitely not the X6 because any BMW sedans with sports package would handle better.

I want utility: X5 hands down

I want the interior space: X6 seats only 4, yeah, FOUR

I want cargo space: X5 or 5-wagon

I want the off-roading capability: Look outside BMW, try Land Rover or Land Cruiser/LX

I want an urban-going AWD because I live in the snow-belt: How about BMW AWD sedans or wagon? Oh, and there is Audi...

Hate to say this over and over but the X6 and this ZDX are "perfectly pointless" cars.
Old 04-09-09 | 05:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

You're making it too easy. You can create a scenario for any car out there and deem it pointless.

Someone may want the styling/performance/utility that the X6 has to offer. Some are willing to pay extra to get the higher output engine that the X5 doesn't offer. The X6 is suppose to be a 'coupe' of some sort. Having 4 seat is not useless, otherwise normal car coupes would be pointless too if the sedan offers more of almost everything. BUT people still continue to buy coupes because they prefer the styling over the sedan. This case is no different. Some are willing to sacrifice interior space/seating in order to get the X6 instead of the X5. It may be pointless to some, but it's a perfect vehicle for others. It's becoming a bandwagon of some sort to call the X6 'pointless' because most of the time its based on subjective views.
Old 04-09-09 | 07:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Calling these vehicles "useless" is just silly. There's no vehicle that does everything, so why must these match the utility of a conventional SUV? Every automobile forces you to compromise on something but in return you get something unique. There are many reasons why someone would choose an X6 or ZDX. Dare I say, I like the X6 more than the X5 and I think the X6 is BMW's best looking vehicle. Seriously. Most will disagree, but that's what makes us human. Anyway, how can companies ever explore new architecture if it is deemed unacceptable to try? Are we supposed to be stuck in a world where only the traditional body styles can be offered?

Old 04-09-09 | 09:28 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Well, the CLS is a sedan after all...

So let's talk about X6.

I want performance: definitely not the X6 because any BMW sedans with sports package would handle better.

I want utility: X5 hands down

I want the interior space: X6 seats only 4, yeah, FOUR

I want cargo space: X5 or 5-wagon

I want the off-roading capability: Look outside BMW, try Land Rover or Land Cruiser/LX

I want an urban-going AWD because I live in the snow-belt: How about BMW AWD sedans or wagon? Oh, and there is Audi...

Hate to say this over and over but the X6 and this ZDX are "perfectly pointless" cars.

I think the above reasoning is pretty representative of how the average buyer is thinking and why they balk at the X6. There are so many other vehicles which do the job better. The X6 shape is not only controversial but has a definite impact on the usability of the car. Whether the ZDX is successful remains to be seen but I think people will have the same confusion over it as well.

Last edited by speedflex; 04-09-09 at 09:31 PM.