Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura’s new X-6 rival crossover officially named ZDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 02:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I commend Acura for thinking to expand their lineup, and the MDX has been a brand-leader in sales for them. However, now they are going from MDX, to X3/EX competitor RDX, and now to X6 competitor 'GDX'? It's interesting but I'm not sure that is the best strategy--maybe the speculation of an X6 rival is off.

IMO, the RDX was in a niche market, and like the EX hasn't been lighting up the charts. Maybe for Europe it could do better, but Acura doesn't sell there. The X6 market also seems very niche to me, so going for that with this new vehicle may actually suffer from comparison with the MDX.

But then again, with this new SUV they could have a 3-SUV lineup like Lexus. Only the RDX is much smaller than the RX, and there is no full-size SUV.
Old 10-22-08, 02:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

BMW is selling 300-400 X6's per month. You'd think Acura would target a more mainstream model/segment where there is more sales volume.
Old 10-22-08, 02:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Yup, it is confirmed that they have a new beak in the works using this as a prototype:

What on earth is that ???
Old 10-22-08, 02:28 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another crossover/SUV/wagon thing from Honda/Acura, seems like they only know how to make this kind of vehicle now. And we need to wait so many years for a second gen NSX, but all these bull*****s just came out everywhere. Acura would never succeed ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD ANYTIME SOON.
Old 10-22-08, 03:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Another solution to a problem no one has.
Old 10-22-08, 04:59 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
I'm talking facts and you are speaking from emotion. They sold 476 X6's in September. Do the math.

-King Bimmer
I will. BMW has stated 20,000 X6s were PRE-SOLD its first year. Clearly they flat out lied. For one there are plenty available on dealer lots and hell check Autotrader.

Two, they have only sold 8,000+ to date and will probabaly sell about 11,000 its first 12 months. In other words like the Acura RDX and Infiniti EX, they are sales failures.

Speaking of the RDX being a sales failure you would think they would skip these niche markets. Instead, they go into another one.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
*sicklex packing up his things and running out the door*....mission accomplished................j/k, please don't ban me

I've seen 2 rdx and I think they're the same one.

Stupid acura management
The funny thing is I didn't have to lift a finger. I've been calling out Acura the past few years and they just continue to prove me right. Its hilarious.

The mole reported on his first day back "dude, we don't have to do ANYTHING, they are morons"

Old 10-22-08, 05:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

3,362 X6's were sold YTD thru September. That's an average of about 375 per month. If they sell that average thru the end of the year it'll be about 4,500 for the year.
Old 10-22-08, 07:22 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I will. BMW has stated 20,000 X6s were PRE-SOLD its first year. Clearly they flat out lied. For one there are plenty available on dealer lots and hell check Autotrader.

Two, they have only sold 8,000+ to date and will probabaly sell about 11,000 its first 12 months. In other words like the Acura RDX and Infiniti EX, they are sales failures.

Speaking of the RDX being a sales failure you would think they would skip these niche markets. Instead, they go into another one.

The funny thing is I didn't have to lift a finger. I've been calling out Acura the past few years and they just continue to prove me right. Its hilarious.

The mole reported on his first day back "dude, we don't have to do ANYTHING, they are morons"

Can you difinitively say that the 20,000 number wasn't Worldwide sales. Autotrader says that there are 260 X6's available in the US. That hardly is a lot considering they are selling well more than that each month. Please also realize it only has been on sale since April. Ask anyone who purchased on how long it took to get theirs. Very few people rolled up to dealerships and walked away with one. My dealership from April to September only had 2.

edit: At least 33 of those Autotrader listings are of used cars.

Last edited by KINGLEX; 10-22-08 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-22-08, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
Can you difinitively say that the 20,000 number wasn't Worldwide sales. Autotrader says that there are 260 X6's available in the US. That hardly is a lot considering they are selling well more than that each month. Please also realize it only has been on sale since April. Ask anyone who purchased on how long it took to get theirs. Very few people rolled up to dealerships and walked away with one. My dealership from April to September only had 2.

edit: At least 33 of those Autotrader listings are of used cars.
Worldwide or not, if they are sitting, they are not pre-sold. Yes I understand its from April, thus I said they are on pace for 11k sales for 12 months.

Sales will only decline after the first year, like most niche cars. I am not in here to debate the merits of the vehicle, just the sales of it.

Old 10-22-08, 08:01 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Worldwide or not, if they are sitting, they are not pre-sold. Yes I understand its from April, thus I said they are on pace for 11k sales for 12 months.

Sales will only decline after the first year, like most niche cars. I am not in here to debate the merits of the vehicle, just the sales of it.

You misundersood their statement. BMW AG does not sell cars to the general public in the US. They use a company called BMW NA, which in turn sells cars to independent dealers. The only BMW dealersip owned by BMW NA is BMW of Manhattan. The X6 has been sold out to independent dealers for quite some time. For all BMW's dealers get slots for production. The dealer has the choice of choosing options for that car. The dealer slots are what has been sold out. BMW NA and BMW AG are not responsible for taking cars that do not sell back, so when they say that they are presold that is what they are talking about. Any company that does wholesale will reflect their sales not retail sales, unless otherwise stated. Like when car companies report retail sales each month.

-King Bimmer
Old 10-22-08, 08:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think anything from lexus, acura , and infiniti is top notch. Bring it!! I cant wait to see it on the streets
Old 10-22-08, 08:54 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default dunno...

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
What on earth is that ???
I dont know what kind of bird it is but it is sure some kind of pet the engineers at Acura love to resemble.....
Old 10-23-08, 06:54 AM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think anything from lexus, acura , and infiniti is top notch. Bring it!! I cant wait to see it on the streets
Thats like saying everything from Ruth Chris, Wendy's 99 cents menu & McDonalds is top notch

Old 10-23-08, 07:15 AM
bboarder71
Driver School Candidate

I don't know why the X6 was built and I certainly dont know why it needs a competitor, Especially from Acura. They have enough ugly, ill performing cars right now. They should seriously take the time, money, and effort to improve what they already have.
Old 10-23-08, 08:41 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
I dont know what kind of bird it is but it is sure some kind of pet the engineers at Acura love to resemble.....
Hahahaha

...It's a Zeebu

Quick Reply: Acura’s new X-6 rival crossover officially named ZDX