Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 04:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice review. It's definitely a stunner and looks fantastic. I didn't see you mention the touch-sensitive maplights or glovebox. I thought the back seat was decent in terms of space and I agree that the wood looks fantastic. I also took a look at the colour palette and was amazed at how many colours you could paint your XF in!! Lexus could take a page out of that brochure. The price is also decent in Canada. $59k-$78k

Btw, I think it's X-Type and S-Type heh.
Old 10-24-08, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Nice review. It's definitely a stunner and looks fantastic. I didn't see you mention the touch-sensitive maplights or glovebox. I thought the back seat was decent in terms of space and I agree that the wood looks fantastic. I also took a look at the colour palette and was amazed at how many colours you could paint your XF in!! Lexus could take a page out of that brochure. The price is also decent in Canada. $59k-$78k
You're right. A couple of those touch-sensitive features may have gotten by me. I spent so much time deciphering the complex and quirky transmission, climate, and stereo controls that it took time away from some other things I might have been normally doing. That's why I like simple, easy-to-use controls like you find in most Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus.

Btw, I think it's X-Type and S-Type heh.
Yes...I have already noted that. Thanks.
Old 10-24-08, 09:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, what do you think about the comments on how the XF "copied" the profile of the current GS?

It's been noted in several reviews. Do you agree?
Old 10-25-08, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, what do you think about the comments on how the XF "copied" the profile of the current GS?

Yes and no. Everybody seems to be more or less copying everybody else nowadays.....swept-back aero-headlights, humpback-whale rooflines, C-pillar tuck-backs, metallic trim, low front air dams, rubber-band tires on huge wheels, and, of course, more and more outlandish grilles all the time. The XF, IMO, except for the extremely raked roofline and low-profile tires, is actually rather conservative...one of the reasons I like it. Jaguar has always had a knack for beautiful designs without trying to make them look like space-ships.
Old 10-25-08, 02:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I'd say it looks more like a 4-dr Aston Martin!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're right. A couple of those touch-sensitive features may have gotten by me. I spent so much time deciphering the complex and quirky transmission, climate, and stereo controls that it took time away from some other things I might have been normally doing. That's why I like simple, easy-to-use controls like you find in most Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus.
Ohh? Was it really that bad? I didn't play around with the climate control but I thought the dial was fairly simple. Did I miss something? Yeah they are easier to find. I find myself easier to adapt to a Japanese car (e.g. rental car) vs. a European or American car but again it might be because I'm not used to it vs. similarities between Japanese manufacturers? I'm not sure. I do wish that Toyota offer more illuminated switches. Granted, they may say it distracts the driver but honestly, illuminated passenger side switches for the window or door locks won't distract the driver (assuming non-AUTO since AUTO switches are illuminated)
Old 10-25-08, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I'd say it looks more like a 4-dr Aston Martin!
OK.........more or less. But see my comments above on everybody coping everybody else nowadays.

Ohh? Was it really that bad? I didn't play around with the climate control but I thought the dial was fairly simple. Did I miss something? Yeah they are easier to find. I find myself easier to adapt to a Japanese car (e.g. rental car) vs. a European or American car but again it might be because I'm not used to it vs. similarities between Japanese manufacturers? I'm not sure. I do wish that Toyota offer more illuminated switches. Granted, they may say it distracts the driver but honestly, illuminated passenger side switches for the window or door locks won't distract the driver (assuming non-AUTO since AUTO switches are illuminated)
Was it that bad? I guess it's a matter of what you are used to, but I find that, in general, I can climb into some cars, buckle up, adjust things, and take off with almost no study at all.....particularly lower-level Japanese, American, and Korean cars. Others, particularly upmarket European cars, are much quirkier, and take time to faimiliarize yourself with things. BMW's I-Drive, for example, I STILL have trouble with, even after driving numerous different BMW models over several years in static reviews and test-drives. It is, IMO, one of the quirkiest automotive devices ever invented..........and my opinion is not alone, even among professional test-drivers and auto-magazine writers.

On the illuminated window/door/mirror switches, I fully agree with you. That is important for night adjustments..........but something like that doesn't involve screwing around with a **** controller and scrolling through dozens of diffreent settings while you're trying to drive. It's just a quick glance at the lighted switch, hit it, and then put your eyes right back on the road and keep driving.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 09:12 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Was it that bad? I guess it's a matter of what you are used to, but I find that, in general, I can climb into some cars, buckle up, adjust things, and take off with almost no study at all.....particularly lower-level Japanese, American, and Korean cars. Others, particularly upmarket European cars, are much quirkier, and take time to faimiliarize yourself with things. BMW's I-Drive, for example, I STILL have trouble with, even after driving numerous different BMW models over several years in static reviews and test-drives. It is, IMO, one of the quirkiest automotive devices ever invented..........and my opinion is not alone, even among professional test-drivers and auto-magazine writers.

On the illuminated window/door/mirror switches, I fully agree with you. That is important for night adjustments..........but something like that doesn't involve screwing around with a **** controller and scrolling through dozens of diffreent settings while you're trying to drive. It's just a quick glance at the lighted switch, hit it, and then put your eyes right back on the road and keep driving.
I've only played with iDrive. I haven't tried COMAND or MMI controllers. Yet I was able to play around with the Honda, Toyota and Nissan touchscreen navs easily and find what I'm looking for. I think the European idea is that you can memorise the order of the menu easily so you can blindly find what you're looking for by counting the number of "clicks" you rotate the **** or something like that. For me, a touchscreen is just as easy cause I can remember the layout of the screen so I pre-select a button by placing my finger (resting on the base of the screen for stability) where I tihnk the button is, glance over to confirm, adjust if necessary and select the button.