Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drove a E55 AMG.....OMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 08:48 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Test Drove a E55 AMG.....OMG

So I had an important masters class to attend last night but on the way to school i stoped at a BMW dealership who had a E55 amg, prally a trade in. a friend of mine wants to buy it and he told me to take a look at it, paint, interiors, all.....
so i ask the guy for the keys to see the interior and take some pics for my friend. as i was getting out of the car, because i was running late for class. I said: " man i wish i would have time to drive or something" he said: "lets go"

I couldnt say no to driving a E55 aMG with like 500 HP. so class can wait.
So i turned this beast on and it sounds awesome. rev it up a couple of times and u can hear the supercharger wine up. ohhhhh.
well we go on the interstate and i take off from like 40 to 90 in no time. this this is ridiculously powerful. I took an exit and ran from 10-60 and the tires seem to be spinning all the way hehe. the TCS did all the adjusting for me.

I have to say It was quite an experience. Im not sure if I would buy a car like that used, because it doesnt have warranty anymore. If i had the money to buy it new, I migh do it, although i like the looks of the M5 better....

Although i was in love with sound and power, I have to say that I thought 500HP would feel faster.... I dont know why, maybe i was expecting too. much? or maybe because i rode in a Corvete 5oth anyversary once and felt a tad faster with less HP (i think)
but this thing runs like low 12's on the 1/4 mile. WOW.
I wonder how the M5 feels like.

Last edited by juice14; 10-23-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 08:56 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never driven an E55 AMG before but if the E63 AMG is a superior car to the E55 than there is nothing to write home about...
Old 10-23-08, 08:56 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

What a punk. Skipped class, rolls in an is350, and test drove the E55.
Old 10-23-08, 08:59 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ LOL.. punk indeed
Old 10-23-08, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. Glad you enjoyed it. Quite a car.

Here's a full-review I did of an E63 AMG last April.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rcedes+e63+amg
Old 10-23-08, 10:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Pretty much every V8 and V12 AMG engine is just indescribable in terms of pure power and torque. Next up you should try the 6.0L biturbo V12 they put out.

IIRC torque is somewhere in the low/mid 7xx range!

Originally Posted by ffpower
I've never driven an E55 AMG before but if the E63 AMG is a superior car to the E55 than there is nothing to write home about...
Why? Have you driven an E63 and walked away unimpressed?
Old 10-23-08, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, it's quite some cars. the tq on the 55 is insane compared to the new 63. and the car sounds so nice and go FAST
Old 10-23-08, 12:02 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is indeed a thrilling drive! If you have not driven an E class AMG car or any AMG car for that matter, you can get your opportunity here..

2008 MB AMG driving Event!
https://www.mbevents.com/faq.htm
Old 10-23-08, 12:13 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Pretty much every V8 and V12 AMG engine is just indescribable in terms of pure power and torque. Next up you should try the 6.0L biturbo V12 they put out.

IIRC torque is somewhere in the low/mid 7xx range!
It feels like God shoving you in the chest and squeezing your ***** at the same time. You'll have to pucker your ******* to stop from crapping your pants.

That's all i can say about flooring a SL65....
Old 10-23-08, 12:30 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

the E55 has more torque i think
Old 10-23-08, 12:32 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tzu911
What a punk. Skipped class, rolls in an is350, and test drove the E55.
Im not a punk for 2 reasons. I dont have an M3
and i still went to class. hehehe

Last edited by juice14; 10-23-08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 12:42 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Yes, I was unimpressed by the E63. Sure it has the power but the handling SUCKS. That car has the numbest steering I've ever experience in any of the performance-oriented cars.
Old 10-23-08, 12:52 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Yes, I was unimpressed by the E63. Sure it has the power but the handling SUCKS. That car has the numbest steering I've ever experience in any of the performance-oriented cars.
same here. the E55 felt heavy as hell. and even with the stiff or sport, setting for the suspension, its still a biag A$$ car and lazzy..
Old 10-23-08, 01:01 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I do not get why people car so much about power...you can make any car have more power easily...but you can't change the handling easily best is power and handling and for that kind of money there are many alternatives
Old 10-23-08, 01:09 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Really? Reviews of the E63 have praised its handling??? Doesn't handle like a GTR but for a large sports sedan, it handles quite well.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/mercedes-e63-amg/

The E63’s handling is on another level entirely; it’s the best I’ve experienced from any vehicle in the Mercedes line. The car corners flatly and briskly, completely belying the gravitation effects of the sedan’s weight (4063 lbs.) and size (16” from top to tail).
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Okay, lots of power, lots of go, no surprise there. But the surprise — a pleasant one — lay in the distinction between the standard Mercedes Airmatic suspension and the AMG-tuned Airmatic suspension. Wow. With the stability control turned off, the Benz could be pitched and tossed and power-oversteered without intervention. Think high-end drift car. Think, as Larry Webster remarked in the logbook, "best Mercedes sports sedan I've ever driven."
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ans/index.html

Even under pressure, the nose of the E63 finds it easy to stay close to the apex. As a result, the driver is more inclined to light up the rear tires in crowd-stopping fashion. The trouble is that you can slide the Benz only with stability control off, so there is no intermediate safety net such as M Dynamic Mode in the M5 or traction control off in the S6. Unlike the BMW, which feels a little twitchy as it nears the limit of adhesion, the AMG hugs the tarmac.
My friend has a E55 and it's a blast to drive. And although the E55 "feels" quicker d/t the torque advantage, the E63 and E55 are pretty much equally fast (4.3 0-60 times). But the E63 is a far better daily driver, smoother acceleration, better brakes, and better exterior styling IMO. But the E55 is a beast off the line

Quick Reply: Test Drove a E55 AMG.....OMG