Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So Jaguar XJR's are going for mid 20K now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 09:03 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Jaguar doesn't make the X-type anymore.
Actually Jaguar does still make the X-Type (it's recently had a mild facelift) - they just don't export it to the US anymore.

Consumer magazine "Which" looked at the last 8 years and rated Jaguar as a brand as average for reliability, alongside Audi and Mercedes. Winner was Honda, with Lexus in 4th place. However, the big Jags, particularly the XJ rate as good for reliability and on initial quality rating match Lexus. With it's aluminium body a 3.0V6 can return decent performance and 26+mpg. I'd definitley consider one.
Old 10-24-08, 06:14 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't belive jaguar deprecation, I have seen v6 xjr's for $8,000, V8 xjr's for $12,000 and XK8's for $10-12,000. Great peformence bargains if you can deal with the headaches. Also why is there no active U.S. jaguar forum?
Old 10-24-08, 07:57 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
crap quality, the company is on the edge ( jag and ford). I wouldnt touch that thing. Its almost as bad as a early 90's ford or audi. stay away. I admit I rented one 2 years ago to treat myself on a trip to LA. The power is truely amazing and the ride quality is top notch. I would just get a used lexus instead. I know the price is very very tempting, but just look up consumer reports rankings for the car.
Quality IS NOT reliability.
Old 10-24-08, 11:49 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The only problem I ever had with my 99 XJR was the gas mileage bought it with 101,000 miles for $20,000 in 2003 & sold it with 140,000 miles. the years to buy are 2003 for the previous body style or 2006 & newer.

Gas prices made me sell it & buy IS350
Old 10-26-08, 07:04 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

quibble about reliability but I bet you this car won't leave you stranded on the side of a highway with a flashing "D4".

Accord/TL/Pilot/Odyssey/MDX - All garbage transmissions - period.
Old 10-26-08, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Quality IS NOT reliability.
Really??? I cant even believe you posted that statement. Quality is directly related to reliability in the automotive world. jaguars are valued the way they are because the quality and reliability is trash.
Old 10-26-08, 10:40 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Jaguar doesn't make the X-type anymore.
Thank goodness, no more "Jaguar/Contour."

XJ = sedan
XK = coupe/convertible

Either must lease horribly due to the awful resale.
Old 11-08-09, 10:51 AM
Doggystyle
Driver School Candidate

i have not heard of ANY reliability issues with 04+ xj cars. And i've every review there is. i'm considering upgrading from my LS to a XJR because it might cost too much to make my lex that fast. i've seen a couple 04 xjr's sell for 18000 btw
Old 11-08-09, 05:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Really??? I cant even believe you posted that statement. Quality is directly related to reliability in the automotive world. jaguars are valued the way they are because the quality and reliability is trash.
Perhaps the definition of quality should be further defragmented.

Build quality = well, Jags are more handmade than other brands, which can be less reliable than computer/machine made brands. But if you think about it, even some of Lexus's leather and wood are all hand-stitched and hand-polished. So, it can go either way.

Material quality = we can't deny the fact that Jaguar's textiles, leathers, and plastics are some of the best in the world. Even Lexus can't compare to handmade British material quality. If Jaguar's material quality is trash, then everyone else's is manure.

Technological quality = no, Jaguar does not reign in this. Japanese cars have far superior technological quality than Jag.

Mechanical quality = Jag's engines are not that advanced when you compare it to Lexus or BMW. However, having a supercharged V8 that pumps out 500+ hp is something truly desirable. Transmission issues may not be the best out there (in fact, I heard Jag's transmissions are outright horrendous), but mechanical quality can still be categorized as good. Trash? No. Best? Absolutely not.

Initial quality = seems that Jags have had good initial quality in the most recent years. But that does not directly correlate to long-term reliability. Both are somewhat independent based on material quality and build quality.

So, the trash talk is a bit inappropriate. Yes, Jags have issues. But the new Jags are far from trash...
Old 11-08-09, 07:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the depreciation of these Jags really that much worse than high end BMW and Benz models lately, no it's not.
Old 11-08-09, 07:42 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Is the depreciation of these Jags really that much worse than high end BMW and Benz models lately, no it's not.
Cars that went for more than $100k new, three years ago, are selling for $20-25k. If that's not horrendous depreciation, then I don't know what is.
Old 11-08-09, 07:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Cars that went for more than $100k new, three years ago, are selling for $20-25k. If that's not horrendous depreciation, then I don't know what is.
Exactly, that's horrible depreciation, just like the cars it competes with have horrible depreciation too.
Old 11-08-09, 07:51 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly, that's horrible depreciation, just like the cars it competes with have horrible depreciation too.
The high end BMWs and MBs are only going cheap now because of major facelifts and overhauls for the newer model years... not because they depreciate horrendously (not that they don't, just not nearly as much as a Jag).

I'm planning on picking up an XFR for cheap in a few years.
Old 11-08-09, 07:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
The high end BMWs and MBs are only going cheap now because of major facelifts and overhauls for the newer model years... not because they depreciate horrendously (not that they don't, just not nearly as much as a Jag).

Yes, anybody can guess and speculate as to why they all have very high depreciation rates, but the bottom line is all these high-end Jags, BMWs and MBs have horrible depreciation.
Old 11-08-09, 10:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Doggystyle
i have not heard of ANY reliability issues with 04+ xj cars. And i've every review there is. i'm considering upgrading from my LS to a XJR because it might cost too much to make my lex that fast. i've seen a couple 04 xjr's sell for 18000 btw
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term_road_test

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ged/index.html

Seems like the XF at least still has the same issues that have plagued Jaguar over the years. I have read many are having issues with this car and it seems Jaguar has not gotten decent reliability down yet. It is a shame because it is such a beautiful car.

Quick Reply: So Jaguar XJR's are going for mid 20K now?