Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan working on four-door Infiniti based on GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 04:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think they might make this into a 4 door coupe type thing seeing how a lot of Nissan's line ups are starting to aim directly at Porsche

so it will directly compete against Panamera
Old 10-24-08, 06:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont know how accurate that is. The entire idea behind this car was supposed to be a 4 door GTR. I dont think they are going to ditch the motor from the GTR, that is the main attraction. the M5 and M6 share an engine. so will the 4 door GTR . I have a family member that works for nissan corporate. I will ask her. Its probably to far out to get any solid info though. Thats why I dont buy the fact that the motor swap is accurate or set in stone.
Old 10-25-08, 12:57 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2. Infiniti continues to be either rebadged NIssans or share to much with them, down to the new Nissan interiors. This is Nissan based again. Expensive Infinitis have trouble selling in the 50k plus market (we never have known how many M45s are sold, they never seperated numbers, we know every Q45 sold poorly)

Overall, I said since day one that a Nissan version of the GT-R does make sense, so I applaud it. Count another one in the "SICK got it right" column
I fail to see how its "GTR-Based". The problem is the fact that most of the media is too quick to jump on the "based off" comments. The media jumped on the "G35 is based off the 350Z", when the Skyline 350GT was actually introduced a few months before in Japan than the Z33 Fairlady Z. Does that make the Z based off of the G35? I think the proper statement is based off of the FM platform (which debuted on the Skyline 350GT [G35]).

If its going to use a V8, different interior, different badge, different styling, I just don't see it being based off the "GTR". The article itself shows its dinstinct differences.

I agree though, I don't think theres much to lose for Infiniti for trying this idea out. The key will be how they execute this idea.

If they happen to tune the 5.0 V8 aggresively, it will surely be a blast to drive!
Old 10-25-08, 01:21 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
M3 is based on regular 3-series, C63 AMG is based on regular C-class, IS-F is based on regular IS, S4/RS4 are based on regular A4, CTS-V is based on regular CTS, then a super G should be based on a regular G, turbocharging it seems like a great move to me.
All of that is true. But all those offshoots are low-volume niche cars.

Infiniti needs a sedan above the M more than it needs another G variant. They have the parts to make a superb one in the GT-R.
Old 10-25-08, 05:18 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Borg-Werner is a bootleg tranny? Wow.
Please read.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25509
Old 10-25-08, 05:22 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
So pretty much its nothing like the GT-R?
Haha basically sounds that way. Maybe they'll have the same door handles
Old 10-25-08, 05:57 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

well ....lets think about it....GT-R is approx 80k and a 4DR version of it with the same guts as a GT-R must be same if not more than 80K....Is there a market for ultra Infiniti sedan??? Bad move!!
Old 02-12-09, 04:16 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool On Hold

Carlos Ghosn’s drastic cost cutting annoucement has killed the Nissan 200SX replacement project, AutoCar reports, and the Infiniti Saloon program based on the GT-R has been put on the back burner for the time being.

It had been common knowledge that Nissan was producing a compact, rear-wheel drive sportscar for a few years but Monday’s announcement that Nissan’s joining the long list of automakers facing financial difficulties has led to a change of plans. The company is instead looking to concentrate on smaller cars and has approached the American congress expressing interest in producing an electric vehicle to rival set to debut next year.

Old 02-12-09, 04:42 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/12/n...n-prius-fight/
Old 02-12-09, 04:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69
Carlos Ghosn’s drastic cost cutting annoucement has killed the Nissan 200SX replacement project, AutoCar reports, and the Infiniti Saloon program based on the GT-R has been put on the back burner for the time being.

eeeewwwwhhh, Stewie made a doodie here...
Old 02-12-09, 08:57 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

^ not feeling that at all
Keep it 2 door,keep it Nissan and make it cheaper!!
Old 02-12-09, 09:10 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...n-luggage.html

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/infiniti-...va-motor-show/

It has been established that Infiniti will reveal its latest concept car at the Geneva Motor Show next month; however, the only available detail is that it will be equipped with a bespoke set of Louis Vuitton luggage. The high-end luggage store invited Shiro Nakamura, the Infiniti CEO for design, and presented him with one of the pieces of the luggage set. This is not something new for Louis Vuitton which has been designing bespoke luggage for unique vehicles for quite some time already. This could lead to a long and fruitful partnership between Infiniti and Louis Vuitton. Concerning the concept, however, Infiniti said that the concept car symbolizes the commemoration of the brand and 20 years of creating high-end sport vehicles and added that it will be an exploration of future possibilities for the brand. The concept will be revealed on March 3 together with the latest G37 Convertible which will be making its European introduction at the Geneva Motor Show.

Old 02-12-09, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Alright my 2 cents. if any Japanese brand gets some slack, its Nissan. They still have the Z and Skyline and GT-R. The Sylvia was icing on the cake. Would have loved an Inifiniti GT-R but Ghosn will not sign off on anything that won't sell or make money.

I am REALLY concerened about the effort Infiniti will now get in Europe. I think it will now be a lame duck as they brought Europe all the wrong engines. With the economy crashing worldwide, its just the exact wrong time to debut there.

Sometimes I swear the brand can't get a break

Old 02-13-09, 09:41 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Nissan based under Infiniti???

Would this have any chance of hitting before 2013?? Any chance of this flying below $100K....
Old 02-14-09, 02:31 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skater
I fail to see how its "GTR-Based". The problem is the fact that most of the media is too quick to jump on the "based off" comments. The media jumped on the "G35 is based off the 350Z", when the Skyline 350GT was actually introduced a few months before in Japan than the Z33 Fairlady Z. Does that make the Z based off of the G35? I think the proper statement is based off of the FM platform (which debuted on the Skyline 350GT [G35]).

If its going to use a V8, different interior, different badge, different styling, I just don't see it being based off the "GTR". The article itself shows its dinstinct differences.

I agree though, I don't think theres much to lose for Infiniti for trying this idea out. The key will be how they execute this idea.

If they happen to tune the 5.0 V8 aggresively, it will surely be a blast to drive!

Exactly. The skyline 350GT did come out before the Z. So in reality, everyones talk of every infiniti being based on the Z is wrong.

Quick Reply: Nissan working on four-door Infiniti based on GT-R