Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 03:37 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C63 vs is-f

I have driven both the c63 and the is-f . As far as interior quality I didn't like either one in terms of quality of materials especially compared to the 2008 cadillac CTS . But the mercedes interior fits much tighter and is more solid than the lexus is-f 's interior . As far as the drive between these two cars , well there is a BIG difference and the mercedes wins big time here in all aspects of driving experience . The merc C63 is simply "Solid" on the road and to be fair this is lexus first crack at competing with the big boys , so give them a few years to iron out some issues and refine the is-f .
B D HEMI
Old 10-25-08, 06:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Henry.

Agreed. I take that into consideration when I list plusses and minuses. While a sport sedan may have a slightly louder exhaust than a traditional luxury sedan, it shouldn't sound like a Ferrari. The M3, for example, at least to my ears, didn't seem to idle or run as loud as the C63....but it has been several months since I drove it. The IS-F, as I remember it, was loud when you poured the power on, but idled quietly.

True to an extent. But the E63 and CLS63 have even more confusing gadgets on the dash and console to distract you. To my eyes, the new Jag XF interior really spoils you..........that's one of the best interiors I've seen in a long time, though, like Mercedes, it has some quirky controls.
points very well taken on the sound issues. now i understand what you were trying to communicate
Old 10-26-08, 03:17 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UberNoob
another jolly good review

bravo, mmarshall!

so interior quality wise, does it go like this? IS-F > RS4 > M3 > C63?

or RS4 > IS-F > M3 > C63?
Being in all these cars at the last auto show, here are my personal rankings and opinions on their interiors.

1. IS-F -

Instrument Cluster is awesome. Navigation/Radio is the most intuitive but I am not really feeling the silver carbon fiber accents. However, maybe its just me but I dont see or feel too much of a difference between it and the regular IS.

2. C63 -

Seats are super aggressively snug. Dash flows very well with the Navigation popping out out. However, no touch screen and interface is not intuitive

3. M3 -

Plain and not feeling it either. Nav and controls are as intuitive as the C63 above

4. RS4 -

Plain. Uninteresting. Feels like I am in a VW Jeta or something. Definitely lags behind the other 3 by far

Last edited by xknowonex; 10-26-08 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-26-08, 03:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Those super-snug seats in the C63 are fine as long as you're not too large. They are OK for small-to-medium size adults, but marginal for guys my size ....6' 2", 265 lb.
Old 10-26-08, 04:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by primecut
Thanks for the review. The comments on details are very enjoyable.
Thanks. That's one of the features of my reviews.....to describe the car in detail. You can check an auto enthusiast magazine to get performance and track figures....my reviews are not for that. My job, as I see it, is to tell you exactly what you get for your money's worth, from stem to stern.

When did you test the IS-F? Do you know if it was a full production model? I had a family friend who had the privilege of driving the pre-production IS-F, and he also complained that the stiff ride was unbearable. I believe this was done because Lexus tuned the pre-production models for the track. They were also significantly lower in ride-height. It seems that Lexus has softened up the ride since then. When you get the chance, I definitely recommend driving it again to see if there is a difference.
I drove an early-production model last April........one of the first ones shipped to the D.C. area for public sale at a dealership. It was not a prototype or pre-production model. It was fine on relatively smooth surfaces, and a good performer, but simply too stiff for my tastes on bumps, especially raised bumps/heaves, where it bounced up and down like a rubber ball.
Old 10-26-08, 05:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

The IS-F doesn't quite have the C63's torque below 3500...its acceleration lags, then hits suddenly between 3600 and 4000 when the secondary cams cut in.
Great review, mmarshall, thanks.
I haven't driven the C63 but I did drive a full production ISF at Moroso earlier this year. Some people talk about the
sudden burst of acceleration at 3,500 RPM, and although there is a huge audible note from the secondary air intake
at that RPM, I felt that the *burst* of acceleration that most people spoke of was mosly audible, and can fool you
into thinking that it was acceleratin faster than it was. Ignoring the air intake noise at 3,500 RPM, the torqe curve is
much flatter than it sounds.
Old 10-26-08, 09:27 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Yes, I agree the 335xi is not quite as brute-powerful or as hard-edged as these cars, but in terms of what it gives you for the money, I think it is a better buy, dollar-for-dollar, has a superb chassis, has 300 turbo HP/torque (that's actually slightly more torque than the M3's 295), has an AWD xi version if desired (The C63, M3, and IS-F don't), and costs 47K in the version I reviewed. The IS-F, IMO, has a rear suspension that is far too stiff on rough roads, making it bounce up and down like a porpoise, and the M3 and C63 cost too much. The RS-4, agreed, has AWD, but it also costs an arm and a leg.

I was extremely impressed with what the 335i did offer for the price, and, while not cheap, I felt it substantially exceeded the cars you mentioned for dollar value. It also is far more civilized on rough roads, with the typical superb BMW chassis ride/handling balance, particularly with its Sport package....the handling approaches that of the M3, while retaining a noticeably smoother ride.

I know there are those who disagree with me on this, especially on the 335i vs. M3 issue, but I've driven both cars and that's the way I see it, at least for daily driving and general street use. The M3, yes, would be better on a track (mainly on sharp curves), but the 335, IMO, is much better....and more cost-effective.......for general street use.

Of course. Glad to help.
Thanks for the reply.

I guess the perception of value is the real question here. Pricing each of the cars out fully loaded so they're on even terms they come out in Canada at:
335 xi sedan = $62 400
M3 sedan = $83 295
C63 AMG = $77 265
IS F = $68 916

The RS4 isn't worth talking about in this price range as fully loaded it's over $100K up here.

I can see your point on the 335xi vs. M3. Would I pay $21K more for the M....hmmm....maybe not.

But for $6500 with the F, I get 116 hp and 71 lb/ft more...plus a more functional, better looking interior (imo), AND Lexus' reliability and service. Worth the upgrade, again, imo.

No, I don't sell Lexus'...lol...I just love my F and think that there is good value in it compared to its competitors.
Old 10-26-08, 09:43 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This car looks outstanding.
Old 10-26-08, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Thanks for the reply.[
Sure. I almost always reply to questions and comments. I would expect others to do the same for me.

I can see your point on the 335xi vs. M3. Would I pay $21K more for the M....hmmm....maybe not.
Yes. Some people feel the M3's added equipment is worth the price. I dont, especially when you look at what the 335 does give you in comparison....starting with an equal amount of torque, and at lower RPM.

But for $6500 with the F, I get 116 hp and 71 lb/ft more...plus a more functional, better looking interior (imo), AND Lexus' reliability and service. Worth the upgrade, again, imo.
If it's torque you want, get an AMG..........but, of course, you pay for them. There's little question, however, that the Lexus will be more reliable.
Old 10-26-08, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=IS350jet;3952085]Great review, mmarshall, thanks.[QUOTE]

Sure. Anytime.

I haven't driven the C63 but I did drive a full production ISF at Moroso earlier this year. Some people talk about the
sudden burst of acceleration at 3,500 RPM, and although there is a huge audible note from the secondary air intake
at that RPM, I felt that the *burst* of acceleration that most people spoke of was mosly audible, and can fool you
into thinking that it was acceleratin faster than it was. Ignoring the air intake noise at 3,500 RPM, the torqe curve is
much flatter than it sounds.
The LS-F I drove in April, over 3500 RPM, had a lot more than just noise....trust me. It wasn't quite up to the C63, though, under the admittedly limited conditions I was driving it in. Its chassis was also not quite as well-rounded as the Mercedes, being much too stiff for rough roads.
Old 10-26-08, 04:33 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review. I did find the IS-F's interior to be slightly better than the C63 IMO.
Old 10-26-08, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Great review.
Thanks.

I did find the IS-F's interior to be slightly better than the C63 IMO.
Maybe in a couple of things. I liked the silver/textured aluminum carbon-fiber console, smart-looking gauges, always-superb Lexus stereo, and nice seat leather. Other than that, the IS-F's interior was nothing to write home about............and its back seat was more sardine-like than the C63's.
Old 10-26-08, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Wow great review Mike. I posted in the racing forum when I got smoked by one, pretty funny.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=377066

In riding with my G/F we have come across a couple more, she is not into cars but always points it out.

I think the exhaust is FANTASTIC. I love it.

I agree about the interior. Very blah. Great seats though.

Old 10-26-08, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow great review Mike.
Thanks.

I posted in the racing forum when I got smoked by one, pretty funny.
Maybe just as well.........if you can keep up with a full-grunt C63 on a public road, your license may be in jeopardy.

I think the exhaust is FANTASTIC. I love it.
Agreed.....for a sports car or exotic, it is great. But for a sport/luxury sedan? That's another matter. Henry (Rominl) and I had a discussion about that a number several posts ago.

I agree about the interior. Very blah. Great seats though.
Although you're a couple of inches taller than me, your torso and hips are no doubt slimmer than mine, and seemingly have no problem. I'm EXACTLY on the limit of
what those ultra-sharp seat bolsters can handle without being stuffed in with a shoe horn.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-08 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 08:06 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe in a couple of things. I liked the silver/textured aluminum carbon-fiber console, smart-looking gauges, always-superb Lexus stereo, and nice seat leather. Other than that, the IS-F's interior was nothing to write home about............and its back seat was more sardine-like than the C63's.
Yes, I thought the IS-F could have a little bit better interior too when compared to other lexus of similar price and I also found the seats of the C63 (Leather) to be superior to the IS-F. I agree with the space in the back but build quality wise the IS-F.

I liked the interior of the E63 AMG better than the C63, I know they are quite similar, but I was hopping for the same feel( From what I can remember, I test drove the E63 earlier this year) I was going to get the E63 as the wifes run around b/c there was nothing to compare in the Lexus lineup, but that was nipped in the bud pretty quickly as the car was "too big" for her.

I also found the IS-F to be, how do you put it , have a more solid feel to it when driving. The C63 seemed to vibrate a bit (maybe that was just the exhaust, but I could not put my finger on it as I drove them a few months apart)

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG