Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 03:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
( From what I can remember, I test drove the E63 earlier this year) I was going to get the E63 as the wifes run around b/c there was nothing to compare in the Lexus lineup, but that was nipped in the bud pretty quickly as the car was "too big" for her.
And if you or your wife want an E63, you better have some spare cash lying around in your bank account (as you probably found out on your test-drive).
The one I reviewed listed for $94,000.......the most expensive car I have ever reviewed or driven, outside of a used, right-hand-drive Rolls-Royce that belonged to a limo firm a friend of mine drove for.
Old 10-27-08, 08:02 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And if you or your wife want an E63, you better have some spare cash lying around in your bank account (as you probably found out on your test-drive).
The one I reviewed listed for $94,000.......the most expensive car I have ever reviewed or driven, outside of a used, right-hand-drive Rolls-Royce that belonged to a limo firm a friend of mine drove for.
You guys have it good over there, at the current rate I was looking at $171,000 US dollars. The C63 is about $110,000 US dollars and the IS-F is about $105,000 US dollars.

I tried to do a lot of convincing, but she wants a car that is small enough for her to be able to get through the streets with out any hassle. She wasn't concerned with the extra cash b/c she liked the feel of the car. That is the only reason we have held onto the Altezza so long. I thought it was small enough (the E63), but it is not me who will be driving it through the narrow streets around here. And believe me, when a two way street is only as wide as one car it can be tricky.

Just for referance, the 600hL is roughly the same price as the E63.

Last edited by Dave600hL; 10-27-08 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-27-08, 08:08 AM
LeGiT SaaB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These things are loud as hell!

Poor gas mileage from a 6.3L V8?? When did this happen?
Old 10-27-08, 10:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB

6.2L.............

amg never really have good gas mileage
Old 10-27-08, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
6.2L.............

Just look at the price sticker. 11 City, 19 Highway, and a Federal $2100 Gas guzzler tax. With an AMG, you pay to play.
Old 10-27-08, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeGiT SaaB
For a sport/luxury sedan, yes, I agree the exhaust note is loud. I noted that in the review.

AMG are not econoboxes. Never were.
Old 10-27-08, 05:04 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Being in all these cars at the last auto show, here are my personal rankings and opinions on their interiors.

1. IS-F -

Instrument Cluster is awesome. Navigation/Radio is the most intuitive but I am not really feeling the silver carbon fiber accents. However, maybe its just me but I dont see or feel too much of a difference between it and the regular IS.

2. C63 -

Seats are super aggressively snug. Dash flows very well with the Navigation popping out out. However, no touch screen and interface is not intuitive

3. M3 -

Plain and not feeling it either. Nav and controls are as intuitive as the C63 above

4. RS4 -

Plain. Uninteresting. Feels like I am in a VW Jeta or something. Definitely lags behind the other 3 by far

that's not a fair comparison using the RS4 which is based on a A4 platform from 6 years ago to the new platforms of the other cars. Check out the new Audi interiors. I have a S5 and I have to say the great interior (as well as exterior) of the car is what keeps me from switching over to these much better performing machines. Now when the RS5 comes out, it will be the King for sure.
Old 10-27-08, 05:23 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

It's not a Prius, but I'm relatively happy with my E63's MPG. Mileage is better than expected on the freeway. But please don't ask about city driving

Here's a pic from last weekend...driving on the 405 from Santa Monica to Irvine. There was moderate traffic but also nice pockets of open road.

Definitely wasn't babying the car either, I opened it up every chance I got
Old 10-27-08, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, to me if i get a performance car of this kind, gas mileage can be a plus, but certainly won't be high up on my consideration list
Old 10-27-08, 06:39 PM
LexFather

I could care less about gas mileage. If you get high gas mileage in one of these cars, you are driving it wrong

Old 10-27-08, 06:51 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

lol, to me if i get a performance car of this kind, gas mileage can be a plus, but certainly won't be high up on my consideration list
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I could care less about gas mileage. If you get high gas mileage in one of these cars, you are driving it wrong
Exactly!
Old 10-27-08, 06:57 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Great Review mmarshall

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly. And those are some of the minuses that go with sport-oriented cars ......just as acceleration and handling are some of the plusses. There's nothing wrong with what I posted....it is what is to be expected.
A noisy exhaust, as long as it sounds good, is a great thing for many car enthusiasts. And low clearance, as long as it looks great, is a sacrifice many enthusiasts are willing to take.
Old 10-27-08, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skater
Great Review mmarshall
Thanks. I put a lot of time and effort into my reviews, although, without a digital camera or the skills to use and download it, I sometimes have a hard time finding accurate google images to post.

A noisy exhaust, as long as it sounds good, is a great thing for many car enthusiasts.
Yes, there may be a place for loud mufflers, but I wonder if those "enthusiasts" still feel that way at 2 AM when they are trying to sleep?

I do agree, however, that, though a little loud for my tastes, the C63's tone is one of the better-sounding ones, especially compared to the flat, nasal tone typically heard on V8 Mustangs.

And low clearance, as long as it looks great, is a sacrifice many enthusiasts are willing to take.

Again, fine, until you're looking at thousands of dollars to replace lower-body parts torn off or damaged by speed bumps and ramps. And Mercedes parts, especially, don't come cheap.........trust me.
Old 10-27-08, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
It's not a Prius, but I'm relatively happy with my E63's MPG. Mileage is better than expected on the freeway. But please don't ask about city driving

Here's a pic from last weekend...driving on the 405 from Santa Monica to Irvine. There was moderate traffic but also nice pockets of open road.

Definitely wasn't babying the car either, I opened it up every chance I got

You're right. It is sometimes possible to get several MPG more than the EPA highway rating if you drive moderately, mostly on level or downhill roads, and/or use the cruise control. My Outback is rated at 28 Highway....going from D.C to the ocean last month, I got almost 32 at moderate speeds, cruise on, and A/C off. Using the A/C on the way back dropped it only 2 MPG....down to 30.

And keep this in mind.........with many cars, including mine (I don't know why), the trip computer usually shows about 2 MPG high in actual fuel use. Unless you actually verified that 23.4 MPG when you filled up, you were probably getting 21 or 22. For instance, when I got that 32 (which was outstanding for an AWD car like mine) the trip computer was reading around 34.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-27-08 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-27-08, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Well, now that gas is down to $2.50 again (a little more for premium) people may be starting to feel that way again. But when it was well over $4 not long ago, the talk was all about conserving.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG