Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, to me if i get a performance car of this kind, gas mileage can be a plus, but certainly won't be high up on my consideration list
I take it, then, that you won't mind the $2100 Federal Pick-Your-Pocket Gas tax that goes along with that low mileage, too?
Old 10-27-08, 08:50 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And keep this in mind.........with many cars, including mine (I don't know why), the trip computer usually shows about 2 MPG high in actual fuel use. Unless you actually verified that 23.4 MPG when you filled up, you were probably getting 21 or 22. For instance, when I got that 32 (which was outstanding for an AWD car like mine) the trip computer was reading around 34.
Ha, I'm not that concerned about MPG. I was just glad to see it above the 12 MPG I usually get around the city...hard to avoid stomping the gas

Just wanted to show that the 63's engine is capable of decent MPG.
Old 10-27-08, 10:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I take it, then, that you won't mind the $2100 Federal Pick-Your-Pocket Gas tax that goes along with that low mileage, too?
i wouldn't want to, but if i like the car enough i'd pay. to be honest, 2k out of 6xk isn't that much. it's like paying 60k for the car and then worry about spending another 1k on clear bra

i'd be very honest and say while gas can be a concern, but for those who can REALLY afford 60k plus (not to mention 90k for the next level and 6 figures for the higher level) for a car like this (performance oriented), gas shouldn't be a primary concern. i am not saying it's not a concern at all, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Old 10-28-08, 02:12 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i wouldn't want to, but if i like the car enough i'd pay. to be honest, 2k out of 6xk isn't that much. it's like paying 60k for the car and then worry about spending another 1k on clear bra

i'd be very honest and say while gas can be a concern, but for those who can REALLY afford 60k plus (not to mention 90k for the next level and 6 figures for the higher level) for a car like this (performance oriented), gas shouldn't be a primary concern. i am not saying it's not a concern at all, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
I was looking at the C63 and the IS-f and to be honest I have not looked once at what both of them got in the fuel ecconomy departement. I agree it does not even come into the equation.
Actually, I don't think I have looked at the fuel ecconomy on any car that I have bought in the last few years. I did not even know where the guage was that told you how many kilometers per liter on the 600hL until someone pointed it out to me on this site.
Old 10-28-08, 09:19 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I could care less about gas mileage. If you get high gas mileage in one of these cars, you are driving it wrong
You mean like people with an SL65 driving 50mph on the freeway, with no traffic in site

Awesome review as usual MMarshall. Lots of big hp car reviews you've been doing lately
Old 10-28-08, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

Awesome review as usual MMarshall. Lots of big hp car reviews you've been doing lately
Thanks. I review everything from Smart cars and entry-level econoboxes to 500 HP supercars, as long as it's something reasonably available to the public, which, of course, cuts out some of the exotics. (There are a LOT of dealerships in my area, and I am fortunate to have such a great variety close to home).

I usually do reviews by request or by a demonstrated level of CL interest, although sometimes just for my own curiosity or requests outside of CL. I also do a special review every December (for the holiday season) on a special, unique and expensive car that has drawn a lot of CL interest. This year it may (?) be the Cadillac CTS-V...I'll wait and see.

Right now, the Audi A4 is next.....I just got a request for that today.
Old 10-28-08, 05:33 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mmarshall,

Thanks for another 1st class review

I learned some new things about the car and the discussion in this thread has been informative too.

But you know me, my car has to be AWD So +1 if your up for reviewing the new A4 next! I had a '98 A4 Quattro for over 8 years before getting my IS and would be interested in your thoughts and impression of the new A4.

TripleL
Old 10-28-08, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Mmarshall,

Thanks for another 1st class review [[
Sure. Anytime.

But you know me, my car has to be AWD So +1 if your up for reviewing the new A4 next! I had a '98 A4 Quattro for over 8 years before getting my IS and would be interested in your thoughts and impression of the new A4.

TripleL
A4's coming up....maybe tomorrow or Thursday. I just found out, though, that Audi replaced the DSG in the new 2009 A4 with a modified Tiptronic, but Quattro AWD is available with it. The DSG, as I understand it, is now only on the A3 and TT.

Stay tuned.
Old 10-28-08, 06:10 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
4. RS4 -

Plain. Uninteresting. Feels like I am in a VW Jeta or something. Definitely lags behind the other 3 by far
Well yes but that interior easily outclasses the other three you listed in terms of fit/finish and materials choice, as well as ergonomics. The new B8 A4 is even better...

Old 10-28-08, 06:18 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A4's coming up.... Stay tuned.
Will do .. Thank you