Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota considering leaving F1 for LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 06:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota considering leaving F1 for LeMans

Toyota considering leaving F1 for LeMans

It's been known for some time that Toyota is very interested in competing in LeMans, sending squads of racing engineers and observers to the races both in Europe and the American series. Now word has broken that Toyota may be considering a switch from the costly and thankless world of Formula One to the storied Le Mans series.

Speaking at the F1 Grand Prix in Shanghai, Toyota representative Tadashi Tamashina said, "We would like to go to Le Mans. The final decision for Le Mans depends on the budget. Under the present economic conditions, it is unlikely that Formula 1 and Le Mans can be done in parallel. It is an either-or situation." The rising likelihood of a spec-engine in F1 would drive Toyota from the sport, Yamashina added, according to Auto Motor & Sport.

Earlier this week Max Mosley proposed to do just that for the 2010-2012 seasons, but a meeting in Geneva on Tuesday between the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) and the FIA resulted in a cost-cutting agreement that obviates the spec-engine shift before 2010. After 2010, however, the window remains open, meaning Toyota may already be gearing up to go to Le Mans.

Le Mans isn't without its own rules changes and drama, however. New chassis and engine rules are to come into effect in the 2011 season. Already Honda, which competes in both Le Mans and F1, has begun implementing hybrid solutions in its Le Mans cars, but the lessons Toyota learns in F1 next year with its own hybrid systems could translate to the Le Mans series with little loss in R&D value.

Toyota already has a great deal of experience in endurance racing thanks to its involvement in the Rolex Grand Am series through its Lexus motorsports program.

Only time, and the politics of the individual series, will tell, but the future of Toyota F1 racing appears to be in jeopardy.

http://www.motorauthority.com/toyota...or-lemans.html
Old 10-24-08, 07:00 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should race the LFA if it ever gets produced
Old 10-24-08, 07:13 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sigh...kinda makes you sad really. What happened to the great Toyota & Honda engines of the 90s?
Old 10-24-08, 07:42 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIA screwed toyota over and over. I don't see why they should stay.
Old 10-24-08, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Lexus needs to be in LeMans. Not the Toyota brand.

Old 10-24-08, 10:20 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

toyota spent soooooo much money in F1 for such little return... well i guess i better order my Panasonic/Toyota F1 apparel now...
Old 10-24-08, 10:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yet another Motor Authority article that has no factual basis .

Toyota is staying in F1 *at least* until 2011. The whole spec-engine controversy has been alleviated for now. If a spec engine was implemented in F1, not just Toyota would leave, but a number of other teams. Ferrari, BMW, Renault, and Honda were all angry about the spec-engine idea, as well as Toyota.

I find it strange for Toyota to say that they cannot compete in both F1 and LeMans at the same time. Rumours continue to persist that while Toyota remains in F1, they will enter LeMans with a car based on the technology used in the race-winning Supra HV-R.
Old 10-24-08, 11:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

F1 vs LeMans - there's a difference?

I suspect that in the U.S. about a dozen people care whether Toyota or Lexus is involved in either.
Old 10-24-08, 11:58 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yet another Motor Authority article that has no factual basis .

Toyota is staying in F1 *at least* until 2011. The whole spec-engine controversy has been alleviated for now. If a spec engine was implemented in F1, not just Toyota would leave, but a number of other teams. Ferrari, BMW, Renault, and Honda were all angry about the spec-engine idea, as well as Toyota.

I find it strange for Toyota to say that they cannot compete in both F1 and LeMans at the same time. Rumours continue to persist that while Toyota remains in F1, they will enter LeMans with a car based on the technology used in the race-winning Supra HV-R.
Factual statements where made. Yes, Toyota WILL be in F1 till at least the end of 2011..... then what?

Have you seen the world economy lately? Toyota did not get where they are going by wasting money. Highly unlikely that they would pony up the $$$ to race in both series. They are already having a budget cut to the F1 team on the way IIRC.

Originally Posted by ElitistK
FIA screwed toyota over and over. I don't see why they should stay.
Agreed 100%. It's a little know fact that Toyota developed a V12 to enter F1 only to have the FIA change the rules to make a V10 obligatory. Then the switch to V8 just as Toyota RVX became one of the best engines on the grid. Then the tyre fiasco.....

That's right Toyota... f'k em I say.

Just one thing. Paint the Le mans Cars in Lexus black/gold and make sure the L logo is shiny.